misfire at idle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibby
  • 1 Post By ubertalldude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

misfire at idle

The bike has been running great ever since I put it on the road. Have ridden 4k miles since June with no problems at all. Today I went to go for a sunset ride after the rain cleared up and it ran with no problems like it always does. Stopped at a store to get some smokes and when I went to leave, it started fine but when I pulled up to the road and went to take off, it started to act like it was misfiring. As I took off I gave it some throttle and it smoothed out and runs fine as long as you are into the throttle or going down the road doing about 40 and above. As soon as you start slowing down, it starts running rough and won't idle and stalls like it's misfiring. I turned the idle screw in to keep it from stalling until I made it home. I pulled the plugs and the back cylinders were fouled and wet so I cleaned them and tried to start it back up. It took a while and was backfiring. It also lit the gas on fire that was in the rear pipe so it had flames coming out of it for a bit...lol....once it started, it did the same thing, runs rough at idle like it's not firing right but when you give it some gas, it starts to clear up and smooths out. Anyone got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Sounds like a dirty float needle and it is flooding.look up Wolfie's back blow mwthod

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

pulled the carbs and cleaned them, bike runs great again.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Mine did the exact same thing this morning. However, instead of igniting the gas in the exhaust pipe, my gas was dripping onto the ground. Do you think running some sea foam in with the gas would clear it up?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Mine did the exact same thing this morning. However, instead of igniting the gas in the exhaust pipe, my gas was dripping onto the ground. Do you think running some sea foam in with the gas would clear it up?
try Wolfie's blowback method

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Was going to try Wolfie's blowback method but the heads of the screws I needed to turn were worn and couldn't get the screws to turn.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up

When I first got mine it started running rough,someone recommended Seafoam. Added a few ounces and after running a half a tank of gas it rran fine and continues to do so. I add some every other tankful and also use it to store the bike.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulywog View Post
When I first got mine it started running rough,someone recommended Seafoam. Added a few ounces and after running a half a tank of gas it rran fine and continues to do so. I add some every other tankful and also use it to store the bike.
Thanks Paulywog. I judt did exactly that. Put 2 ounces of seafoam in and sputtered on down to the gas station to fill up. Got out on the 4-lane and ran it between 75 and 80 for about 30 miles. Stopped to turn around and come back home and the idle rpm was 1100 on the dot. It had been around 500 when idling before this ride.
Paulywog likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:09 AM

2 carbs means twice the trouble! Ethanol free when you can, and/or a bit of seafoam every few tanks for maintenance does wonders for keeping these bikes running nicely.

Glad you got it worked out with an easy solution!
Paulywog likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Thumbs up

Glad to hear it Gibby,I use it regularly,and you can't buy gas in CT that is Ethanol free. Someone posted a pic of the inside of carbs run on Ethanol gas. Looked like cottage cheese.When I store it for winter,snow months,I put in a good dose and warm it up until I see it coming out the exhaust,then I shut the petcock and run it until it dies. Then I take out the battery so I won't be tempted to start it on a 40.degree day in January. In the spring it starts up after just a few hits on the start button. I found out about this stuff on this forum,so I'm happy to pass it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement