Why learning to wrench is such a hoot - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Talking Why learning to wrench is such a hoot

After cleaning up McKnight and getting the carbs back on (following my little experiment with the rebuilt engine), I wanted to take the bike out and see how it was running. Like carp, is about how it was running - see my thread (coming). So, I'm puttering around town, frustrated that the bike's running so lean, frustrated that I can seem to clear it, etc. and finally stopped in a parking lot to check all possible hoses. Young man with a motorcycle in his truck bed walks up to me and offers to help. "When was the last time you had your carbs cleaned?" he asks, very seriously. "This weekend," I said. "Who did the work?" he asks again. "I did. I'd pulled 'em to check the engine I rebuilt, and I just put 'em back on this bike." "Oh." So he looks some more, and I say, "Running lean tonight; got a vacuum leak somewhere," and he looks harder. Then he says, "Where'd you get this bike anyway?" I reply, "From an older gentleman who had the stator blow and he didn't want to do another engine pull. So I bought it and did it myself." "Oh." So I look around and see that the rear carb boot looks like it's slipped a little and start fiddling with that. Also, I had pulled the o-ring and spring out of the petcock, so I mention this to the young man - "I took it from a vacuum to a gravity feed petcock; think I've got the lines hooked up right?" "Um..." With that, he says, "Well, good luck!" and heads back to his truck.

How fun is that? Ok, you guys might not totally understand the gendered empowerment piece of that interaction, but that notwithstanding, how cool is it to know one's bike well enough to say, "Nope, can't be that!"

Ok, now let me go write my thread about the petcock.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Cindy, you rock!

Clearly showed that you had the situation well in hand. Actually, when it's me on the side of the road staring at the bike, I hope it's you that pulls up in the pickup to help me out!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Giggity!

Garage

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
You go girl...I think every woman needs to spend a little bit of time in the garage learning the basics about their ride..no matter what that ride would be. I literally grew up in a garage working on every thing from Ford 8N tractors to Kenworth Logging trucks, and every thing in between. So when I get a new ride I always tear into it trying to learn all there is to know about it. So when I got my Vulcan...there was no exceptions to my rule....I had never worked on a motorcycle before I got my Bike...and wish I would have started years ago. I find garage time to be almost as much fun as riding the bike. Also being able to go to the local rallies and seeing people drooling over my Vulcan and knowing I did all the work my self is very satisfying.

Keep up the good work. And I thank all of you here at VN750.com for your help and patience with me. And to you Cindy....with out those Pick-Up Coils I would still be sitting in the garage. Thanks Girl..You ROCK hard core
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

You da Man....opps.....sorry..... I mean..... You da Woman!!! LOL

Guess you started getting the road side helper a little futher into bikes than he knew!!

And, as I've said before, you're certainly into the Vulcan more than I've ever been. I too would hope it were you that pulled up to me, should I ever be in a pickle on the road side.

Hey, there's a new song to get stuck in your head.....

"I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride on my motor sickle"..............

Wish ya luck in getting Ol' Mcknight rollin' smoothly

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Search Goddess

*LOL* I love it Cindy!
I stopped once to help out a Harley rider. he already had help on the way by the time I doubled back to offer assistance but I still had to tell them how to position the pick-up so they had clearance to laod the bike up then had to tell them how to do the tie-downs. As we are talking I asked him what went wrong.
"I dunno it just died on me, I think the stator is bad"
So I ran through the usual suspects, How old is the bike, how many miles? (certainly not enough to be having stator problems as the bike was fairly new to him with under 5,000 miles) Battery connection? Maintenance free battery? (he didn't know), Have you checked the battery levels? (he wasn't sure where the battery was..)
By this time he is just standing there mouth open and his "friend" is chuckling. He looks over and seeing the Biker Friendly sticker on my X-Terra and the "I'd rather be riding my VN750" sticker and just sorta groans. I wish him luck and head home with a smile on my face.

Believe me Cindy, I know how good that smile feels!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
*LOL* I love it Cindy!
I stopped once to help out a Harley rider. he already had help on the way by the time I doubled back to offer assistance but I still had to tell them how to position the pick-up so they had clearance to laod the bike up then had to tell them how to do the tie-downs. As we are talking I asked him what went wrong.
"I dunno it just died on me, I think the stator is bad"
So I ran through the usual suspects, How old is the bike, how many miles? (certainly not enough to be having stator problems as the bike was fairly new to him with under 5,000 miles) Battery connection? Maintenance free battery? (he didn't know), Have you checked the battery levels? (he wasn't sure where the battery was..)
By this time he is just standing there mouth open and his "friend" is chuckling. He looks over and seeing the Biker Friendly sticker on my X-Terra and the "I'd rather be riding my VN750" sticker and just sorta groans. I wish him luck and head home with a smile on my face.

I'd be please to have either of you lady wrenches help me on the side of the road!

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Chucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
Not to mention the "deer in the headlights" look that causes it. The world needs more dirty girls like you!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
"Um..." With that, he says, "Well, good luck!" and heads back to his truck.

How fun is that? Ok, you guys might not totally understand the gendered empowerment piece of that interaction, but that notwithstanding, how cool is it to know one's bike well enough to say, "Nope, can't be that!"

Ok, now let me go write my thread about the petcock.
ROTFLMAO!! You know, anyone that's been married more than a day can understand how empowering that interaction made you feel. And every not-married guy knows that that dude is going to need therapy, cause now his manhood has been crushed. OMG! A WOMAN with WAY more mechanical knowledge than him? The blow to his machismo and ego were so huge he probably went to the nearest bar to drink himself silly. TFB for him. I have to agree with pretty much everyone here that if I were broken down on the road, I'd pray for someone with your level of experience and ability to be the one who stops, regardless of which bike I'm on. Gender roles are so overrated.

Last edited by AJCruzin; 07-03-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: my spelling skills are questionable...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
working as a mechanic in my professional life, I have learned a very valuable thing about woman mechanics... They either are a way better mechanic than 10 guys put together..or they just suck (quite literally). The first group of female mechanics are in the field because they are good and have a willingness to get down and dirty, they understand they are in man dominated industry and have to work 10 times as hard as a man to prove that they know what they are talking about and they know how to do the job right. Where as the second category of female wrench turners won't get dirty and they took the job because they figured they can get what they need with their "good looks".

I always take my hat off to a good mechanic...male or female...and would love to see more good female wrenchers weather it be professionally or as a hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement