Corbin or Mustang? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Corbin or Mustang?

What do you recommend for a better custom seat, the corbin seat for about $240 or the mustang seat for about $430? Is mustang worth 200 more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 08:22 PM

Re: Corbin or Mustang?

I'll tell you about the Corbin in 3 weeks when I get mine :-)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM

I can't tell ya nothin bout the Mustang saddle but I can tell ya bout the Corbin though. I've had my corbin since this past winter and it sits hard for bout the first 200 miles then it is super soft and a great feel. If you get the Corbin you will probably need to cut the rubber bumpers down a bit like I had to do just to make the saddle fit on the bike easier but it doesn't hurt the saddle at all. In other words Corbin is a great saddle to get.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Forum Faciliator

I have the mustang. Here is my put. I still need to get off it after about two hours of riding. The mustang seat sits you about 1" higher than stock the corbin about 1" lower than stock (rough measurmenets that other have posted)

The mustang came with my bike. But after riding on it for two years and still I get a sore butt after 2+ hours straight in the saddle, here is what I would do.

I would get a corbin: because:
- I like the looks of them better than the mustang, they do nice things to the lines of the bike, and you can get custom colors, etc
- I would then get an airhawk pad, and the custom back rest. The pro-tack back rest works well with the Mustang, but you can't beat the looks of the corbin seat with the backrest. And all of the riders that have tried the airhawk pad swear by them for greatly increased seat comfort.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joboy666
What do you recommend for a better custom seat, the corbin seat for about $240 or the mustang seat for about $430? Is mustang worth 200 more?
Depends entirely on how you're going to use your bike, or what you want to accomplish with a custom seat. I've tried both Corbin and Mustang, and like the Corbin best. But I'm one of the few that does and likes to ride long distances on one. Most distance riders swear by the Mustang for comfort over the Corbin. Two-up riders nearly all go for the Mustang over Corbin.

Folks looking for a lower saddle go for the Corbin. I'm not short, but I like setting down in my VN750 as far as I can get, instead of being perched on top of it. I seldom ride two-up, so the passenger portion of the seat isn't an issue with me.

My butt gets tired on any of the VN750 seats (Stock, Mustang, Corbin), unless I stop and take a break about every hour. Just a short break of 15-20 minutes is all that it takes. I've learned that I can go for a 650-mile day, as long as I take a short break every hour or so. I also have additional pegs to give me more positions for my legs and feet during the ride, which may be as helpful as the stops for a long haul.

CD in Frederick, OK
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 PM

I have the Mustang seat and have had it for a little over a month, and probably 2,500 - 3,000 miles. So far I am NOT enthused with the seat and might switch back to the Stock seat. But, don't take that as a "Never go Mustang" comment, it could just very well be my butt that doesn't like Mustang.

I used to be able to easily ride 3-4 hours on the stock before even beginning to worry about my butt. Now with the Mustang my butt hurts after about 90 minutes. I jsut completed a 3-day ride in Colorado, so about 1,063 miles and my butt was screaming painfully by the time I got home. Not sure how it would have faired with the stock seat. From the Yahoo VN750 group, there are tons of VN750 riders who love the seat ... I'm just thinking I may not be one of them.

Two main difference with the seats are: 1) Corbin sits you lower, Mustang harder. Corbin is "supposed" to be a harder seat and Mustang softer, but mine feels like a brick. 2) Rear sissy portion of the Corbin is higher than the stock, while the Mustang matches the stock. This may not be an issue to you, butit was for me. I have installed the extended sissybar on my bike. The Mustang and Stock fit under this, but the corbin is too tall and would prohibit using the Extended sissy bar.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair
....2) Rear sissy portion of the Corbin is higher than the stock, while the Mustang matches the stock. This may not be an issue to you, butit was for me. I have installed the extended sissybar on my bike. The Mustang and Stock fit under this, but the corbin is too tall and would prohibit using the Extended sissy bar.
Both of my Corbins fit just fine with the Jardine Extended Sissybar. I haven't tried the Kawasaki Extended Sissybar.

CD in Frederick, OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement