First Highway trip - Wind buffeting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

First Highway trip - Wind buffeting

Hey all. Been riding for a little over a month. Took my first extended highway trip yesterday. 300 miles roundtrip. For most of the trip, I felt like I was being tossed around by the wind. I have a Kawasaki Windshield on it. I think it is a little bit small for me, but it keeps the wind off my chest and just barely hits the top of my helmet.

Is this usual for this size of bike? Might the smallish windshield be causing the air to hit me from the sides? I'm kind of a big guy, 6'1, 250 lbs, could that be adding to the issue? Or do I just need to get used to it?

It wasn't the most fun trip I've been on. Love the bike, but the highway driving was rough on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
I like the fuller coverage given by the Plexifairing 3. It may not be the best-looking windshield, but it's great for long-distance riding, and especially helpful when the weather is colder. (I had about 1.5" shaved off the top, but you're taller than I!)

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 07-01-2008 at 07:02 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I agree, I had a Plex III on mine and it was great, I went over 500 miles in a day and not a problem.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM

Those side winds on the eastern side can be a pain with the sand and what. If you do get a bigger faring, the side gusts can catch you more than your smaller one. If our bikes weighed in at 700 lbs, it would be more stable, but there's the trade off, sporty nimbleness vs. hwy stability in adverse conditions. Many commutes home I've fought a N-Wester on I-5 feeling the same as you...

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I had the large Plexi on my Nighthawk, and it rode great. The bike rode much more comfortably in the wind. Occasionally acted like a sail going over a windy overpass, but I really liked it overall. I plan to put one on my '89. I unfortunately have a couple of other higher priority purchases in front of it, like new tires.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have the Plexi II put on by the previous owner. Unfortunately he put a big scratch in it so I've been thinking about replacing it. I like the idea of fuller coverage offered by the Plexi III, but is anyone having problems with the glow of the turn signals? It looks like they're behind the fairing. My Plexi II ends just above the signals and at night they cause the entire edge of the screen to glow amber... kind of a fiber optic effect. It was a bit distracting at first, especialy if looking over the top instead of through it.

Rick Oz
York, PA

'03 Vulcan 750
purchased used 5/08 w/ 2650 mi
Fire and Steel Engine Guard
Vista Cruise Control
and all the stuff I've added since finding this forum... floorboards by Ccspinner, Unik Saddlebags, Airhawk Comfort Seating System, Xelement armored cordura jacket, Clear Alternative LED brake/tail lights, Kruzer Kaddy chrome drink holder, Helmet Guardian, tear drop mirrors, Throttle Rocker, National Cycle Street Shield EX
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM

You will get used to it.. I've also only been riding for a few weeks and had the same experience on the highway (feel like I'm being tossed around).. I'm also a pretty big guy (6'5'', 240) and don't have a windshield. I was discouraged after my first few rides on the highway, I really didn't like it. I now love riding on the highway and barely notice the wind. It's weird, but I'm sure you'll experience the same thing..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM

I have the little Vulcan wind screen in mine. It does only really divert the wind a bit. I like it because of that, (keeps me cooler) but it's not a huge help on the highway. I have gotten pretty used to it and it and don't really think about it anymore. It sounds like it's worse for you though. You're 3 inches taller than me, so maybe it's directing the wind right at your face. You might experiment with the angle, maybe try and tilt it into a more upright position.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I had mine behind the tursignals, worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoz View Post
I have the Plexi II put on by the previous owner. Unfortunately he put a big scratch in it so I've been thinking about replacing it. I like the idea of fuller coverage offered by the Plexi III, but is anyone having problems with the glow of the turn signals? It looks like they're behind the fairing. My Plexi II ends just above the signals and at night they cause the entire edge of the screen to glow amber... kind of a fiber optic effect. It was a bit distracting at first, especialy if looking over the top instead of through it.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Took my bike out last night...it was windier than usual which made the ride almost unenjoyable... that mixed with rush hour traffic...I have decided that the back roads are so much better..unfortunately back roads don't go every where I need to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement