Check your nuts ( Tail light ) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check your nuts ( Tail light )

I check out my bike daily to make sure I have no problems while riding. One thing I have overlooked was the tail light/license plate bracket. Yesterday while going over an old bridge I heard a strange noise. I pulled off the road about 1/4 mile away. The 3 nuts that hold the tail light housing to the fender had vibrated loose and were missing. The housing and license plate got wedged between the fender and tire. The plate put a few slices in my tire. The tail light housing and plate survived ( held on by the wiring ) but I need to replace the tire today. Just posting this to help members avoid this possible problem.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Think you're the first person to ever report that here. I would figure because of all the crap from the road thown onto those nuts, they be all rusted and encrusted and not likely to loosen up.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 PM

Garage
I know the nuts holding the license plate tend to drop off, or the plate itself cracks, but never heard of losing the light assembly....but now I will have to go check it to be sure....lol
I had the rear tire off a few weeks ago and actually inspected the wiring under the fender, but paid no attention to the hardware.
Thanks for the reminder.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:31 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I got rid of the light assembly/licence plate bracket altogether because I did not like the mud flap look and the fact the plate kept breaking at the upper bolt slots.
I bolted an aluminum strap an inch or inch and a half wide by 8 inches long (width of an Alberta plate) to the fender, with bolts through the same holes your nuts fell off. Yeah I just said that! lol

I used flat washers, lock washers and double nuts to lock it on because I did not have any locknuts at hand. Blue Locktite thread locker could be used as well.
Then bolted a handmade aluminum backing plate to the strap so the bottom edge was just above the bottom of the fender. Due to the larger size of an Alberta licence plate (6 X 8 inches ), from the 49 US states standard of 5X7 inches, I had to apply a little muscle of Hoss to bend or twist the top of the strap back until the plate is almost vertical and does not rub against the bottom of the taillight lens.

I now have a pair of dual LED Custom Dynamics Tag Boltz with BRIGHT RED LED BRAKE LIGHTS ( to go along with kc2dgq's signal boards mentioned in his sigline in post 3 above), also with white led illumination for the licence plate.

FYI the fine for no licence plate illumination in AB is $58!!

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-18-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement