Need help identifying - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Need help identifying

I didnt know what category this goes into so here goes. I have this 87, and am on the slow track of fixing the deficiencies that I find. One of the issues Ive encounted so far are there are three(3) rubber hoses that come from one place and then do not connect to anything, one end just hangs free. I cant imagine this is how the bike was built, so somebody please help me identifying what these are and where their home is. One hose is attached to a black box on the R side of bike that has a filler cap and the works Full and Low on it. Another hose comes from the front of the bike from what appears to be a device just behind the radiator. The last hose come out from under the tank and I cant get to it because the "mechanic" I had work this bike over stripped the everloving **** out of the rear hex bolt and now I cant get the tank off. Links below are to show the above items, any assistance would be most welcome.

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Ra...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Ra...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Ra...tml?sort=3&o=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Crowley

So, let's tackle this one by one...

The black box on right side of bike with full and low - this is your coolant overflow reservoir. It is designed to hold an amount of fluid (between those marks) and is connected to the thermostat/radiator cap. When the bike heats up, excess coolant gets pushed into that bottle. When the bike cools down, it sucks fluid from the bottle to fill the coolant system.

There are two hoses that can come off there. One is on the back side of the bottle, at the bottom, on the left hand side. It should go up to the right side of the gas tank by the neck of the bike, where you fill the coolant. The other hose? On my bike, the end sits under my leg and burns me when I have too much coolant in my system and it boils out.

The tubes from your gas tank by the seat are part of the [I]gasoline vapor control system[/]. The right side tube does something fancy with your California emissions system (unless it's a California tank on a non-California bike, in which case, Block it off.)

The left hose controls gas tank pressure, and just needs to vent to atmosphere. Nothing fancy.

I'd like to see a picture of the device in front of the radiator. If it's a black plastic box, that looks like it goes into the frame, it's part of your air intake system. Someone else can help you better here.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:11 PM

Garage
" I'd like to see a picture of the device in front of the radiator. If it's a black plastic box, that looks like it goes into the frame, it's part of your air intake system. Someone else can help you better here. "

The tube coming from the "AIR BOX" is a drain tube in case moisture collects in there. it runs down the side of the radiator and hangs under the bike.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
" I'd like to see a picture of the device in front of the radiator. If it's a black plastic box, that looks like it goes into the frame, it's part of your air intake system. Someone else can help you better here. "

The tube coming from the "AIR BOX" is a drain tube in case moisture collects in there. it runs down the side of the radiator and hangs under the bike.
Thanks. I don't remember anything about the stock air system.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies gents. For my clarification, hose in front is supposed to hang down under bike as part of the airbox. The hose under the tank. That is exposed and unconnected is on the R side and the bike is CA, so it is fine? And the hose on top of coolant reservoir is supposed to hang off bike correct?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:06 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Ok the first hose needs to go to the thermostat housing, second hose needs to plug into the nipple on the tank right above it, and third picture the hose goes into the right ear... if you don't have the stock air filters, then you need to make the hose longer and plug it into the carb
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Ok the first hose needs to go to the thermostat housing, second hose needs to plug into the nipple on the tank right above it, and third picture the hose goes into the right ear... if you don't have the stock air filters, then you need to make the hose longer and plug it into the carb
Well that's confusing. I dont think I see his carb vent hose in there. Just overflow, air system, and tank lines.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Crowley

There is a large diameter tube coming out under your tank on the right side. Find out where that goes. Hope it isn't the coolant hose, and your dry in there.

On second thought, it might be that stupid California emissions box under/in front of the battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement