Looking for advice - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Looking for advice

I am looking for advice on buying another bike, (this one is for the wife). We want a bike that is good around town, but will do excellent on the longer rides. She plans on riding mostly long rides. She likes the looks of the older Honda Goldwings. She is kind of heavy set, and is 5'6" to 5'8" tall. We want something that will be cheap on the pocket book for both initial costs and long term.

She also likes the looks of the VN1500. any input on this bike as well would be great.

(I can pick up a 79 Goldwing that needs some work due to it sitting for several years for under a grand, so I am kind of leaning towards that bike, but don't want to get her somthing she won't like in the long run.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:42 AM

Slim please keep in mind about how heavy a gold wing is i agree with her tho i like a gold wing too but they are very heavy if she can hold it up and handle it that would make her a great bike just my advice
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Do you have a goldwing GCGoff??? The reason i am asking is, I know that the Goldwing is a heavy bike...but how hard is it to hold up at a stop? and does it want to lay down easy? I know she won't be able to pick it up by herself if she lays it down, but i will be with her every time she rides, so if she were to lay it over i should be able to get it back up.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I heard those Kawasaki Vulcan 750's are pretty nice...........................

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 AM

At 5'7", 245 lbs I would not consider a wing (and I have two projects in the shop now). I'm a strong fella, did lots of weight lifting while in the USMC, those beasts can be a handful with shorter legs. What about backing up and just moving the beast about while not riding? I would think something lower and leaner would be better in the long run. Sounds like you have some wrenching skills, how about a KZ1100 LTD?

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack650 View Post
At 5'7", 245 lbs I would not consider a wing (and I have two projects in the shop now). I'm a strong fella, did lots of weight lifting while in the USMC, those beasts can be a handful with shorter legs. What about backing up and just moving the beast about while not riding? I would think something lower and leaner would be better in the long run. Sounds like you have some wrenching skills, how about a KZ1100 LTD?

DT
We like the looks of the KZ1100 LTD...very nice

Some wrenching skills is an under statment..not to toot my own horn, but I have have been turning wrenches for most of my life. Started when I was 2 years old.

If it weren't for the fact that i can turn wrenches we would be 100% without transportation 95% of the time. LOL
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I heard those Kawasaki Vulcan 750's are pretty nice...........................

KM
I Like the VN750, but my wife wants somthing a little more 2 person friendly becasue she will be caring our daughter around on her bike..until I can talk my daughter into getting a smaller bike...the 750 is too much bike for my 16 year old daughter...she has never ridden a motorcycle of any type before, what would a good learner bike be?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 AM

Hi SVR

I don't know what style of bike your wife is really after, I would agree that the Wing is one heavy mother and not good for parking etc.

My other bike is a 1991 Honda VFR tourer. Great bike, goes well, very comfortable on long trips, 55 mpg plus on a run. V4 bullet proof motor, the 1990 to about 1998 750's had gear driven cams so no cam chain. When you get the motor singing, exhaust growling the gears can be heard as well, real music. No cam chain to stretch, break, rattle, tensioners to wear out, real bonus.

These are bullet proof motors, change oil, water, put in the fuel and off you go.

I'm 6ft and 220lb's and have no problems with VFR comfort wise.

At the Sepang F1 circuit I had my VFR upto 220kph on the main straight, so they go very well. Very comfortable with 2 up and it has a single sided swing arm, easy chain adjustment.

Should be quite cheap to pick up and all spares are still available, easy DIY maintenance and look very nice. Mr Honda really got this one right.

If you want a test drive, come over to KL and we'll take the bikes out for a spin, VN and VFR !!!

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur

Last edited by davet; 06-25-2008 at 02:16 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
the 750 is too much bike for my 16 year old daughter...she has never ridden a motorcycle of any type before, what would a good learner bike be?
Yamaha TW200 if she is tall
Honda Rebel if she is short
Kawasaki Ninja 250 fits almost all
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
...until I can talk my daughter into getting a smaller bike...the 750 is too much bike for my 16 year old daughter...she has never ridden a motorcycle of any type before, what would a good learner bike be?
Hi SVR

Another Honda VFR biased reply !!!

Have a look at the Honda VFR400, again V4 motor, absolute beauty, goes well, rides well and a delight to ride.

Good fun bike, again bullet proof motor.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement