300 series tire on a vn750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
300 series tire on a vn750

i know that this is a very wide tire...but i like this look, is there any way to get a wider swing arm that handles the drive shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
300 never, There is some peopl who have put on a 170.
But a 300, that is wider than the bike is, Shaft drive will not be able to strech that far and your shocks would not fit.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
thats what i thought, just making sure......next question...where would i find technical size info on our triple trees and fork tubes?

Here is my plan, and has been my plan for many many years...I have always loved the looks of a a chopper. But in a Harley dominated area, the price of parts is outrageous, and the whole aspect of a chopper has been lost. Choppers were originally made in peoples back yard from what ever they had lying around. The bike of choice was a military WWII Harley from the war. My ideals are to make a more modern Chopper out of parts i can find on ebay.

I also am finding the 750 too small for me in some ways and perfect in others. My biggest problem is the length from the drivers backrest to the front pegs and the pull back of the handle bars (the heighth is perfect, just to far forward for me...i find on longer trips my arms start hurting because i am stretching so far, and my knees are hurting from being bent at a weird angle). The handle bar issue is easy for me to correct...new bars. The foot peg issue is a little harder...either I move the pegs and forward controls further forward, or I stretch the frame. Now back to my Chopper stretching the frame is the way to go. But if I stretch the frame, the forks are going to look silly. So then i will need longer tubes. I want to use stock tubes off of another make and model of bike. Just not sure which one yet....and since I don't have a micrometer handy getting these specs is difficult. also would it be easier to just replace the whole triple tree along with the fork tubes, which then means a new front wheel/tire as well, or do i just replace the tubes?
Right now i am just in the thought gathering state and trying to figure out what might work, and figuring out my winter bike budget.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 AM

Check out this thread

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7320

I posted links to some neck and fork sizes

If you really wanted too, and I mean REALLY wanted to, you can put any tire you want on the back.

But.....

You would have to cut off the rear of the frame, replace the swing arm, convert to chaindrive ( which means new rims) add a jackshaft make a new rear section, to mount shocks etc. I've been studying the frame on my 85 to see what I can do with it, but its not a chop friendly frame. I can drop the seat rails a bit and bob the rear section. and I've figured out how to rake the front end, but anything really else is going to be a pain. If you were to convert to a full hardtail, the tire would be asier to fit, but you would still need a chain drive.

Or you could modify the seat to sit you back an inch or so, make brackets to mount your pegs a couple inches forward ( you'd have to modify the shift lever) , and change out the bars

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
a rebuilt 96 top end, rebuilt 85 bottom end
degoated, Eared
stripped, lowered, raked, bobbed,
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
heads and cylinders shaved for compression
looking for smoothbore sidedraft carbs
possibly fat bob tanks
modified vn800 or sportster drag pipes or I'll just make some

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage

Last edited by Duck; 06-21-2008 at 09:02 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 AM

I have replaced my stock rear tire with a 170/80/15 Could really have went another size Bigger,but only One more size WIDER (70).Break rod will have to be modified.Helped out cruisin speeds also.Dont run as hard..Just to let you know on tire size. Amsoil man

Marbled
Pick ups reset
Splines lubed
Kenda Kruz tires 110Frt. / 170 rear
Custom saddle seat
Backrest
1500 classic rear fender
Cobra slants /Custom Made turndowns
Diamond Plate Buffalo Leather Bags
Throttle lock
Front bearings repacked
Front shock oil replaced
Led bulbs
Amp meter
Running Boards
Dial A Jet Carb settings
Gremlin Bell (front mount)
Fully Lubed with Amsoil Lubricants
Trailer hitch / Hidden

Your Local AMSOIL Connection! Cell#989-329-1225
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
Check out this thread

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7320

I posted links to some neck and fork sizes

If you really wanted too, and I mean REALLY wanted to, you can put any tire you want on the back.

But.....

You would have to cut off the rear of the frame, replace the swing arm, convert to chaindrive ( which means new rims) add a jackshaft make a new rear section, to mount shocks etc. I've been studying the frame on my 85 to see what I can do with it, but its not a chop friendly frame. I can drop the seat rails a bit and bob the rear section. and I've figured out how to rake the front end, but anything really else is going to be a pain. If you were to convert to a full hardtail, the tire would be asier to fit, but you would still need a chain drive.

Or you could modify the seat to sit you back an inch or so, make brackets to mount your pegs a couple inches forward ( you'd have to modify the shift lever) , and change out the bars
I have been thinking about changing to a chain drive...just not sure how to convert the transmission....Already modding the seat, but it still is going to be about 3 inches too short. I am looking into making brackets for my foot pegs and looking for longer forward controlls from another model of bike that might work.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Man View Post
I have replaced my stock rear tire with a 170/80/15 Could really have went another size Bigger,but only One more size WIDER (70).Break rod will have to be modified.Helped out cruisin speeds also.Dont run as hard..Just to let you know on tire size. Amsoil man
Am I wrong??? I thought a 170/80 ment that the tire was 170mm wide and 70% of that high... Wouldn't 180/80 be 1 size wider..??
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I have been thinking about changing to a chain drive...just not sure how to convert the transmission....Already modding the seat, but it still is going to be about 3 inches too short. I am looking into making brackets for my foot pegs and looking for longer forward controlls from another model of bike that might work.
The chain drive would take a fair bit of machine work. The output shaft turns the right way, but the shaft isnt long enough to support a sprocket.A plate would have to be cut and milled to retain the output shaft bearing, oil passages drilled for lubrication of the outboard support bearing another plate to support the outer bearing. a splined shaft to carry the sprocket. and some way to retain the whole thing

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
a rebuilt 96 top end, rebuilt 85 bottom end
degoated, Eared
stripped, lowered, raked, bobbed,
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
heads and cylinders shaved for compression
looking for smoothbore sidedraft carbs
possibly fat bob tanks
modified vn800 or sportster drag pipes or I'll just make some

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
i jsut got thinking how about a 90 degree gear box that inputs from the tail shaft of the transmission and then outputs to the small front sprocket?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Am I wrong??? I thought a 170/80 ment that the tire was 170mm wide and 70% of that high... Wouldn't 180/80 be 1 size wider..??
Have a good one...Old Dog...
No, you're not wrong, 180 is next.

My bike has a 170 on the back and it takes up every bit of space in my swing arm. I don't know how the next size up would fit without rubbing; mine is awfully close to the sides. The only way I can get my wheel out it too pull the drive unit first, or with it. All my stuff back there is stock though, other than the tire (obviously).

But anyway, the first number, 170/180 is the width size. And 180 is wider than 170 which is wider than 160, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement