possible vapor lock?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
2001 VN750 Pensacola, FL

possible vapor lock??

Hey all,
I was on my way to work tonight when my bike stalled on me . The first thing I looked at was my fuel -- half a tank. Before it completely stalled, it felt like it was running out of fuel. I was hoping to make it through the light and to the gas station before it died, but no such luck. I coasted to the side of the road, then opened the fuel cap. I didn't hear any excessive pressure escape when I opened the cap. After a couple minutes, the bike fired right off. Since I was within about a mile or so of work, I closed the lid, but didn't lock it. The bike did just fine the rest of the way. I even switched the petcock valve to res. and it still worked fine.(before now, the res. setting wouldn't allow fuel flow).

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by Tdevil76; 06-20-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
From my post 2 days ago under "Possible Electrical Problems?"

"There also is a well known condition that I call the Phantom Gas Syndrome..in with the bike seems to stall (like it is running out of gas) Oddly, after the bike sits for a few minutes it starts right up and no more problems. The current theory on this is that the gas cap is not venting properly for some reason and opening the cap up will solve the issue. Many keep a spare key in the cap at all times to open it while riding."

So you win for being possibly the 2nd one to experiance this in the last few days.

It always seems to happen with "about half a tank of gas" or less, many think the bike needs to be turned to reserve, (which does not help) or that in turning to reserve they turned the valve the wrong way....
But all report that the bike starts up after a few minutes and runs fine thereafter.

Welcome to the club.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

That explains what happened to me last week. Was leaving work and retreat sounded. My bike died with the out of gas symptoms. After switching to reserve and the anthem was over the bike started and ran fine. Fill up was only 2 gallons and I was begining to think the vulcan was going to be my bad luck bike as it has died on me more times than any other bike in the last 35 years.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckmtn View Post
That explains what happened to me last week. Was leaving work and retreat sounded. My bike died with the out of gas symptoms. After switching to reserve and the anthem was over the bike started and ran fine. Fill up was only 2 gallons and I was begining to think the vulcan was going to be my bad luck bike as it has died on me more times than any other bike in the last 35 years.
Does your bike die on you most times if you leave around that time?
just wondering, because every time i leave and get caught by retreat mine dies. If i can miss it then no problems. although i think i have the issue fixed...I sat in traffic for about 45 minutes with the bike idling the whole time.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM

First time she did this to me. Normally I get about 2 blocks before retreat starts. This was the first unexplained dieing since the dealer replaced the wiring harness under warranty.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
ahh ok, just wondered because i was having the same kind of issues, and i fixed it but not sure how i managed that...lol
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:33 PM

My bike did this today about 3 minutes after I left work, just like it was running out of gas. I pulled over, opened and closed the tank, no start. Opened the tank for a solid minute or two, closed it and it started right up and rode the few miles home just fine. I was too tired from work to crawl around the bike looking so I tried the first thing I thought of.

Prior to leaving my bike had been sitting in the hot direct sunlight for a few hours, and I have much less than half a tank of fuel; mine is just above the "E".

First time it's happened to me, so I don't know....opening the tank, waiting a bit, closing the tank and riding away works for me for now.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bj31702
Well its good to know im not the only one that experiences PGS. Deal with it the same way pretty much. When i feel that hesitation and sluggishness I switch it to prime and coast with the clutch in. That has worked only a couple times. A few times I was able to pull over and let the bike idle in neutral untill it smoothed out, but most of the time I end up just trying to make it to a safe spot to pull off the road and it dies.

I have noticed that this happens more frequently in the mid day hours, and only occasionally in the mid morning and late evening.

Would replacing the fuel, vaccume, and breather lines help?? maybe

'09 Nomad e sold
'85 VN700 A1 (needs work)
'11 Voyager
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 PM

Temporary fix!!!!!!!!

I had the same EXACT problem when I bought my bike over a year ago. I tried a variety of different "fixes," to try to stop or at lease pinpoint the problem but to no avail. About 6 months ago I was forced to take my bike to work every day due to high gas prices. Due to riding the bike every single day, I was able to temporarily fix the problem. I noticed that anytime my bike was under a half a tank I was subject to the problem you just described. Now (as much as a pain in the ass it is) I just fill up more often. Now you diehards may say this is a half ass fix (believe me I am open to suggestions) but anything I can do to keep from stalling out on busy So Cal freeways will keep me happy.....and alive. So good luck because I know how dreadful of a feeling it is to not be able to rely 100% on your bike.
-Kevin
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Garage
Same thing happened last week to me. I was only at about 85 miles from my last fill up and the fuel gauge was showing a hair below half. I did get it started after flipping to reserve. Then about a mile down the road I switched it back and it ran fine till about 115 miles. Then I went for my average fill up.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement