Traction and Cornering/Turning Question(s) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Traction and Cornering/Turning Question(s)

Well, not sure I have seen this directly addressed here so gonna give it a go.

As I have said several times I am new to motorcycle riding. About 3 months under my belt. That said, I feel pretty dog on confident on my bike riding the turns and corners we have here when dry outside-there are actually some pretty good roads to ride if you know where to look.

But, I am leary of any turn-not matter how 'dull' or slight it may be when it is wet or I have just passed through water. I know the only REAL answer to these questions will be experience and all the other factors involved-tires, oil on the road, acceleration, braking, etc.-but I would love to get some ideas and opinions. I don't want to have to fall to learn the limits of my bike.

So-Just how good is the grip on this bike when cornering on wet stuff? I know it's good when dry and I have leaned mine over and almost scraped the footpeg (had a buddy following me just to see how close I was). But honestly, I am plumb scared when it comes to sharp turns or even turning at red lights when it is wet outside. Overly cautious might be a better description. Maybe it is an irrational fear, but I am scared I am going to 'eat it'.

So do you people have any input and/or videos that would help me and other riders that are specific for the 750?

Thanks in advance.

2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI

Previous bike: 2002 Vulcan 750

Last edited by pmassey31545; 06-25-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

all traction (wet or dry) depends greatly on the tires on the bike. not just the brand, but the condition and age.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
all traction (wet or dry) depends greatly on the tires on the bike. not just the brand, but the condition and age.
Agreed. Mine are pretty new and in good shape. But I was trying to get a 'general' idea of what to expect in turns when wet versus dry. Again, I know for a real answer it will come down to actually testing and seeing, but I am wary of pushing it too far as I stated in my OP. And who wants to ride around testing puddles and wet roads???

Ex: I was coming in to work the other day. It rained the previous evening and the roads were dry by morning. But there was a puddle in the road on a turn at my place of employment. I usually take this 90 turn at 25mph or so-no big deal. But as I approached and saw the puddle, I began to freak out cause I am thinking "I am gonna hit this mug and wipe out in the work entrance".

Maybe I just need to stick to only dry pavement....HA!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
X2 but I would also add tread design. Some tires are much better on the wet than others. My advice to you is get out and ride and get as much experience as you can in all conditions. Slow down, be cautious, and live to ride another day. Based on your original post I believe you are pushing the bike too hard for only 3 months experience. JMO

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
X2 but I would also add tread design. Some tires are much better on the wet than others. My advice to you is get out and ride and get as much experience as you can in all conditions. Slow down, be cautious, and live to ride another day. Based on your original post I believe you are pushing the bike too hard for only 3 months experience. JMO
The bold part...I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel safe doing so-which is why I slow when wet. Believe me when I say-I am good at what I do. I have several buddies that ride with me and tell me that I progressed very fast in cornering and just overall riding. Not bragging...just saying.

I know 4 wheelers are a different animal, but they have similar characteristics when riding. Been doing those for years. Also, in those 3 months I have put over 3500 miles on this bike. Usually in 30-40 mile increments except for my commute to work-25 miles. My point is, I am on the bike a lot even though it may seem like 3 months isn't that long of a time. I have had 3 long rides-100 miles or so. Other than that it's all back roads and the curviest I can find.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I ride in the rain all the time and have yet to slip out. That said I don't dog it around corners when it's wet. If you want to see how easily a tire skids when its wet, hit the back brake next time you're out. Doesn't take much to slide that rear tire when wet. I watch out for large turn arrow paint and cross walk paint especially. It's thick and wide and like flippin ice sometimes.

Maybe hit a big parking lot on a wet day and do some turning. Oh and my tires are dual sport on a 550 lb sportster so by all accounts they should seriously suck on wet roads. But I love ridin to work so.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Have you ever fishtailed or spun a 180 in a car? Ever gunned a car engine on a wet road and felt the rear end slip out on you? Remember how easily it seemed to happen? Motorcycles can do the same thing. Always slow down on wet roads. Be cautious and go as slow as you feel like you need to.

We could get all scientific and talk about how the various forces act on a motorcycle in a turn and the contact patch of the tire meeting the pavement providing a certain amount of friction that will keep the bike from slipping up until a certain point, but when you are riding I highly doubt you are going to be able to do all of the calculations required to determine your maximum safe speed for a given turn, angle and slipperiness of the road before you enter the turn. The only way to know is to ride and get experience and even then it just takes a split second for you to hit a bump in a turn and goose the throttle a little too much and go down on a wet road. So be cautious and go slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Ride in snow.then wet roads will be cake.don't tense up either.stay loosey goosey. Watch out for the middle of the road in the rain,especially at intersections as oil builds up there.and don't let yourself feel overconfident, EVER! Always be alert as no matter how good ya are,something can bite ya.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:45 AM
2014 KLR 650!

But don't be paralyzed with fear to ride in the rain either.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Have you ever fishtailed or spun a 180 in a car? Ever gunned a car engine on a wet road and felt the rear end slip out on you? Remember how easily it seemed to happen? Motorcycles can do the same thing. Always slow down on wet roads. Be cautious and go as slow as you feel like you need to.

We could get all scientific and talk about how the various forces act on a motorcycle in a turn and the contact patch of the tire meeting the pavement providing a certain amount of friction that will keep the bike from slipping up until a certain point, but when you are riding I highly doubt you are going to be able to do all of the calculations required to determine your maximum safe speed for a given turn, angle and slipperiness of the road before you enter the turn. The only way to know is to ride and get experience and even then it just takes a split second for you to hit a bump in a turn and goose the throttle a little too much and go down on a wet road. So be cautious and go slow.
I have slid on purpose on this bike. I gun it in my driveway (dirt-and about 2/10 of a mile long) on purpose just to make it fishtail....having fun..spinning tires. I'm a daredevil my friends tell me. It's just those turns still kinda scare me off in the rain. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Ride in snow.then wet roads will be cake.don't tense up either.stay loosey goosey. Watch out for the middle of the road in the rain,especially at intersections as oil builds up there.and don't let yourself feel overconfident, EVER! Always be alert as no matter how good ya are,something can bite ya.
Hahahaha. No snow in South Georgia....EVER!!!! OK. Once every 15 years we might get an inch or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
But don't be paralyzed with fear to ride in the rain either.
I've done it. Just way slower around turns and corners. That's what rain suits are for...and windshields.

Guess I'll just have to strap on a bunch of clothes and go shred it up when it rains to find out...HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement