A follow-up to a question I had earlier... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to OrlandoVulcan
A follow-up to a question I had earlier...

Got pretty much all the bugs worked out of my '02 VN750. I had asked a previous question regarding how the bike feels in 5th gear, at higher speeds. It seemed to hesitate when I was cruising around 60-65 mph.

I took it back into the shop, and they took it for a ride. They told me something that explained it, but I'm paraphrasing here. Want to see if anyone else has heard such a thing. They said that because the bike is carburated and not fuel injected, there are certain RPMs where, basically, the jets have to kick in where something else isn't, and there can be a slight lag while the bike is deciding which way it wants to go. (I wish I could remember exactly what he said) But, apparently, I should adjust speed to slightly above or below where that's happening, and that's supposed to "fix" the issue.

Does any of this make sense? Does anyone else experience this?

Mike's Moving
Orlando, Florida

2002 VN750

Need to know the part number to a confirmed 18mm Deep Well socket bit to change your VN750's spark plugs?

Craftsman Part Number 50728
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:03 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Were any mods done to bike?

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Were any mods done to bike?
No. Bike is pretty stock. No ear shaves, or any other mod that I'm aware of. I just had the carbs cleaned, new float bowl and needles.

Mike's Moving
Orlando, Florida

2002 VN750

Need to know the part number to a confirmed 18mm Deep Well socket bit to change your VN750's spark plugs?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Does it do it when you are just cruising at a steady speed or is it when you try to quickly accelerate at that speed? And have you noticed if a gust of wind can make it happen at that speed?

The reason I ask is if the carb vent hose isn't stuck in the slotted hole in the back of one of the ears (air filter box) it can behave like that with a gust of wind or accelerating. The best way to make sure that isnt a problem is to cut the end of the carb vent hose at a 45 degree angle and stick it in that hole. Then it shouldn't cause any issues.

As far as what the shop told you...maybe. But I would think that would definitely only happen on really quick acceleration and only if there is something else causing a brief lack of fuel. I never had any trouble with my vn accelerating quickly or hesitating except when the carb vent hose fell out of the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoVulcan View Post
Got pretty much all the bugs worked out of my '02 VN750. I had asked a previous question regarding how the bike feels in 5th gear, at higher speeds. It seemed to hesitate when I was cruising around 60-65 mph.

I took it back into the shop, and they took it for a ride. They told me something that explained it, but I'm paraphrasing here. Want to see if anyone else has heard such a thing. They said that because the bike is carburated and not fuel injected, there are certain RPMs where, basically, the jets have to kick in where something else isn't, and there can be a slight lag while the bike is deciding which way it wants to go. (I wish I could remember exactly what he said) But, apparently, I should adjust speed to slightly above or below where that's happening, and that's supposed to "fix" the issue.

Does any of this make sense? Does anyone else experience this?
NO, not right. At 60 you are doing around 4000 rpms. After 2800 rpms the carb is already running on both the pilot and main jets. The problem is either a fuel delivery issue, an ignition issue, or as simple as a carb vent issue.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I'm with Deviate. You aren't going from pilot to main jet or anything.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Does it do it when you are just cruising at a steady speed or is it when you try to quickly accelerate at that speed? And have you noticed if a gust of wind can make it happen at that speed?

The reason I ask is if the carb vent hose isn't stuck in the slotted hole in the back of one of the ears (air filter box) it can behave like that with a gust of wind or accelerating. The best way to make sure that isnt a problem is to cut the end of the carb vent hose at a 45 degree angle and stick it in that hole. Then it shouldn't cause any issues.

As far as what the shop told you...maybe. But I would think that would definitely only happen on really quick acceleration and only if there is something else causing a brief lack of fuel. I never had any trouble with my vn accelerating quickly or hesitating except when the carb vent hose fell out of the hole.
It seems to accelerate (and decelerate) just fine. It's when I'm "cruising" that I sometimes seem to get it. When I first noticed it happening, I actually assumed that it WAS wind causing it, and I still think I get a little of that. But, when I'm cruising, trying to hold the throttle at a constant speed in that range, that seems to be when it happens.

Mike's Moving
Orlando, Florida

2002 VN750

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
NO, not right. At 60 you are doing around 4000 rpms. After 2800 rpms the carb is already running on both the pilot and main jets. The problem is either a fuel delivery issue, an ignition issue, or as simple as a carb vent issue.
Now, when I had the carbs cleaned, this reminded me, I had the...crap..now I'm trying to think of the damn word....the little thing on the left side of the bike that turns the fuel on and off replaced.

Even with dirty carbs, I don't recall the bike doing this before when I was cruising. I figured that since this was the first time I rode with the carbs cleaned, that his explanation was reasonable.

I'll check the vents, and I'll see if I can look at the fuel lines, but why would ignition cause this? Do you mean the plugs?

Mike's Moving
Orlando, Florida

2002 VN750

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 PM

I've seen 4 cylinder cars do this exact thing when the plugs and wires need replacing. Accelerate and everything just fine, but would sort of lose power, or hesitate at cruising speed. A "mechanic" told me that the insulation on the wire loses resistance after awhile, but couldn't explain why it would only affect performance at specific speeds.

1991 VN750, purchased 5/5/15, 9092 miles
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Jets work according to throttle, not rpm.

At 2800rpm in fifth, I'm definitely under 25% throttle. That said, main won't kick in til somewhere after 35, and needle not til 50% throttle. You can have 2800rpm at full throttle too, and at all positions between, while accelerating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement