geez! all I wanted to do was ride some... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

geez! all I wanted to do was ride some...

The carb cleaner spray and sea foam seemed to be helping the sputtering, but bike still won't start without charger on... bought a vom to check the r/r per the "fault finding flow chart"... but I didn't read the part about setting the vom at the 100 ohm range, the one i got only goes down to 200 ohms, so I really don't know what Iím reading on the scale...I started the bike with the r/r unplugged (on the charger) the bike seemed to be running smoother...after a short break I was gonna start it again but discovered gas (lots of it) dripping out of the back carb...shut off the petcock but it started leaking, so pulled the tank and set it so no gas was running out...so with 2 strikes I decided to go for 3...moved on the next known problem, speedo cable broken off inside speedometer receiver, following corbins guide, pulled the wheel off found the speedo receiver was fried crisp and no way was it coming apart, oh and the wheel bearings were powder dry... couldn't find the right "special tools" to pull the wheel bearings to re-pack them... STRIKE THREE!
Went to the hammock with a tall glass of ice tea... tomorrow has to be a better day.
If you want to console me or give advice, please, please do.
3z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 AM

3z, see your pms in re: both the speedo housing and the bearing removal. You have my fullest sympathies - I'd have been drinking more than tea by then, probably.

C
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczzz View Post
If you want to console me or give advice, please, please do.
3z
Speaking from experience, once you get all the crapped worked out that somebody else did, or didn't do, you're really gonna like the bike. And there's a strange feeling of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself, that makes riding it feel better, and makes the bike feel more like your own.

I've got this weird attachment to my bike now, and a belief that I'll never be able to sell it, not because of the money spent on it, but the time I've put in it. Learning about it, and bringing it back from the "pits of hell".

Hang in there, it'll get better.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, sell it, no way...your insights helped... I already see that under the crap it is much more bike than my previous Yam Virago, and Honda Shadow. I took the wheel to a farm equipment machine shop in town that will pull repack and reinstall the bearings for $30. I ordered the expendibles to rebuild the petcock around $20.00 worth and corbins has a speedo reciever to sell me, and talked to the tech rep for the vom he taught me how to read it enough to get by. I shot the leaky carb full of gumout to soak... Things are looking up. As the motto of the Sports Car Club of America says, I will "Press on Regardless" thanks... 3z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement