Frame cleaning and Swingarm questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Frame cleaning and Swingarm questions

So I'm down to the bare frame and swingarm, but for the life of me I can't get the swingarm out. I screwed 5mm bolts into the plug or bushing i guess its called and pulled. It's a no go. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Also, I'm gonna have the frame and swingarm soda blasted to get the paint and rust off of it. Does anyone know for one if I can leave the bearing races in the neck if I tape them off real well? Also, once the swingarm is out, will I need to pull the bearings out too or can I just tape those off?

I'm hoping that some of you out there have had experience doing this before so I don't screw something up. Badly!

I'll post some of the pictures I've been taking as I've been going along either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance
Chiron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When I removed the swingarm, my first attempt to pull the pivot shaft out using the 5mm bolt didn't work either, so I tried to gain a little mechanical advantage by putting a hammer against the frame just above the 5mm bolt, and grabbed the bolt with a pair of pliers so that the head of the pliers was resting flat against the hammer. Then I pushed the pliers towards the frame using the hammer for leverage, and the pivot shaft came right out.

I sanded the swingarm down to bare metal by hand and then repainted, so I don't know about leaving the races in. I simply taped them up before I started sanding.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics when you are done.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

IMO, if you just tape off the races, be sure to do a REAL GOOD job cleaning everything out before putting anything back together.

Haven't had the swingarm off, so I can't offer much advice there.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM

Hi Chiron

Sounds like fun, in a perverse way, but its worth it when it is all done.

I would take the opportunity to replace any bearings that you find, sod's law is a wonderful thing. (Heard of O'Tooles law, Murphy was an optomist !!!). Only a few $'s to replace, no worries.

I would investigate powder coating the frame, swing arm, any other bits. Wonderful finish, tough and looks really good. Easy to keep clean. When I take the VN apart thats is what she will get and a respray, but the VFR750 comes first in line for the tidy up.

Most all all enjoy the experiance and post some pictures of the work.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

When I first started working on my bike, I was just going to fix the stator (again) and maybe do some cleanup. But I started looking at stuff and didn't feel very confident riding it. So, I figured this is a good time as any. Here are some progress shots everyone.

crap, I can't get images embedded inside the message, which is weird. There are some in the gallery until I can get the pic thing straightened out.

BTW, the lever thing worked like a charm Chris. Don't know why I didn't think of it, but it was a thing of beauty.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Ok I got tired of screwing around and just threw another copy of the photos up on my server to a public location. Enjoy the progress so far guys!

Last edited by Chiron; 06-16-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: update
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I'll make sure to ask the place doing the blasting and coating. But it looks like I'm going to be taping off the races prior to blasting & coating. I plan on using mineral spirits to clean both the races and the bearings then re-packing with grease. We'll see how it turns out though. I'll post some new pictures in the next day or so.

Chiron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement