Possible electrical problems - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Possible electrical problems

Hello all,
I've found this site to always be helpful with the little things and mods i've done to me bike. I know have a slightly more serious issue. I'll try to keep it brief. After comming home from work (on the bike) I was out riding last evening and when I downshifted into 1st the bike started to sputter and loose power. (i turned the throttle and nothing) Felt like it ran out of gas. After a few attemps, it stalled. Got over to the side and waited a few seconds and it started up again. After about 5 more miutes of riding, it did the same thing again. Only it was slightly harder to start this time. I got her going, reached my destination, shut it down and prayed. I did what I had to do and about three hours later went back to start her up. Stared up right way, the drive home was about 40 minutes, at night, with no incident. Got home and put it on the trickle charger and waited (with her). About 30 minutes later she received a full charge. I thought maybe the fuel line or carbs were clogged or needed some seafoam. (hadn't added for some time) Added the Seafoam today after work and took her out for a ride. Went about 30 minutes without incient, brought it back and hooked it back up to the trickle charger just for giggles. THIS TIME IT TOOK 40 MINUTES TO CHARGE. This has never happened before the most was 3 - 5 mins, tops. I need some advice. I know by reading alot of info on this website that our electrical systems are a tad fickle to say the least.
FYI
I've relocated my R/R, put in a M/F battery about a year and a half ago. This is a '99, I bought it when I replaced the battery with just over 900 miles on is. It now has 5100. Ride alot to work and for recreation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm not good at diagnosing. I'm just a fixer (if I have the right info) at a beginner level. I've seen alot of posts suggesting an Ohm meter, I have one but not sure about all the settings and which to use. I will take the battery to get "load tested". I've read the troubles with the stator and the R/R. How do I check all these or do I need to take to a shop. ($$$$$$) Tryin' to save some. One other quick question...Is it bad for the R/R, stator, M/F battery or anything else to leave it hooked up to a trickle charger all the time when not in use. I just do this out of habbit. I ride all year 'round and just pull it into the garage and hook it up and leave it. Go out, unhook it, and go. I never though this was an issue but now I wonder. Just figured it will always be ready to go.

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the long post. Please help.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Try using the fault finding chart here http://tinyurl.com/3z34d7 it so easy that even a big dummy like myself was able to find my issue.

Good Luck

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Also, check the vent tube going into the right airfilter assembly. Make sure it isn't bottomed out. While youre there, cut the end at an angle so it can't bottom out.
Might not be the problem, but it can be.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find. Any input on the constant "trickle charger" issue I listed above?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find. Any input on the constant "trickle charger" issue I listed above?
If it's an automatic charger and shuts off when charged, I don't see any problem.
But with the M/F battery, it really isn't needed.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I plug mine in every time I ride. The charger goes to fully charged within 30 seconds. The only time I really feel I need to charge it in is when the fan is still running but as a creature of habit the charger goes on. A good working maintainer will not hurt if hooked up when parked. I have the Yuasa MF battery.
If using a digital meter select DC usually marked with - and the 20 volt range. Check your voltage at the battery and the engine running. If you have a maintainer harness hooked to your battery you can take you readings there.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input guys! How does this sound. Upon following the flow chart provided by wkrizn (thanks) I started the diagnostics. I didn't get past the first step. When I idled up to 5000 rpm's the meter tested in normal range. So I followed the next step which was to clean connections and reassemble. Upon inspecting the connections I found the green wire that connects to the ignition coil was very loose. (just about hangin' on, intermitant contact) Could this have been the issue? Read the Clymer book and said this part plays a major function in the charging process. I will be road testing again this evening, and then putting back on the trickle charger and see what happens. Any feed back?

Thanks again,
Jay
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM

I had the same thing happen with my 2001 750. It shut off on me on the way home from work. I moved some wires around under the left side side pannel and it started back up ran fine.The guys I ride at work with they thaught it was dirt in the fuel. Then i took notice on sunday that the head light wasn't working, thaught maybe a blown fuse. That wasn't it I started the bike with the left side pannel off and started to smell plastic burning and saw some light smoke. after looking around I found three yellow wires all melted togeather shorting the bike out.I rewired the three wires and so far no problems.not sure if this is your problem but its a good place to start.

Last edited by BUBBA20_2; 06-18-2008 at 08:00 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
....Upon inspecting the connections I found the green wire that connects to the ignition coil was very loose. (just about hangin' on, intermitant contact) Could this have been the issue?

As far the bike quiting on you, yes , likely.

There also is a well known condition that I call the Phantom Gas Syndrome..in with the bike seems to stall (like it is running out of gas) Oddly, after the bike sits for a few minutes it starts right up and no more problems. The current theory on this is that the gas cap is not venting properly for some reason and opening the cap up will solve the issue. Many keep a spare key in the cap at all times to open it while riding.

As far as charging goes...if your bike is charging properly, and you have a MF battery, there is no real reason to use a trickle charger. I got one when I bought my battery and in the almost five years I had it I only used the charger 2 times. If you need to charge the battery to start the bike, something is wrong.
Some even feel that using a charger all the time actualy hurts the battery. In some ways this is certainly true...have read alot of reports on chargers going bad and taking out the battery.

Before I read your last post I would have suggested checking ALL your electrical connections, especialy the ground wire to the frame. It is amazing how many problems reported turned out to be a loose ground or loose connections at the battery terminals.

If you are getting 13.4 tp 14.8 volts at the battery when the bike is running and you crank it up to 4-5,000 rpms...your charging system is fine and the only reason to use a trickle charger would be if all your rides are less than 5 minutes long.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement