Any opinions? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Any opinions?

So I replaced my stator and my rr. But the bike still doesn't want to stay running. I have been having problems with it revving hight while in neutral and first. But recently learned that if I put the choke on it goes back down. Leading me to think air is getting in some where. The other problem is after riding for an hour or so it will want to stall out. Even stutter when I am shifting through 2nd and first. Almost like it's not getting enough gas. And if I come to a light or stop sign and stop it will completely stall out and then not want to start again. To the point I drain the battery trying to get it to start again...

Now my friend says I am getting air through my reed valves, so I'm going to do a coaster mod this week. But can anyone think of why once it gets hot it wants to stall out and then not start? Or if the coaster mod will fix this problem? All feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:59 PM

Question

Need to check boots for air leaks.

But, sounds like it's going lean or rich, hard to tell from here. Oil smell like gas? Petcock vacuum hose is dry or wet? Gas flow from petcock is good? Spark plug color?

When you choke it, it could slow down because it's flooding.

Air injection has nothing to do with it, but it's a good mod, was glad to have mine gone.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:03 PM

If you knew it was flooding, holding the throttle open should help it clear out and start. If it stalls from being lean, choking might start it, if the carb has fuel.

My bike on a hot start, I can't open the throttle at all or it will just crank and eventually backfire, no start. Throttle closed, one touch start, sometimes like turning on an electric motor.

It all depends on your fuel situation.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 PM

One last: Does the tach drop right to zero when it's stalling or just drops with engine rpm until the engine stops?

Tach cutoff to zero, while engine is still turning, can be a front coil or Ignitor problem. (or wiring)

2003-21k mi

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Thanks for the feedback! I am getting close to throwing a tarp over it, and keeping it out of site out of mind for awhile, haha!

I do know at one point the tach went straight to zero when in second. (I am not positive if it does it every time, when it happens I am looking at everything all at once trying to get it running, so not certain. It sounded like it had shut off, but I pulled back on the gas all the way and it started moving again. Thats when it was sputtering at one point.

Pulling the throttle doesnt help it start. When I stall I basically try to get it started as followed. Pop it in neutral try to start - no go. turn on the choke try to start - no go. choke off petcock on - no go. leave the choke on put petcock on prime - no go. Crank throttle 5 to 10 times leave on choke and petcock - no go. then I just try a variation of those until something does work.

Problem is (and to give a more exact idea if it helps) I rode for about 40 minutes yesterday, when I stopped at my moms place and left it running. Came out, sat on the bike get it off the kick stand and it died as soon as I threw it in first and tried to go. Diddnt want to start for 15 minutes... Got it running, sputtered through 1st and second, went down the road 4 miles, came to a red light and stalled again as soon as it turned green and tried to start moving. Couldnt get it running for 10 minutes. Got to a restaurant got a bite to eat, and when I came out an hour later it starts right up, go 200 yards down the road sputtering like crazy turn the choke on a bit stops it from sputtering, come to a stop, stalls out, and cant get it started. Tried until it drained the battery. (Also if it helps, it sometimes will shut off when I first start it just by tilting it from the kickstand).

As far as the petcock, and the spark plugs I can check either today or tomorrow. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again!

Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 05-18-2015 at 08:58 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I am getting close to throwing a tarp over it, and keeping it out of site out of mind for awhile, haha!

I do know at one point the tach went straight to zero when in second. (I am not positive if it does it every time, when it happens I am looking at everything all at once trying to get it running, so not certain. It sounded like it had shut off, but I pulled back on the gas all the way and it started moving again. Thats when it was sputtering at one point.

Pulling the throttle doesnt help it start. When I stall I basically try to get it started as followed. Pop it in neutral try to start - no go. turn on the choke try to start - no go. choke off petcock on - no go. leave the choke on put petcock on prime - no go. Crank throttle 5 to 10 times leave on choke and petcock - no go. then I just try a variation of those until something does work.

Problem is (and to give a more exact idea if it helps) I rode for about 40 minutes yesterday, when I stopped at my moms place and left it running. Came out, sat on the bike get it off the kick stand and it died as soon as I threw it in first and tried to go. Diddnt want to start for 15 minutes... Got it running, sputtered through 1st and second, went down the road 4 miles, came to a red light and stalled again as soon as it turned green and tried to start moving. Couldnt get it running for 10 minutes. Got to a restaurant got a bite to eat, and when I came out an hour later it starts right up, go 200 yards down the road sputtering like crazy turn the choke on a bit stops it from sputtering, come to a stop, stalls out, and cant get it started. Tried until it drained the battery. (Also if it helps, it sometimes will shut off when I first start it just by tilting it from the kickstand).

As far as the petcock, and the spark plugs I can check either today or tomorrow. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again!
Have you checked your float levels ?

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

I have not checked my float levels. I will do some research on here and figure out how to do that too. If it is easy I am going to add it to the following list.

I think I am going to try the easiest things first. Check the spark plugs, do a backblow procedure, and run heavy mixture of seafoam in the half a tank thats in it. Check oil to see if it smells like gas, and check the petcock (when I drain the bowls will that allow me to check the petcock as well?) along with the coaster mod.

One question on the backblow procedure, step number one on Wolfies post. "Remove the intake device" is that the large black hosing on either side of the carbs?

Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 05-18-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:34 PM

yes they r the black round air ports on the carb its sounds to me like you have a dirty float needle back blow the carbs with the ports off so any dirt thats there will blow out my air box had a bunch o dirt in it too so after the blow back use two ziplock bags put them over the carbs pull out the air filters and blast the air box with carb cleaner untill clean the blow back didnt work for me i had to pull the carbs and clean them by hand
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Well, I regret to inform I am not able to find out whats wrong with it. After doing mcct's to acct's replacing a battery, spline lube, replacing a ground wire, stator mod, moving the r/r, oil change, new spark plugs, having to get a new mount screw put on for new shocks, and the aesthetic changes I have made...

I was going to do the back blow procedure yesterday, and the coaster mod when I had to jump start the bike from this weekend. Well the main fuse blew and 3 others as soon as I put them in and I have lost patients for it.

It is getting the fluids drained, and put under a tarp for the time being.

I appreciate everyones help, and hopefully I change my mind sooner than later.

Cheers!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Did this guy just post a new thread with the title, 'Any Opinions'? That was your first mistake my friend. One day you will look back on this and realize the folly. Nay the impotence, the subsequent puerility to inevitably ensue.

I love you Phoebe!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement