Considering buying an 86 VN750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Considering buying an 86 VN750

Hi All,
I am considering buying an 86 VN750. It seems to run well, no unexpected noises or vibrations, and looks like it is in good shape for it's age. It does not have it's original paint. It is a funky black metalflake. Anyway, the owner is asking $1500 for it. He says he paid $2500 for it 2 years ago. It has 8300 miles on it, new tires and battery. The fork seals leak a bit. Not a lot. Other than that it looks ok, although, I am no expert. This would be my first bike and would like feedback on whether you think this is a fair price for it. I am thinking of offering $1200 for it if I decide I want it.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 04:48 PM

Re: Considering buying an 86 VN750

Hi there

I own a 86 VN750 bought for $1200 Back in Nov. 2004. First let me say the VN750 is a competent design with lots of built in extras not found in most cruisers today. Notable exception is the present 2005 VN750. That said there are lots of bewares on any older bike. The list of stuff I have replaced is long. Where as a friend of mine has 86 VN750 black that has 4000 miles nad needs nothing and that is how he bought it last year for about $2500.
Buy both the Clymers and the Kawasaki manual it will save you a bundle of time.
My bike had approx. 8000 miles on the speedometer , but the speedommeter cable was broken / rusted through. My true mileage is unkown. Yours could be in a lot better shape than mine. First thing I replaced was the battery. Change the oil and do not use the bottom oil drain plug use the big side plug, and clean out the internal oil screen behind the plug, spring. My example had more sun time than I like and currently the coolant reservoir plastic bottle is breaking up, I am ordereing a new one this week.. The rear drive splines probably have never been lubed. Read all the things in the VN750 forum and lube them. Ronayers.com has the best prices for replacement parts and use the online parts diagrams for orders.
Good Riding.

Edgar Rountree
86 VN750 (No Name yet)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 01:17 PM

I bought an 86 VN750 for $100. I had to replace the tires, lube the splines (to get it running and rideable.) Since I've done several things, but $1500 seems high if its not in Mint condition.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Vin

I bought my '86 VN750 this past August for $800. It had 4300 miles on it and was in excellent condition. The owner had purchased it for $600 and put some work into it so was just looking to recoup his costs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 PM
spence

Send a message via AIM to spence

Unless it's in MINT shape, I would pass even at $1200. Especially this time of year when people are unloading bikes for a song since they don't want the hassle of storing them for the winter. Keep looking.

Spence

1982 KZ1000
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 11:27 PM

I bought an 86 a couple of years ago for $1500 and love the bike. However I have probably spent another grand to make it safe for the road and add my personal touch. Im getting ready to pull the engine and do some work over the winter but I like that kind of stuff. Bottom line if you buy a bike thats 20 years old expect the need to be handy with your hands and tools . If you treat her right she'll treat you right. Enjoy.
E.C.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I bought my 85 for $600 though it's mileage was much higher. Other then that it ran fine. I completely restored it anyway (because I can never leave well enough alone).

Anthony
1985 VN700 (Priscilla) Sold
-------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:00 PM

I paid $1500 for my '86 vulcan 750.I bought it from a retired police sergeant.It is in mint condition.Today I changed the oil and changed the fluid in the final drive.I love my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement