more "sporty" style? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

more "sporty" style?

So I'm on a motor vehicle buy/sell/trade page on FB, and someone posted an 81 or 82 kawi 750(one of those 4 banger cruisers) and it had clip on bars, not that im going to or want to do this to my VN but it got me thinking, the passenger pegs(imo from sitting on a buddies Buell) are around where rear-sets would be placed, maybe a bit farther back, but still in that area. If you were wanting to give the VN a more "sporty" look, with say a sport/cafe styled solo seat, clip on bars and have better constructed pegs where the passengers are for rear-sets, i don't think it would take much to move the rear brake to that location, but the shifter, what would it take to get that all the way back to the location of the passenger pegs? Its a long travel from the gear box to the rear left peg, then you have w/e that is on the engine sticking out right infront of the pipe, then the pipe itself in the way. Like i said, just curious.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:49 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Are you looking for a cruiser or a sport bike? Moving the pegs further back on a cruiser does not make a sports bike. The seats are totally different in that one is designed and engineered for a more sit up position and the other has a more leaning forward position to say the least. Changing a cruiser such as the VN 750 into a bobber is something very different than making it into a sports bike and has been done by several here with great success.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Moving the pegs further back on a cruiser does not make a sports bike.
yes i know this, i'm not saying "ERMERGERD REAR-SETS MAKE IT SPORT BIKE!!" i'm just saying, if one were to throw a cafe seat(which i've seen a pic or two of) on it, throw clip on bars and have rear-sets(passenger peg location feels about right based on the peg position of my buddies Buell) it would give it a more sporty look, but the thing is the shifter, how would one go about getting the shifter all the way back to that location due to part of the engine as well as the rear pipe being in the way, atleast it looks like it would be in the way. Again I'm not saying i want to do this, because i don't, therefore i wont. It was just something that popped into my head after seeing an old 4 banger kawi crusiers with clip on bars(with forward foot controls) for sale on a FB page.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Hiem joints and a pivot point on the shifter and right off the shaft on the motor.would be a LONG joint as the shifter is up front on a vn

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Hiem joints and a pivot point on the shifter and right off the shaft on the motor.would be a LONG joint as the shifter is up front on a vn
If you flipped the rods the right way on a bellcrank, all the upshifts would be down, just like a real superbike.

The clip-on bars would require dropping the triple trees on the forks. The change in geometry might not be too sporty.

I like the look of drag bars on the VN, not sure what I would think of the riding position, would have to try it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement