Re Bane's post" No power" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Re Bane's post" No power"

I don't want to step on Bane's thread so I answer it here. Let's compare 4 STOCK motors. Harley Sportster 883 hp- 46.7. Harley 1200 Sportster hp- 60.8. Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 950 hp- 46.2. Kawasaki VN 750 hp- 66. The VN750 horsepower is underrated, it puts out around 72 hp on a dyno. In the V-Twin world the VN750 engine puts out a lot of power for it's small displacement. We don't have the low end torque but we do have the high rpm power. My point to this post is that a basically STOCK ( slightly modified ) engine has plenty of power and is reliable. Do the ear shaves and custom exhausts and the problems begin with no big improvement in performance ( quite often the opposite). Ma kaw built a good engine and it should be kept that way. Sorry to rag on everyone but the only problem with the VN 750 engine is the crazy modifications done to it. In stock form other than our electrical systems, it is a great bike. JMO
PS: I'm finally going riding, I need it.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:34 AM

jm thanks for the info but i think you might have jumped out to left field on this one it seems that bane was saying that his bike has a problem thats y he has no power i dont think he was raggin on the 750 i think he was askin for help
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

right. our engines are happy over 5k rpm, where they shine and most other V Twins start to peeter out.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaney750 View Post
jm thanks for the info but i think you might have jumped out to left field on this one it seems that bane was saying that his bike has a problem thats y he has no power i dont think he was raggin on the 750 i think he was askin for help
I got that he was asking for help. The reason why he needs the help is what got me going. It's hard to help people with a problem where the engine has been poorly modified. Under these conditions the engine will never run right.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:11 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
I got that he was asking for help. The reason why he needs the help is what got me going. It's hard to help people with a problem where the engine has been poorly modified. Under these conditions the engine will never run right.
But set them up right and they run much better than stock.mine is degoated with screaming eagle mufflers, earshaved with 140/40 jets,air mixture screws set at 2 3/4 turns out,coastered and runs like a raped ape.each one of these motors are different and what works on one might not work on another.jmo

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 AM

I feel like the low end torque is good, from 2500 up, you don't to be lugging below 2300 anyway. Agreed, they love to run 5000 and up. Mine will redline with no stink, no sweat.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 12:47 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
I don't want to step on Bane's thread so I answer it here. Let's compare 4 STOCK motors. Harley Sportster 883 hp- 46.7. Harley 1200 Sportster hp- 60.8. Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 950 hp- 46.2. Kawasaki VN 750 hp- 66. The VN750 horsepower is underrated, it puts out around 72 hp on a dyno. In the V-Twin world the VN750 engine puts out a lot of power for it's small displacement. We don't have the low end torque but we do have the high rpm power. My point to this post is that a basically STOCK ( slightly modified ) engine has plenty of power and is reliable. Do the ear shaves and custom exhausts and the problems begin with no big improvement in performance ( quite often the opposite). Ma kaw built a good engine and it should be kept that way. Sorry to rag on everyone but the only problem with the VN 750 engine is the crazy modifications done to it. In stock form other than our electrical systems, it is a great bike. JMO
PS: I'm finally going riding, I need it.
I noticed that in your signature line you list your machine as being degoated and marbled. I am not trying to start a problem but rather just trying to understand your point which I had agreed with upon first reading. Would you say that your two modifications are minor changes and insignificant to the overall engine performance or these are major changes that let the bike run as intended? I still agree with your original statement that the bike performance is great as it was manufactured. Maybe that is why it lasted for such a long production run. Again, no ragging here either but just a bit confused after seeing your changes and this is not a call out. Can you explain please? Thanks.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM

I used to call my VN750 a bitch-pig because it would run all day at 5k on the highway and not bat an eye. I don't know why I thought "bitch-pig" encapsulated that but I did.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Garage
This post seemed like something Jerry would write. I thought at first that your bike was completely stock and then like Tom I saw the slight modifications you had made. I got no problem with either.

Mine was ear shaved , Degoated and had Jardine Rumblers on it and had the pickup coil mod done as well. I took my time and got the jetting right for my bike ,which is what Doc was saying earlier. All engines usually are a little differently natured than others supposedly Identical ones, even from the factory.

I agree that a lot of people have done some weird stuff to these bikes and wonder why they don't run right. I work on every thing I get. Because I know the factory always leaves some untapped potential in an engine unless it is a full on race bike.

Change is not bad if you do it correctly and make it better. You are correct a lot of people think that because member so and so did that to his bike and it runs better now that's what I'm going to do. Some fail at over estimating their own capabilities and patience to get it right and as you said (paraphrasing here) are doomed from the start.

You thought I was going to be mean to you when I mentioned Jerry didn't you? Not my intention at all you have a valid point, up to a point. You just left out those of us who did those modifications and rode for several seasons with no problems afterward and had pretty good running machines as well

I just want to add one more V-twin bike to the fray, the new Indian Scout, less displacement than the 1200 sportster and a claimed 100 hp box stock. Just felt it was worthy of mention in that crowd of bikes there. The only thing I see wrong with them is they can't make them fast enough, I hear several dealers have waiting lists for them. I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't thrown the bigger displacement bikes in there too. You've got the right idea, I'm going riding too

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
I noticed that in your signature line you list your machine as being degoated and marbled. I am not trying to start a problem but rather just trying to understand your point which I had agreed with upon first reading. Would you say that your two modifications are minor changes and insignificant to the overall engine performance or these are major changes that let the bike run as intended? I still agree with your original statement that the bike performance is great as it was manufactured. Maybe that is why it lasted for such a long production run. Again, no ragging here either but just a bit confused after seeing your changes and this is not a call out. Can you explain please? Thanks.
The two modifications mentioned are to improve the overall performance of the bike. I call them both minor. The marbeling takes about 10 minutes using 1/2" copper pipe end caps. This helps by eliminating some of the emission constraints. Degoating is easy and frees up the exhaust flow. I did add 3 " baffles ahead of the muffler to increase back pressure which increases low end torque with a degoat. Both are minor and easily done. Nothing done inside the engine or carbs to change the original specs so the bike runs as strong as Ma Kaw intended before emissions regulations. I don't think you were ragging. No problem.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done