need some tips before buying a Vulcan - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation need some tips before buying a Vulcan

Hi Everyone
i'm planing to buy a vulcan for everyday use and trips on weekends.

Here where i live i can find models from 1990 to 1993 cheap and good looking but that is my main concern is that the cost is way bellow the normal price of other cruisers (similar engine size).

Please advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:28 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Consider the mileage on each offering and also how is it was stored when it was not running. You have to realize that in your location there should be riding all twelve months of the year where here in New Jersey many years we have to shut down completely for the entire winter. A bike exposed to extreme heat and cold could have more problems. You should be able to tell if the bike was cared for by looking at any visible rust and wear. This model has not been produced for a number of years so you may also want to look at availability of parts for future restoration or repair in Costa Rica. We have a pretty good supply here in the USA mostly by way of selling/swapping within the membership of this forum. Shipping of parts to your location may be cost prohibitive. Good luck and sorry I could not give you a straight definitive answer.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

i can get 36,000 KM, here in Costa Rica we don't have big highways, 4 lanes top. so the mileage its not a problem here, i thinktexas is bigger than my contry XD .
the main fear i have is the battery/stator problem this model have, most of them came with brand new battery and i believe that this is to cover that charging problem.
and i don't know how can i check this before completing any deal.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

take a volt meter with you when you look at the bike. measure the voltage at the battery when its running.. idling might be a little low (12.5 or so I believe is acceptable), but the most important is when turning 3k rpm or more, you should be seeing 14 to 14.5 volts. that tells you the charging system is in basic working order

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
This is probably going against the grain here but if I lived in a different place where parts both new and used weren"t readily available, I would probably look at something different. Not on knock against the 750 but like a previous poster noted I would expect a few problems to crop up on a bike that had been out of production as long as this one ,especially considering the extra cost of shipping you are likely to incur when you purchase parts and the time spent waiting for them to reach you.

I've noticed lately a lot of members on here have moved to different bikes and parts are fairly plentiful here for now. I believe KM once said he can see the time that no one on this forum actually owns a VN750. I'll say that the time that members have own one just because they like them but have another bike they ride for their primary ride, is happening already.

It may not be what you want to hear,but any extra money you can spend on purchasing a later model bike will be money well spent as it may save you a bunch later on down the road.

If you decide to go ahead with the VN750 there are plenty of folks on here that will give you all the help they can ,but there won't be any close by to actually put hands on it for you. Good luck and whatever you decide ,good luck.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
......If you decide to go ahead with the VN750 there are plenty of folks on here that will give you all the help they can ,but there won't be any close by to actually put hands on it for you. Good luck and whatever you decide ,good luck.
What Denny left out was if you are willing to supply round trip airfare to Costa Rica and a place to stay for about a week many of us would be willing to "sacrifice" some time to give you a hand in person. lol I myself was there two years ago and already have plans to return possibly next year. Its a beautiful place and I am sure it is even better on two wheels than in a four wheel cage. Good luck in your decision.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 11-29-2014 at 11:25 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
What Denny left out was if you are willing to supply round trip airfare to Costa Rica and a place to stay for about a week many of us would be willing to "sacrifice" some time to give you a hand in person. lol I myself was there two years ago and already have plans to return possibly next year. Its a beautiful place and I am sure it is even better on two wheels than a four wheel cage. Good luck in your decision.
thats what Im talking about, yuo might have to provide a surfboard to use while I'm there but Id be happy to wrench all night and surf all day!

its a great bike, but as said definately take a volt meter with you and pop the seat off.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:00 PM
gun slinger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
This is probably going against the grain here but if I lived in a different place where parts both new and used weren"t readily available, I would probably look at something different. Not on knock against the 750 but like a previous poster noted I would expect a few problems to crop up on a bike that had been out of production as long as this one ,especially considering the extra cost of shipping you are likely to incur when you purchase parts and the time spent waiting for them to reach you.

I've noticed lately a lot of members on here have moved to different bikes and parts are fairly plentiful here for now. I believe KM once said he can see the time that no one on this forum actually owns a VN750. I'll say that the time that members have own one just because they like them but have another bike they ride for their primary ride, is happening already.

It may not be what you want to hear,but any extra money you can spend on purchasing a later model bike will be money well spent as it may save you a bunch later on down the road.

If you decide to go ahead with the VN750 there are plenty of folks on here that will give you all the help they can ,but there won't be any close by to actually put hands on it for you. Good luck and whatever you decide ,good luck.

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have owned 2 Vulcan 750s, and have had good luck with them. But, they were both bought new. The Vulcan 750 has a lot of known issues, which most owners don't know about, that can cause serious problems. Stators tend to fail, and you have to pull the engine to replace one. Pulling the engine means disassembling much of the bike. The counterbalancer dampers tend to fail after many years, allowing the balancer to grind right through the case. The cam chain tensioners are perhaps the worst weak spot, they are a poor design, and are almost guaranteed to fail, and if you let them go too far, they will destroy the engine. The final drive splines were not lubricated properly at the factory, and are prone to failure. Knowing about this, I did a spline lube on my brand new 2002 about a week after bring it home. Splines were bone dry. Had I waited until the manual said to do it, there would have been considerable damage to the splines.

I personally would not buy a used Vulcan 750. There are just too many possible problems that are almost impossible to check when buying, and chances are high that some of these serious issues will exist. As much as I like riding this bike, I do not at all like the way Kawasaki designed it. It runs beautifully, but is just too complex, and there are too many things that at least IMO were not designed right. Actually this whole post in my opinion, but do a lot of reading on this forum about the problems people are having with it before you decide to buy one.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:00 PM

its a great bike, but as said definately take a volt meter with you and pop the seat off.

Man I wished I had this info when I bought mine! I bought my bike with a fried stator and didnt know any better. This forum has taught me a lot about my bike and now it runs very well and Im very happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement