shifter issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

shifter issues

need some help. the shifter broke on my 89 vulcan 750 and the shop that i took it to says that the motor hasto be pulled out to get to the shaft. is this true or can you pull the case off with the motor still in the bike. the guy quoted me $800-900 to do the job and check the carbs. i bought the bike for $1300. am i getting ripped on or is it something that can be done without removing the motor.

thanks guys,

viper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Search Goddess

First, let's clear up a few things..
Did it break off or is it just not shifting? If it actually broke off then yes, if it is just not shifting then the culprit might be the change lever spring part #92081-1829 Given the age of your bike these tend to wear and the small clip like part breaks and pretty much leaves you in first or neutral. You do not have to pull or tilt the engine to get to the change lever spring but you do have to drain the oil and pull the external shift mechahism cover (where your oil sight glass is.. ) You might have to lift the engine up a bit for the cover to clear and you will need a new gasket Pages 235-239 of the Clymers manual cover this, although they start out with Remove engine.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Search Goddess

BTW, if it is the actual shaft that needs replacing have them replace the balancers while they are in there.
If it is the change lever spring, probably should replace or inspect the pawl too.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

hey dianna,

the bike is stuck in 3rd gear. i don't know if it's the shaft that is broken or not. the shift lever just drops when you lift it up. i'm trying to get it fixed without trying to spend more on it than what i bought it for.

thanks,

viper
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Search Goddess

Part Number: 13165-1120
Description PAWL
Price $6.14

Part Number: 92081-1829
Description SPRING,CHANGE LEVER
Price $3.74

The two things are the most common cause of a shift lever not shifting or sloppy shifting

Part Number: 11060-1091
Description GASKET,TRANSMISSION C
Price $4.22

Check out these threads.. sounds like pretty much the same problem

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4994

And this response from another post
JasonDH7608-21-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm new to the forum, as I just purchased a 1993 Vulcan. I love it, comfortable ride, nice sound. I've put approx 15 miles on it (10174 total miles) when it quit shifting. I made an emergency stop and downshifted into neutral. When I tried to shift to first, I got nothing - like some of the other forum members are discussing. Luckily, I was approx 1/2 mile from home, and was able to push it home. My question is, if I paid someone to repair the shift lever (splitting the case), how much can I expect to pay??

*****UPDATE*****

After calling a few local shops, explaining the situation, surprisingly, a Harley dealership is the only one who knew what I was talking about. I was quoted anything from $500-800 for repairs, if the shift lever were broke. I usually do my own mechanic work, but felt a complete teardown might be quicker/easier to have someone else do. Wanting to make sure that was the problem, I decided to do some minor exploratory surgery first. The shifter felt like everything was working, it just wouldn't shift. I drained the oil (to remove oil sight glass cover). With no oil in it, I shined a light through the sight glass and shifted - I could see the shift pawl moving, but it wouldn't shift. so I unbolted the cover, moved it out of the way (couldn't get it out completely) and noticed the pawl was retracted away from the cam change drum. I tapped the pawl and it extended out and everything works fine. I replaced the cover, refilled w/ fresh oil, and cruised my neighborhood for a few miles. As of today, I've put over 150 miles on the bike since the repair - no problems.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you have indeed broken the shaft that connects the shift lever to the shift drum, you will need an engine pull and the case split in order to fix it. If you have the tools and the time, you could do it yourself and save the cost of labor. Just be careful and follow the manual(s). I recommend both the Kaw shop manual and the Clymer's as they tend to cover each others omissions.

Good luck either way.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement