New fairing and fuel evap line break - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

New fairing and fuel evap line break

Just got done putting a Plexifairing 3 onto my VN750. Went on quite well and not too difficult for a klutz like me. Took about 2 hours...did require some loosening and readjusting, but finally got it...I think. We'll see on the next ride.

Next step is a rack and a locking trunk. Doesn't look like there are many rack options out there for the VN750, probably because of the weird seat configuration. We'll probably have to go Kawasaki on that and I'm looking at the JC Whitney topbox.

I had the seat off also and noticed that there were two rubber fuel lines leading from two feeds off the rear of the tank (under the front end of the seat). These were both torn and leaking. This is a California bike, so I'm thinking that those are the evap lines for the canister. Any thoughts on this? The service manual is not real clear on where to find this or see where the lines are routed and I'm not ready to do a complete tear down unless it's necessary.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I just did hte ear shave on ine, which means I also pulled all the EPA crap. The lines go to the the bottom right side of the bike, one to the separator and one to the box. Pic:

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...that helps.

Looks like I'm going to have to get under the bike and see if I can find the canister. If I can access it, changing the hoses won't be any big deal, but things look pretty buried under there....

We shall see...

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 PM

IIRC, it's under the rear coil, behind the coolant reservoir, in front of the battery box...I think...

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Yep - that's where they are. The R2D2 looking separator and the big black box. You have to pull the reservoir to get to them but it's only one bolt...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Lebanon, NJ

I have this travel trunk and am very happy with it. I just needed to replace the 4 round headed bolts that came with it with 4 flat head ones. For what it is, a cheap trunk, it's pretty good.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...t=TRAVEL+TRUNK

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

That's exactly the trunk I'm planning to get. I need a box I can lock stuff in when I'm not standing in view of the bike.

Did you mount it on the Kawasaki tail rack that is designed for the VN750, or do you have an aftermarket rack of some kind? Is the box stable on the rack? Any sign that it wiggles around or other problems?

Thanks in advance for your reply, Hiker, and thanks also to the others for the valuable information about replacing the vapor recovery lines...that's the project for this weekend...

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Lebanon, NJ

It's mounted to the Kawasaki tail rack, tight as a drum, no wiggles etc.. Read the reviews on JCWhitney and you'll see what I mean about the round head screws that come with it, might want to replace them.

Was easily as hell to mount. It's really not a bad trunk at all.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, I tore into the bike this afternoon (should have gone for a ride...it was 74 perfect sunny degrees here and everyone was riding!!) to trace those vapor purge lines. AJ was exactly right...the canister is right behind the radiator overflow reservoir and is held in place with a rubber strap. The two lines attached exactly as shown in the diagram, so it won't be difficult to replace them...I'll jot down to the auto parts store for some replacement fuel hose next week and I expect to have everything repaired and buttoned up next weekend.

One thing I also noticed was that if the coolant lines ever need replacing, I'm in serious trouble...looks like the tank has to come off and they're kind of all over the place. That might be something I let the mechanics handle...I can do simple stuff like this vapor line replacement, but I wouldn't try the more complex stuff...I guess that's an advantage of air-cooled engines...a lot simpler and fewer parts and assemblies to worry about...

I'll be ordering the rack and trunk box soon...more to follow...

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got some nice Tygon tubing and replaced the cracked lines from and to the tank and separator. It took a little struggle routing the lines away from hot areas and then getting everything attached...fingers are too large, but we got that part done.

Went to reattach the cooling system expansion tank and discovered that I could not get it into place...also, the line coming out of the top of the expansion tank next to the fill spout appeared to have become detached from wherever it was attached to...my recollection is that that is a drain line which is routed to dump overflow onto the ground under the bike...does that sound right? If so, I can't seem to route it properly, as it impinges on the rear cylinder as it loops over and down and I know that's not right. If it's not a drain line, where does it attach? If it is a drain line, how is it routed?

Also, what's the trick to getting the expansion tank into proper orientation so I can bolt it up?

You all have been very helpful and I'm learning a bunch...Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement