How many bikes are left out there? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

How many bikes are left out there?

I was contemplating while I looked at the Ebay parts listings that yet a nother VN750 had been Parted out. I understand this is a nessary evil due to the lack of oem parts out there.

But does any one know how many bikes were made and how many runners are left?

The local wrecker has 4 or 5 parted out here in sacto. None will ever be brought back to life.

Am I just being romantic for our now discontinued metric marvle or do you believe that our numbers are dwindling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM

You got a good point there Lurch.It would be interesting to see some numbers on this.

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I know that there is a way to figure out the number of bikes mad ein any given year by the VIN. I just don't know how it's done. Anyone know the code? We could each post what we found by looking a the VINs for our model year and make a guesstimate. I say guess because the number would only be what number bike yours is. There may have been more made after yours. Although at a guess I would say that we are a long way away from them becoming rare.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
Although at a guess I would say that we are a long way away from them becoming rare.

Are you so shure? Think about but how may are left on the road?

For exmple we have over 4000 members with bikes in varius states of repair. And this is just folk who have internet. 4000 out of a total production run for the yearts of 1986 to 2007 that has got to be a mear fraction of the total.

When you went out last time on your bike how many VN750's did you see? I bet it was probably was less than 1. And if you live here in Sacrameto I can say I have only seen 1 other Vulcan 750 and it was parked.

With the release of newer bikes and a dwindling parts supply our modle may become very hard to find in the comming years.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Likely there are more running Vulcan 750's than there are RD 350/400's , 550 Secca's, 250 Exciter's, and a host of other discontinued motorcycles.
The folks here on this forum are for the most part a fraction of the owners out there. I have met at least 4 other Vulcan owners in the area where I live, and none of them belonged to either of the VN forums.
Out of 46 bikes I saw at "Bike Night" down in Ft. Meyers Florida ...one of them was a Vulcan 750.
In many aspects, they are not that rare. I have not even seen anyone around here riding a Ducati, Motoguzi, or for that matter a Bonnivile.

It is quite possible you are the only one on your block with one, but if the only other bikes on your block are your neighbors Gold Wing and the kid down the streets R1. then your Vulcan makes up for 1 out of 3 bikes in your area.

They made this model for 25 years, granted it was not the most popular model sold each year, but there are ALOT out there.........
(and I still have one in my garage)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 PM

What KM said. Going by the VIN numbers the first 4 years, from the time production switched completely to the US on probably averaged a production of at least 1200 a year; that's a _minimum_ of ~26,000 bikes produced over a 22 year run. Considering that there are so few actually in salvage yards, (two only in the 6 yards here in the Houston area), there's no telling how many are still running, much less how many are sitting unregistered in someone's garage or back yard.

Judging by the difference between the VIN numbers on both my '95s, built just 3 months apart, there were a helluva lot more than 1200 a year built. The only way of knowing for sure would be contact the factory.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 PM

All we need to do is keep them alive for 20 more years and they'll be worth more than we paid for them! Had I kept my Kawasaki triples (350 and 500) I would be a happy man.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 PM

there must be a lot out there as some of you have said, in riding with pgr, i must have ridden with400 different bikers and possibly only 2 more 750s. but everyone seems to know the bike from someone, somewhere else. always a good comment from them.that i know of, i have ridden with 1 triumph ,no guzzis or ducattis.mostly hds, thenhondas,victories and then kawasakis
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Well, I know of 14 here in the Houston area, from either this forum or the Yahoo group; 9 of those are on this side of town, and 3 are in my yard. Add the two 700s in the salvage yard near me, the 750 sitting at the yard's shop waiting for pickup (plus the 3 they've sold the last couple years), the one ridden by a guy I met a couple weeks ago at another yard (plus the other one _they_ sold)...see what I mean?

Then there's the others I've seen and not been able to catch up with around town...

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Bought mine six months ago. Have not seen another one yet. I know one guy who has a 500, that's the closest I've seen so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement