Magnetic Oil Plugs ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question Magnetic Oil Plugs ??

Are magnetic oil plugs a good thing ?? Do you use one, if so does it pick up many particles of metal from your 750 Vulcan oil ?? The one I was looking at didn't seem to have the holes in the threaded part, and looked like it would have to be completly removed to start to drain, I like the way the OEM is made as it lets most of the oil drain before complete removal...
What is your opinion on the magnetic oil plug ??
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Since no one else jumped in..

Yes, magnetic drain plugs are good. Many bikes I have owned came with them. Oddly my FJR has one in the final drive, but not in the crankcase..(and FYI , they are interchangable)
"Oddly" may not be the right word here however. The final drive has STEEL gears in it, and the engine has mostly aluminum parts in it..(not magnetic)

Also , as I hope that you do know...behind the side drain plug on the Vulcan is a small tubular screen, that does a pretty good job of catching tiny pieces of crap. Many have gotten warnings of impending internal failures by finding bits of stuff in this screen. It should be removed and cleaned with each oil change...or replaced if damaged. (the fine wire screen seems to break easy) If you don't have this screen..common in used bikes, refer to the parts diagram. I think there is a screen and a metal washer that go behind the drain plug.

There might be a magnetic plug available that fits the Vulcan, but I would consider it a pretty low priority farkle.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Thanks KM;
And yes I am aware of the screen and do clean it every oil change... I did find on my first oil change (100mi) a few small particles of what appeared to be red plastic in the screen ????? I have had very clean screens since and now have a tad less than 9k on the bike ... I did see a magnetic oil plug for the Vulcan 750 and thought strongly about ordering one, even though a lot of the oiled parts are aluminum, there are still a lot that are not... Being a puter dummy I probably couldn't even find it again anyway, so I'll probably just drop the magnetic oil plug bit, even though I feel it would catch minute particles that passed through the screen... If I can find it again I may try one though...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM

My standard sump plug was in fairly 'ordinary' condition, so I replaced it with a magnetic one I found on e-bay and I'm really happy with it. Seems to be a good quality item using a really strong rare earth magnet in the centre.

I've only done 1 oil change since using it, and there was a tiny amount of greyish paste stuck to the magnet so it seems to be doing something.

1986 VN750
Rebuild completed April '07
Pics here

2005 Z750
107 RWHP
Pic here
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Thanks OzKaw;
Thats what I wanted to hear (about the paste), I think that would be minute ferrous(sp) metal particules which should be caught and removed from the oil... Turns out the one I saw was on e-bay also (from Stillsun, I think), but couldn't find a direct contact for them and I don't do e-bay, my son however does, I think, may get him to get me one... Thanks again, and have a good one...Old Dog...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:55 PM

No worries Old Dog, glad I could help.
Here's the link for them on e-bay... Oil Plug

The washer with the o-ring moulded in it that comes with the plug is a bonus as well.

Cheers.

1986 VN750
Rebuild completed April '07
Pics here

2005 Z750
107 RWHP
Pic here
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I was looking on eBay for these and found item # 180208796412. It looks a lot different than my drain plug, but they say it will fit the VN750. Am I crazy?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

I don't think you are crazy, I believe they are probably the same, but put up on an extended date--180208796412 and then 180209292061, same price and from the same place as the one the above link goes to and are all from Stillsun... They look different than mine also, but I believe they just don't have the drain holes and would have to be completly removed to drain, not like the OEM, unscrew a bit and drainage will start... But then I do not know, thats just the way I see it, maybe someone will streighten us out on it...lol...
Could we still use the screen with these ?????
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
85 VN 700

From the looks of the plug I'd guess that it screws into the BOTTOM drain hole, not the side one.

As a FYI - there are TWO drain plugs on the vulcan - one on the side (the one with the screen and drain holes and all that good stuff - and one on the bottom of the oil pan. It looks like these would replace the bottom (seldom touched) one.

You'd just want to make sure to remove and clean that plug as well as the side one at oil changes if you replaced it with a magnetic plug.

You might ask the seller what the outer diameter is - if it's around 10 then it's the bottom drain plug, if it's 20-30ish then it's the side plug (all going by memory from my last oil change a couple months ago).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I use the bottom drain plug to drain the majority of the oil and then finish with the side plug. I seem to make less of a mess this way. Curitss is correct, the plug on ebay is for the bottom drain plug as that's where the majority of the metalic crud will settle when the bike is on the center stand.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement