Child Riding Belt - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Child Riding Belt

My 8 year old son really wants me to take him on my motorcycle. I have been looking at kids gear online and came accross a child riding belt. This seems like a good idea because I am concerned with his letting go or falling asleep. Does anyone have any thoughts on this system?

childridingbelt.com/enghome.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I do not like the thought of strapping anyone to me or the bike, my thought is that if they are not big enough to reach the pegs and be able to balance they should not be on a bike.
If for heavens sake something happens and you do have to go down you don't want your son strapped to you, you can fall on him causing major damage.
That is just my oppinion.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I have never used one, but it is better than not using anything at all.
I don't think that an eight yr old is going fall asleep on a motorcycle.
Ussually kid rides are not very long at all. Be careful and go for it.

At one time yrs ago I carried two kids on my bike. One in front of me the other behind me.

02 honda sabre 1100

Last edited by niterider; 01-15-2008 at 10:33 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Old Fart

Garage
First off, if he can not touch the passenger footpegs, you should have him in front of you, not behind.
You should also check with your local laws as some states have rules about the age of passengers allowed on a motorcycle.

I once saw a bike that the owner had installed a pair of passenger pegs to the frame under the gas tank so his young boy could ride in front of his dad. He had his own helmet and leathers..

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

My son can reach the pegs. He has not ridden on it yet, and I am concerned with him remembering and being able to hold on. I was thinking about using the belt until he becomes more used to it. I've heard it is not good to have a child in front of you. In an emergency, he might be in the way of reacting quickly enough. Also, if you have to stop quickly, you keep both hands of the bike but the child may fly off because he can only grip the gas tank so well.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 AM
85 VN 700

I'll make it quick and just say - bad idea. As other said, belting a child to the bike or yourself has a high potential of making things worse - not better.

Only you can make the decision of whether or not your son is grown up enough and ready to ride on the bike. Make sure to impress on him how big of a deal it is that he hold on and not fall asleep (which I can't imagine... but only you know your son).

I'm looking forward to riding with my daughter... but I've got more than a few years (She's 3;-) but loves the sound of the bike)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not ready to have anyone else on the bike with me just yet, but I'm looking at as many situations as I can now, before I get out there with my son. I agree it would not be good to have him trapped under me. It just sounded good because he could not fall off. As far as sleeping, I guess I was thinking if it was late or something. I like the group/forum, I can hear from experience before making mistakes. Again, thanks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Since you are now abandoning the belt idea (and I agree) I'd just mention to make sure your bike has a back rest fitted on the back seat, it'll just give him a bit more support. I'm quite sure he won't fall asleep but a sudden acceleration might catch him out. Surely he'll put his arms around your waist ??
And I strongly recommend you get him his own set of leathers, boots, helmet and especially proper m'cycle gloves - you love him, don't you ?
Good luck
Simon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Since you are now abandoning the belt idea (and I agree) I'd just mention to make sure your bike has a back rest fitted on the back seat, it'll just give him a bit more support. I'm quite sure he won't fall asleep but a sudden acceleration might catch him out. Surely he'll put his arms around your waist ??
And I strongly recommend you get him his own set of leathers, boots, helmet and especially proper m'cycle gloves - you love him, don't you ?
Good luck
Simon
Plus, he'll look really cool in leather!

Check these out:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...t_prod/30/1820

My Wife felt like she needed something more to hold onto. These work great.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I have the back rest. He will most definately have his own gear. I found a couple of sites that make gear for Kids sizes. Alot of stuff I see in stores around here have S and sometimes XS, but I want to get stuff that fits, not just mostly fits. A snug helmet (full face with shield), good leather jacket, sturdy leather boots, a good pair of gloves and pants. I love him more than anything else, that's why I want to prepare before he gets on the bike. I have spent time talking to him about what he can expect with the bike and what will be expected of him. We will continue to talk, until and after he starts riding.

The handles look cool.

Last edited by meade7; 01-16-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement