Motor Won't Turn Over Fast Enouth - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Motor Won't Turn Over Fast Enouth

Sinse The Weather Got Cold The Motor Won't Turn Over Fast Enouth To Start, I Was Thinking The Oil My Be To Thick.(10w40. Or The Other Option I Was Thinking It May Be The Starter? I Put New Battery In And Charged It Up Good. Any Body Have Any Ideas. We Had A Few Nice Days But It Wouldn't Go. 1989 Vn750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM

Check yer choke!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You might check and see if your battery's putting out enough amperage to get the starter going - even new, they sometimes are weak. AutoZone or PepBoys (any place like that) ought to be able to test it for you. Also double-check all of your electrical connections - battery pos to starter relay, relay to starter motor, ground, etc. Anything loose and you'll have a similar problem. If none of those issues is the problem, then you'll want to test your starter....but was it working ok before the cold weather set in?

C

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Agree with Cindy that it's probably the battery and the cold weather - you might just try jumping it with a car battery. It's probably the cold affecting a combination of things resulting in sluggish turnover and no starting. Good luck.

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Agree with Cindy that it's probably the battery and the cold weather - you might just try jumping it with a car battery. It's probably the cold affecting a combination of things resulting in sluggish turnover and no starting. Good luck.
Agreed, but if you jump it off with a car battery, suggest you don't do it with the car's engine running; too much amperage coming from the automotive charging system. You _might_ get away without hurting anything once, maybe even twice, but to me it's not worth taking a chance on blowing a stator or R/R. There's plenty of juice with the car turned off, and plenty in the car battery to start the car afterwards, especially if you warm up the car first, and then shut it down before you hook up the cables.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 AM

Here was a problem I had...

The positive cable that went to the starter motor oxidized where the connector was clamped to the wire and prevented full power from reaching the starter motor. There was enough wire to clip off the bad part, expose fresh wire and crimp a new connector on. This time I soldered it for longer life and replaced the fiber washers on the 'hot' machine screw it attaches to.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Agreed, but if you jump it off with a car battery, suggest you don't do it with the car's engine running; too much amperage coming from the automotive charging system. You _might_ get away without hurting anything once, maybe even twice, but to me it's not worth taking a chance on blowing a stator or R/R. There's plenty of juice with the car turned off, and plenty in the car battery to start the car afterwards, especially if you warm up the car first, and then shut it down before you hook up the cables.

Jim
Sometimes before getting my Battery Tender, I would jump my bike off with a Sears battery charger with a 50 amp start function. Wondering if that was ok or too much.

thanks

Stone
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:56 AM

My bike decided it wasn't going to start at the end of last year and this was caused by the starter motor not turning over fast enough due to muck building up on the commutator and giving a bad connection. I thought it might need a new one, but the shop skimmed it on a lathe and got the muck offf. After that its been fine.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

this weeked i'm going to check this out more ferther with everyones ideas and i will let you all know the out come. thanks for all your help in this matter.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
2FAS4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone777 View Post
Sometimes before getting my Battery Tender, I would jump my bike off with a Sears battery charger with a 50 amp start function. Wondering if that was ok or too much.

thanks

Stone
When I test MC batteries at work, I put a 100amp load on them.
No problems in 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement