I might be trading for a 07 Vulcan 750 12k miles. Help pls NOOB - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Question I might be trading for a 07 Vulcan 750 12k miles. Help pls NOOB

I don't even have a license yet but I'm trying to trade for my first bike.

What do I need to look and listen for? The bike is a a local shop and the owner wants some firearms of mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Jack of all trades

I think you mean 2006... That was the last year they were made lol.

Go over this thread. Look for any leaks and listen for really loud clicking/chattering noises at idle (could be cam chains/adjusters). Ask if the splines are lubed up or if they have to be done. Put the bike on the center stand and rev the snot out of it, if it vibrates like crazy and starts shimmying around the floor the balance dampers need to be replaced. Hop on and squeeze the front brake then try to push the bike forward hard, if there is any issue with the forks you should be able to get a good idea by doing this. Then release the brake and roll forwards and test that front brake to make sure it is firm and not spongy.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

it's actually an 05 i for some reason was thinking it was an 07 lol. Can the baffles be removed or drilled on these?

Last edited by Roguehk; 08-01-2014 at 09:55 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
take a volt meter with you, check battery terminals for 12 [email protected] then between 13.6-14.5 [email protected]'s, if it stays @ 12 [email protected] walk away

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Yes baffles can be removed. I chose to degoat and put Sportster muffs on mine. I think they look and sound much better than stock.

I agree, take a look at the charging system before plunking down some $$. If at a dealer, see if they offer any type of warranty.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

@ 12 [email protected] walk away ? why??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Old Fart

Garage
" Can the baffles be removed or drilled on these? "

That actually made me laugh out loud. Sorry. Of all the questions I'd think a new rider/owner would ask about a bike and that was your second question.
Again, sorry....it's just me.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

well i'm a metal worker and i like to tinker hahaha also like loud bikes
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguehk View Post
@ 12 [email protected] walk away ? why??
If its only getting 12V at 4,000 rpm, then the charging system is messed up. Possibly requiring a new stator, which requires the engine to be pulled from the frame to replace.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
If its only getting 12V at 4,000 rpm, then the charging system is messed up. Possibly requiring a new stator, which requires the engine to be pulled from the frame to replace.
X2 every machine has a weak point and on our bikes (VN750) the stator is the weakest link. Just like a car alternator but a major job to replace.

People have been known to charge the battery up with a charger before selling the bike to someone. Since the bike can start and run about 15 miles on battery power alone the "buyer" doesn't know there's a problem until they've gotten the bike home and ridden a few miles.

While there are several ways to test the stator the easiest way is to take a 10mm socket wrench with an extension and remove the seat with by opening the tool box behind the seat and unbolting the 2 small bolts that hold the seat in place revealing the battery which is under the seat. Lift the set out (this all takes 1 minute) to do this. Start the bike in neutral and while 1 person keeps the throttle / engine at 3000+ rpm put a voltage meter on the battery. If at 3000 rpm you don't see at least 14v walk away.

Realize that at 1000 rpm the voltage may be as low as 11.8v but when the engine is reving the voltage should go up.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement