Rear tire valve stem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Rear tire valve stem

Has anyone out there had problems getting air in the rear tire? I've got a "99 and it seems the straight valve stem is not good for the air pump I have. I've just purchased a pump that has on of those "clip-on" mounts and the lever on top doesn't clear the brake hub. I'd have to bend the valve to the side a bit and that's something I don't want to do for obvious reasons. I did go to PepBoys and purchase an 8" hard rubber valve extention tube (and no I don't leave it on, LOL) to get air in. I have to bend that to the side also, but I don't care if that tears. I was just wondering if anyone had a more practicle suggestion. I have a state inspection comming due and was also thinking about having my mechanic replacing the tube with a tube with a 90 degree angle valve. (better?) Any suggestions or oppinions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:33 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

If you go with a permanent mounted 90 valve stem, just be sure it's an all metal one. The rubber ones will usually end up cracking due to g-forces.
Others here (including me) have gotten screw on 90 adaptors and just take them off after air is added.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
I have a state inspection comming due and was also thinking about having my mechanic replacing the tube with a tube with a 90 degree angle valve. (better?) Any suggestions or oppinions?

Thanks
Your tires are tubeless, so all you have to do is have your mechanic replace the valve stem with the 90 degree valve stem. Much recommended upgrade...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Your tires are tubeless, so all you have to do is have your mechanic replace the valve stem with the 90 degree valve stem. Much recommended upgrade...

Thats what I was thinking, I am also going to have my rear stem replaced with a metal 90 deg. one... A little off subject but I was not liking the way of squirting air into my rear shocks under too much pressure and found that a bicycle fork hand pump would let me do a perfect job without danger of blowing a seal, anyone else use a mountain bike fork pump ??
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Could one use an air tank with a gauge? Air up the tank to 10 psi lets say, and then air up the shocks. It should be about 9 psi in the shocks then. But then again I don't have to deal with that I have to use mine as flat as I can get them.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Could one use an air tank with a gauge? Air up the tank to 10 psi lets say, and then air up the shocks. It should be about 9 psi in the shocks then. But then again I don't have to deal with that I have to use mine as flat as I can get them.
Sure, there are several ways I guess, I was just mentioning the one I now use... Some air tanks even have pressure regulators on them that you could set to the desired pressure, but most loose a bit of pressure due to the small shock cavity when you pop the fitting off, the fitting on the mountain bike fork pump is designed to not loose any pressure as the forks hold a very small amount like our rear shocks... I usually run about 30 psi and set my shocks on the #3 setting... I weigh a bit over 200# + I have saddle bags and a rear bag with junk in them, and every once and again the wife will ride with me, that seems to work ok for me and don't easily bottom out, I turn the shocks up to #4 when I ride 2 up, and don't have to add extra air...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I use one of those small electric comoressors you can buy at Wal mart. To fill a tire they like take forever...but this is a good thing when filling your shock. The larger ones come with a built in gauge, and adaptors for pumping up things like air mattresses and footballs. All you need is a place to plug it in, as they run on 110 AC..Got mine for $16.00.

Another one to keep an eye out for are the tiny ones that run off 12 volt systems. They usualy have a "ciggerette lighter" plug or small alligator clamps. These take even longer, but their size, and the fact they run off your bikes battery make them great little things to keep with the bike for air emergencies.
Autozone was selling one marketed by the SLIME folks for under $20.00 ...I think they had a rebate that cut that in half.
Wal mart sells a small one too, and many folks take the things apart (removing the outer case) to make them even smaller for packing on the bike.
That and one of those "sticky string" tire repair kits are nice to have if and when you pick up a nail on the road.......

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Kinfemaker wrote [That and one of those "sticky string" tire repair kits are nice to have if and when you pick up a nail on the road.......KM] --- Yeah good to have cast wheels too, with the Harley type spoked wheels on the road repairs are much harder, like take the wheel and tire off and take it to a shop and get it fixed... I carry a large CO2 thingy and the "sticky string" type repair kit, hope it works when I need it, better yet hope I never need it...lol...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you don't have saddlebags, where do you carry this stuff? I've been told backpacks on cruisers are not cool!

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
If you don't have saddlebags, where do you carry this stuff? I've been told backpacks on cruisers are not cool!

Well, since you also took out the stock "tail box" you are short for room it seems.
Backpacks are cool it they are leather BTW.

Small tankbags are a good option, and if you relocated your R/R..you could concievabley alter the mounting of the battery box and make some room uner the seat.
There is some space behind the sidecovers to stash small items, and you can always just wear jackets with big pockets...just don't fall on them.

(you guys would plotz if I listed all the crap I can carry under the seat of my FJR)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement