Loose chrome piece - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Loose chrome piece

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an idea on how to re-apply a chrome piece that fell on the frame of my bike. It's the small little circular chrome piece that fits over the opening where the frame is welded together. There are several bolts that hold things together in there and I want to make sure there is access to this if needed in the future. I think the piece was spot glued on to begin with, however I don't want to use a cement if not called for because I don't know if I or anyone else will ever need to get to these bolts. Seems like a small problem but I want to do it right. If it's glued, can someone give me the correct stuff to use. If it's not, could someone give me a suggestion on how to reapply so it will stay on but be easily removed if need be.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If your talking about the swing arm cap..(there is one on each side of the bike) , then use silicone seal to glue it back on. They seem to fall off in cold weather alot (if they have never been re-glued) and thats what just about everyone uses to put them back on.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ditto. They can be a little cranky to get back on - I just used a soft-head mallet with a towel between it and the swingarm cap. Went on just fine. Wiped off the excess clear silicone once the cap was on.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I seem to remember someone having troubles with the cap staying in place while the silicone dried (was that you, Cindy?)
Some tape should hold it on well enough until things set-up & dry.

And, while you are doing the one, ya might as well do the other one too. No doubt it will fall off sooner or later as well.
But don't stop there, as long as the silicone is out, put a couple dabs on the nut that holds the toolbox lock on, it's known to come loose and ya end up losing the lock, which, if you go to the dealer to get a replacement, you're looking at big $$'s for a little part.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Would someone post a pic of these caps? I don't think mine has had them since I have owned it! Does it hurt anything to not have them? If I need them is the best place to get them eBay? Or are there any aftermarket replacements? Or are these common on shaft-drive Kawasakis?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Would someone post a pic of these caps? I don't think mine has had them since I have owned it! Does it hurt anything to not have them? If I need them is the best place to get them eBay? Or are there any aftermarket replacements? Or are these common on shaft-drive Kawasakis?

Look at the photo of the bike at the top of the page..right under the side cover above the muffler you will see a chrome cap, about the same size as the emblem on the tank. There is one on each side, and it covers the swing arm pivot.
I am not aware of any aftermarket replacements, and as they are not really expensive, you can get them from your dealer and glue them on yourself.
As are they needed? Well , the bike looks better with them there, but I do not think they really protect anything, as the swing arm bushings are sealed.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 PM

Both of mine are gone. :-(
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will use the silicone and tape it on until dry. Good idea about doing both, and the lock. Thanks for the help
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post

You can probably make some out of that fix a mirror plastic chrome that they sell at the parts store. Maybe a silver dallor fits in there.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
You can probably make some out of that fix a mirror plastic chrome that they sell at the parts store.
Hey, I never thought of that! I have some of that stuff sitting around, in the garage.... somewhere.
Great idea Niterider

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement