Spline Lube??-Moly A must or EP lube OK ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question Spline Lube??-Moly A must or EP lube OK ??

I am having a hard time finding the 70 Moly lube and wondering if a extreme pressure lube such as the red Lucas FP grease would be OK or should I search harder for the Moly grease ??? I have used the (labratory grade) moly in powder form as a bullet coating and also mixed it with EP grease as a lube but didn't see any improvement over the original grease... I have used the red Lucas EP grease as a lug lube on the bolts of rifles which are subjected to as much as 75,000 PSI pressure and it seemed to do the job... Remember this is a question not an answer ???????
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can get Moly 60 at a Honda dealer (if you have one in the area). I can't rem offhand what I paid for it - maybe $10-12 a tube? Haven't used the FP so I can't compare, but others have tried different lubes (some pricier than others), with - predictably - varied results.

C
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 PM

the advantage the Moly has over other types of grease is staying power. It doesn't break down like other greases and the moly helps the grease to stick to the surfaces being lubricated. It also gets into every nook and cranny as it is used. I would imagine the EP grease would be OK, you may have to check your splines more often just to insure proper lube and that the grease is in there doing its job but for the peace of mind, the moly grease may be the best thing to use in this application.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 PM

$10 for moly60 @ my Honda dealer (45 miles). You can find it online and sometimes with free shipping. My local Honda dealer is also theH-d dealer and they do not use or stock moly 60--I had to drive 45 miles to find a Honda only dealer that stocked moly lube. Looks to me like my local dealer is more into servicing HD correctly and their imports are allowed to suffer as a bastard child.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Hey OLD DOG: The best Synthetic Moly in the industry is AMSOIL HD,$5.50 a tube..Nobody beat Amsoil products for sear reliability and dependability.We are also the only company to give you a Warranty on their products(since1972) against LUBRICANTION FAILURE.Just ask and I can show you how you can purchase All Amsoil products at COST..Thats right COST..Hope you look into our products as there are only TWO FULL SYNTHETICS in the business,Amsoil and Mobil one (only mobile one none of its other products are)We again have been in business since 1972 we Do know what we are doing.Thanks for reading..If I can be of any further help please let me know.Amsoil Man.../;o)

Marbled
Pick ups reset
Splines lubed
Kenda Kruz tires 110Frt. / 170 rear
Custom saddle seat
Backrest
1500 classic rear fender
Cobra slants /Custom Made turndowns
Diamond Plate Buffalo Leather Bags
Throttle lock
Front bearings repacked
Front shock oil replaced
Led bulbs
Amp meter
Running Boards
Dial A Jet Carb settings
Gremlin Bell (front mount)
Fully Lubed with Amsoil Lubricants
Trailer hitch / Hidden

Your Local AMSOIL Connection! Cell#989-329-1225
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you have pure powdered Moly , then by holy crap use it. Add just a enough of your high temp grease to get a paste and shove about a heapeing teaspoons worth into the the spline cavity. Use your finger (wearing a rubber glove helps) to work some into the "male" ends teeth and your good to go.

The higher the Moly content the better. Honda's grease is "60%" , and I have seen a some lableled 70%...but if you have some pure Moly powder, you got those beat. (provided you do not use too much of your high temp grease and "dilute" it )

Amsoil guy...you sell synthetic grease with moly, or , synthetic moly? What percentage is the moly content?
How does this compare with Dupont Krytox??
AND..I only see 14 tubes of the "synthetic grease with moly" for $56.00.
We have looked at this grease before, but no one has given us any information on the moly content.
KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 12-26-2007 at 10:20 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Old Dog, use the Honda moly 60, or a moly 70 product.

Make sure whatever you use for your drive splines has at least 60% moly in the grease.

Be sure to regrease your splines each time you change your tires, with the above.

These grease formulations are inexpensive, and most of all....have a proven track record.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Thanks all... I went by the Kaw. & Honda shop also today neither had the moly 60 spline lube, both said they just used a good bearing lube... I will check the auto parts stores later but if I don't find the moly there I will probably just use the Lucas Red & Tacky #2 that I have on hand as it has a drop point of 540 Deg., is extreme pressure bearing grease... It is tacky for sure... And I may add some of the labratory grade moly powder that I have, but it is very expensive, about $50 for 3-4 oz.
I am sort of the opinion that if there is a problem with the splines that it must be from either back lash (I call it slop) in the splines or too soft of metals being used, but I will be sure to keep them lubed anyway...
Thanks again, and have a good one...Old Dog...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
.... I am sort of the opinion that if there is a problem with the splines that it must be from either back lash (I call it slop) in the splines or too soft of metals being used,... ...

Well, it has more to do with size...and heat.

The splines are just plain small..and have to handle all the torque/power the engine puts out. They also get hot, hence the use of high temp grease..(not high pressure grease, diffrent animal really) Moly ,as mentioned, sticks well and is resistant to "melting off".
Even Moly grease will , over time , "melt off" but as this area is not easy to get to, and tends to only be opened up and checked when you are changing tires, Moly is one of the few that seems to last in there.
The more expensive, but "better" alternative is DuPont Krytox synthetic grease. This is what the high dollar racers and NASA uses to grease things they know will get hot.
Most shops do not even know about using Moly grease in there, and this is why we do not take bikes to shops but work on them ourselves......

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 PM

Does the old saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself" apply here?

Old Dog, Red and Tacky does work well, but for peace of mind, the Moly is best.

Question ya'll: all I hear talk about is Honda Moly. What do the rest of the bike shops use? Does Yamaha drive over to the Honda dealer and buy some moly when they need to lube their drives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement