gas breakdown - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question gas breakdown

Does anyone know about how long it takes for gas to breakdown and gum things up?I am going on seven weeks since I rode my bike I run 91 octane in everything I own and put fresh gas in the bike before I parked it.I have never had any gas breakdown in anything.Just started using stabil last year because of this forum everything has been treated except my bike (I thought I would get more riding in but its not looking like it) and for some reason I am getting nervouse.Do you think I should put it in now and run it until i am sure it has gone through the system?Does it take longer for high octane to break down?Whats your thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 AM

In the gas station industry gasoline has a "shelf life" of aboput 90 days - meaning if a storage tank does not receive a new delivery within 90 days a partial load SHOULD be brought it to freshen the gas. This is a rule of thumb and varies by oil company. But if your gas was fresh 7 weeks ago it still should be fine for a while.

Although you don't know how fresh the gas was at the station you bought it from! Most high volume stations get deliveries several times a week if not a load a day or more so this us only a probblem if you got your gas from some back roads mom & pop site.

It does not take any longer for high octane gas to breakdown. So if you are nervous then add the Stabil and run it for 5 or 10 minutes. Can't hurt!

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Ya know this gas thing really bugs me, I usually have problems when I do things right and don't when I don't do things that are supposed to be right...
About 10 yrs. ago I bought a 5000 watt generator oiled & gassed her up, run it an hour or so changed the oil and set her back till I needed it if the power went off in the winter... Well it turned out I didn't need it, but the next fall I tried to start it and the gas in the Carb. bowl had gelled and I had to clean it out and use a little WD-40 sprayed in the carb. throat to get her started... The next year or 2 she was hard to crank, took a few squirts of WD-40, but she did start and run... 2 days ago after setting unstarted, I decided I better try and get her started while we have this warm weather... Well it had set at least 4 yrs. now without being started, I pulled the ole rope several times and decided I had better pull the Carb. bowl and clean things up, low and behold no gelled gas, seemed ok, put the bowl back on and went to the house and got the WD-40 (keep the Gen. in a shed) gave her a spray or two and away she goes... I have had simuliar experiences with outboard 2 strokes and also other engines... Bought an outboard one time that the gas had been ran out of and stored for about 5 yrs. that it took most of the spring and summer to get running right, the Carb. had to be adjusted every time you went out... Makes me wonder what is right and what is wrong, does some gas deterioate and others don't ??? I have decided that if you can crank and let them run a bit every now and again things will turn out all right... Is some of the gas we use just crap and some good gas ???
Have a good one...Old Dog...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Once Banned

Carbs are strange things indeed...

What happened to SeaFoam?

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
85 VN 700

And just a note - I don't know which forum you've been reading, but we don't recommend stabil here - it's... umm... not what it used to be (or it is... which is the problem with the new formulations of gas vs the gas of yesteryear).

We recommend seafoam for fuel stabilization/ carb issues, etc. It's the general consensus here that stabil will actually hurt the situation with the gas of today.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
And just a note - I don't know which forum you've been reading, but we don't recommend stabil here - it's... umm... not what it used to be (or it is... which is the problem with the new formulations of gas vs the gas of yesteryear).

We recommend seafoam for fuel stabilization/ carb issues, etc. It's the general consensus here that stabil will actually hurt the situation with the gas of today.
I asked alot of people in my area what they use and all said stabil and nobody has had a problem.Maybe stabil changed the way they make it.I just never got around to trying seafoam I will sometime.I was surprised that very few people I talked to even heard of seafoam.I have an old beat up mower that I only use for mulching leaves in the fall.I put stabil in it last fall when I was done with it and this fall it started right up I also put it in my tiller with the same result so I would say the stabil did its job.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
In the gas station industry gasoline has a "shelf life" of aboput 90 days - meaning if a storage tank does not receive a new delivery within 90 days a partial load SHOULD be brought it to freshen the gas. This is a rule of thumb and varies by oil company. But if your gas was fresh 7 weeks ago it still should be fine for a while.

Although you don't know how fresh the gas was at the station you bought it from! Most high volume stations get deliveries several times a week if not a load a day or more so this us only a probblem if you got your gas from some back roads mom & pop site.

It does not take any longer for high octane gas to breakdown. So if you are nervous then add the Stabil and run it for 5 or 10 minutes. Can't hurt!
Thanks Scoop it was about 1/4 tank when I filled it and from a high volume station so at least 3/4 of it is fresh.I think I will put it in and be done with it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggnog View Post
Does anyone know about how long it takes for gas to breakdown and gum things up?

I am going on seven weeks since I rode my bike I run 91 octane in everything I own and put fresh gas in the bike before I parked it.I have never had any gas breakdown in anything.Just started using stabil last year because of this forum everything has been treated except my bike (I thought I would get more riding in but its not looking like it) and for some reason I am getting nervouse.
Do you think I should put it in now and run it until i am sure it has gone through the system?
Does it take longer for high octane to break down?
Whats your thoughts???
1. it depends, mostly on the gas itself, and tempatures it is exposed to. How much air and water are able to contaminate it, etc...

2. First I have no idea why you would run 91 octane in the Vulcan, as it runs fine and dandy on Regular...I also would not use Stabil at all..but use Seafoam..as others have reccomended. Either way, I'd put some in the tank and run the bike. Then I'd turn the gas off at the petcock (if you can) and let the bike run till it stops...or...stop the bike and drain the carbs (there is a drain screw at the bottom of each. I'd then pull the fuel line and fill each carb with pure Seafoam or Gumout carb cleaner.
This will ensure that the carb stays nice no matter how long it sets.

3. Higher octane or regular gas can go bad at the same time...alot matters whose gas it is , how fresh it was to begin with, and if it is a "winter" formula or a "summer" formula.
I don't winterize my bike, but if I did, I'd fill the tank, add a bunch of Seafoam, and then, in the spring, I'd drain the entire tank into a gas can for use in the lawn mower, and fill the tank with fresh gas...

Many folks do still reccomend Stabil, and many use it and report "no problems" ...which means nothing really....you can add a teaspoon of sand to your oil and never have a problem...does not mean it's a good idea............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Many folks do still reccomend Stabil, and many use it and report "no problems" ...which means nothing really....you can add a teaspoon of sand to your oil and never have a problem...does not mean it's a good idea............

KM
Yea, I'm one of them. Use seafoam during the riding season. Stabil during the winter season. I've never had a problem. Starts every spring.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
1. it depends, mostly on the gas itself, and tempatures it is exposed to. How much air and water are able to contaminate it, etc...

2. First I have no idea why you would run 91 octane in the Vulcan, as it runs fine and dandy on Regular...I also would not use Stabil at all..but use Seafoam..as others have reccomended. Either way, I'd put some in the tank and run the bike. Then I'd turn the gas off at the petcock (if you can) and let the bike run till it stops...or...stop the bike and drain the carbs (there is a drain screw at the bottom of each. I'd then pull the fuel line and fill each carb with pure Seafoam or Gumout carb cleaner.
This will ensure that the carb stays nice no matter how long it sets.

3. Higher octane or regular gas can go bad at the same time...alot matters whose gas it is , how fresh it was to begin with, and if it is a "winter" formula or a "summer" formula.
I don't winterize my bike, but if I did, I'd fill the tank, add a bunch of Seafoam, and then, in the spring, I'd drain the entire tank into a gas can for use in the lawn mower, and fill the tank with fresh gas...

KM
I was waiting for someone to nail me on the octane I use.I know I dont have to use it I think I have ocd.I have been using that octane or higher my whole life and cant get away from it.I worked for Sunoco all through high school up until I went into the service they have a 94 octane gas that we all thought was wonder juice it made anything you put it in run like hell.Thanks to all for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement