1st Bike an Overwhelmed--Guidance Needed - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

1st Bike and Overwhelmed--Guidance Needed

Hey Y'all,

I'm a 25 year old teacher from Georgia. I have just purchased my first motorcycle and now I am becoming so over-saturated with information that it is honestly becoming a little overwhelming.

The bike is an 2004 and has 12,000 miles. It just had a full tune up and brand new tires put on.

1) I saw that an AGM battery is recommended. Is there a specific brand battery to go with?

2) Waterproof, Shockproof, Digital Volt Meters......where can I purchase one and what else do I need to hook it up?

Is there anything else I should do to benefit and add to the longevity of the bike? Please add any information (links if possible) to this post.

Thank you,
CJ

Last edited by gatrapper; 07-19-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 AM

Read the Vulcan Verses. A wealth of info there. What part of Georgia? Several Georgia riders are regulars here.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM

I'm a teacher as well. Welcome to the forum. You are in the best place possible for help with your bike.

I made the mistake of not replacing my factory battery and after a couple years it leaked acid all over the place and cost me 300 dollars to sort out. I was a hell of a lot dumber then.

For the love of GOD it sounds like your bike is just perfect. Take some pictures and share with everyone. I had a 95VN750 for 15 years. Read the Vulcan Verses as rsavant pointed out. They are a great help.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatrapper View Post
Hey Y'all,

I'm a 25 year old teacher from Georgia. I have just purchased my first motorcycle and now I am becoming so over-saturated with information that it is honestly becoming a little overwhelming.

The bike is an 2004 and has 12,000 miles. It just had a full tune up and brand new tires put on.

1) I saw that an AGM battery is recommended. Is there a specific brand battery to go with?

2) Waterproof, Shockproof, Digital Volt Meters......where can I purchase one and what else do I need to hook it up?

Is there anything else I should do to benefit and add to the longevity of the bike? Please add any information (links if possible) to this post.

Thank you,
CJ
As mentioned, Vulcan Verses is the best place to find any important information needed for this particular bike. It is the best place to start in learning all strategic information to keep the VN 750 running properly. Doing the Spline Lube may be the most neglected service point you could and should do from the very beginning. If there is other information you require on particular subjects than try the search option for this forum and it will lead you to additional information on your chosen subject. Some of your above information should have been listed under the Newbie Check In section but a mod can move it for you. Welcome and give us a little more information as to your riding and wrenching experience.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Pretty much what has already been stated. I'll add that doing searches on Google is usually much easier, just add "vn750 to your question. Ex..."spline lube procedure vn750".

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatrapper View Post
Hey Y'all,

Thank you,
CJ
This AGM "Moto" brand battery is $92.00
http://www.motobattbatteries.com/mot...1986-2006.html

Google any of these different brand AGM part #'s....all are compatible.... YTX14AHL-BS, YTX14AH-BS, YB14AL-A2, YB14A-A2 .....none known to be better than others, except Some issues with the Walmart replacement. Most available local as well. (Autozone, O'Reillys, Pep Boys, Napa or such).....some members here reportedly were able to purchase as cheap as $68.00 (?).
At BatteryPlus, it will be around $90.00.

EDIT: Just located this one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YTX14AHL-BS-...616684&vxp=mtr $44.90 free shipping

hth

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 07-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

I just bought a agm duralast from autozone etx15L I believe (at work don't have part # handy) for $85. Made in USA by Penn, same as big crank and deka I believe.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

What voltmeter should I purchase?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks WilliamTech! Just ordered the Moto AGM battery!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You really don't need a voltmeter unless you plan on adding other electrical accessories.

There's stuff you might want to check before installing a meter. When you had new tires put on did they check the rear splines for grease?

Has anyone checked your charging voltage? If its good adding a voltmeter is less of a rush.

Did you read the sticky here:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-19-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement