Opinions? vn900 vn1500 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Opinions? vn900 vn1500

What is anyones opinion on costs right now for bikes.

2007 vn900 classic hard bags. matching paint.. 1400 miles warr remaining
is it worth 6k.. or just over 5200?

2005 vn1600 classic leather bags 600miles warr remaining til 2010
is it worth 6900 or how much less

vn gods please advise..

Last edited by mstbone67a; 11-29-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'd get the 900. Just like it more...and like hard bags
is it the 900 classic?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM

I have the in-laws 2 vn 900 classics in my garage for the winter.The father in-laws is the LT with the hard leather bags and shield.very nice bikes and I know he paid around $7500 for his this summer.

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

they are both classics, Not LT's
the 2005 vn1600 is $6950

the 2007 vn900 is $6000

Last edited by mstbone67a; 11-30-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: correction
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 06:44 PM

If you want a mid-cruiser for around town and 100-400 mile trips and near 50mpg, the 900 is the choice. If you desire longer trips, lots of 2-up, etc. I would opt for the 1600. Love my 900 but would opt for a nomad now.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstbone67a View Post
What is anyones opinion on costs right now for bikes.

2007 vn900 classic hard bags. matching paint.. 1400 miles warr remaining
is it worth 6k.. or just over 5200?

2005 vn1600 classic leather bags 600miles warr remaining til 2010
is it worth 6900 or how much less

vn gods please advise..
$5,200 for a new(ish) VN900 is a good price. $6k for the bike is still not a bad price but is becoming average on the resale market.

$6,900 for a VN1600 is also not a bad price. Not a great price but not a bad price. I would wonder why it only has 600 miles on the clock. But then again, some people buy bikes and give no throught to them once they are in the garage.

There will be a huge size difference between the two. I'm a bigger guy, so the 1500 Nomad I have is the right bike for me. If I was into a lot of solo riding, the Vn900 might be a great platform for me but for two-up I really like the big Vulcan's.

The Vn900 is a belt driven motorcycle. Not a bad thing but different then the shaft driven VN750 and the VN1600. You will sometimes hear the belt when you are crusing, or so I've been told. I personally have not put on a road trip on a Vn900, so I can only go on a few miles I did on a test ride and the comments others make. But the question still is what kind of riding do you expect to do with the bike and how comfortable are you with a 700lb+ bike? The VN900 is a lighter more nimble bike then the VN1600. There are more accessories available for the VN1600 (right now). The VN1600 is easier to equip for longer rides. I don't know how the Vn900 stock seat is but I've heard that the Vn1600 stock seat compares to a bag of rocks on the frame. In either case, Mustang makes some great aftermarket seats for the bikes.

Another question would be would you keep your VN750 or be a solo bike owner? I have the best of both worlds with a VN750 and a Nomad 1500FI in the garage. If I could only have one bike, then maybe a VN900 equipped for touring might be the answer - or maybe I would just have the Nad. Tuff decision and one I'm glad I don't have to make...

If it came down to a $900 price difference, then I would ask to ride both bikes and would have to look inside to see which bike was the "right fit" for me. The Bulldog would choose the VN1600, but that is just me. You might come to a different answer, which we would hope is right for you.

Good luck...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I paid $5K for my 02' Meanstreak with 6,500 miles. Already had pipes, power commander, braided brake and clutch lines, saddle bags, ISO grips, chrome r/r cover, brand new tires, and was in perfect condition.

I too have a vn750 that I have to repair, but will sell it after its done. After riding the 1500, there's no going back for me.

I have 11,600 miles on the Meanie now, all I have done is change the oil and filter twice, put new plugs in, changed rear fluid, and put a small shield on it. Also put on an after-market intake and re-mapped the PCIII.

I ride it everyday I can to work, 76 miles total commute. I get 41-42 mpg at mostly 75 - 85 mph.

Gusty winds used to blow me around on the 750, doesn't have any effect on the 1500.

I don't know about the reliability of the 900, but the 15/1600 engine and trans is very robust/dependable.

You can get a low mile Meanie for $ 6 - 7K, check them out too.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

Last edited by 93VN750; 12-08-2007 at 07:51 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Massive engined motorcycles have their logical advantages, quieter cruising, good torque and robust transmition configuration. But there are some good reasons for mid size bikes to be out there and not only the price factor. Big engines suffer big time on dense traffic due to overheating and the marginally better performance numbers come at the cost of added weight and fuel.
midsize bikes are very hard performers these days and deliver good numbers all around. You should consider what does suit your needs the best.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Awhile back, when I was a younger and more carefree rider, I roadraced the 250cc-410cc class with a slightly modified RD-400. I hung out with folks that ate, slept, lived nothing but motorcycles. We had a long discussion one night on what was the "perfect" sized bike. We weighed the advantages of every bike on the market then, the disadvantages they had and tried to come to the ultimate comprimise of what a streetbike (not a race bike...although many thought this would still be the same thing) should be.
There were many arguements over the engine configuration, inline four, V-4 , twin, etc...but the actual size of the engine had been pretty much agreed upon.
As much fun as the smaller 250-500 cc bikes were to ride, the concept of long distance riding, and "highway freindlyness" proved that bigger was going to be better. We understood that a bike "too big" would of course loose all the advantage we cited for a smaller enginged bike...quick handling, or "flickability"...lower fatigue on both the rider ,and ...the bike itself from hours bombing through twisty roads.
Although it was of course a comprimise, and there still were arguements over the engine lay-out, the concensous of all the riders that night, along with a few factory wrenches , and some well tipped waitressess, was that the "perfect bike" would have an engine that fell in between ............875 to 910 cc's. It would have duel disc brakes up front, one in the rear. Alloy wheels, a large tank, and some wide rubber.
It was felt that a bike any larger would in some aspects just be a waste of space, making the bike just heavier... and that anything smaller would not have the potential for possessing the raw power needed to excite a normal human being.
Now, many many years later, I still in my heart believe this assessment. 900cc's is all the bike engine one should really need. With the technological advantanges present today in engine design , and the advances in suspension and chasis developement, this seems even more true to me. Problem today is not many makers offer bikes in this range, and the trend is bigger is better.
1200cc , 1500 to 2000cc bikes are what sells and folks are lining up for bigger bikes...and bigger cars (the every popular SUV's). Partly a trickle down from the popularity of Harleys...or the image there-of , Big bikes sell and are, "whats happening" in the world of motorcycles in this country.
To some extent, this does make sence. America is big...huge in fact, and to get from one side to the other, there are long , endlessly smooth flat and straight highways you can take to get there. These boring ribbons of cement call out for huge heavy bikes , that can drone for hours in high gear...while their riders try to enjoy what sceenery is offered to them along these routes.
Luckliy there are riders out there not content with taking the easy way out and believe the shortest distance between to points is not a straight line....So bikes with a little less weight, and some "flickability" are called for. If you can imagine melding both of these worlds together, you might see how coming up with a universal comprimise of a 900cc bike makes some sence.
So , again, my vote remains for the 900.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Luckliy there are riders out there not content with taking the easy way out and believe the shortest distance between to points is not a straight line....So bikes with a little less weight, and some "flickability" are called for. If you can imagine melding both of these worlds together, you might see how coming up with a universal comprimise of a 900cc bike makes some sence.
So , again, my vote remains for the 900.

KM
I couldn't agree more. That's why I bought the Meanstreak. Yes, it's heavy, 650 dry, large displacement twin, but, it handles better than any other large cruiser made.

Having put about 4k miles on my 750, I enjoy the Meanie as it is an extension of the vn750. Riding position on the vn750 is different than most. Riding position on the Meanie is different than most. As different as they are, the Meanie has the same feel as a vn750 just with more grunt. Rev's lower on the highway where I spend most of my time commuting.

So, it really does depend on what the riders wants and needs are.

Check out as many as you can, then make a decision.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement