Originally Posted by wannabe_4x4
Hi. I live in So Cal and was leaning heavily towards buying an '05 Kawi VN 750.
Basically, I just want to know what the long term issues with owning one would be. I'm planning on putting about 12,000 miles a year on the bike, and want to know what your experiences have been as far as repairs go.
I saw on a couple of Delphi boards that there's a problem with the Cam Chain tensioner spring. When exactly does this problem start... like at how many miles? Has the problem been fixed on the '05 model? Is there an upgradeable spring in the aftermarket that will fix the problem?
Thanks for all the help, advice and wisdom in advance.
I have had exactly 3 maintanence issues in 35000mi...things that 'broke' and were not considered consumables, like brake pads.
FinalDrive/Splines go @ 20000mi (dealer and my own ignorance...never lubed!!! Do a search for posts on this.) DEFINITELY PREVENTABLE. Cost to repair =300bux (Dealer labor & towing). I've posted details on here somewhere....
Stator gone to heaven @ 25800mi. Don't know what I could have done to prevent this. I bought a MF HP battery and
a new Electrex RR at 16500mi. ALWAYS had oil topped off. The jury is still out about whether this can be prevented... Cost to repair =180bux for the parts (ElectrexG05 stator, gaskets, shipping) and 16hrs of my time to install. Read all about it in my Stator Replacement Notes in the 'Electrical' section....
Don't know if I should even count this, but I replaced all the wheel bearings at 32200mi when I changed to my second set of Metzelers. Bearings cost me 22bux online, and an additonal hour of my time while doing the tires. I changed them because I started to hear the front ones squeak a bit when I leaned the bike while turning it in my garage. I'm anal when it comes to my ride, so I went for all four bearings....
That's it....besides the usual (and not so usual) upgrades and regular maint, nothing else, nada, zippo.
I think the ACCT is not a major problem, and does not effect everybody. I've read just about everything written abt this on here, Yahoo and VROC (www.vroc.org
), because at 35000mi I've yet to hear the onerous loud clanking, tapping etc as it is described. I'm listening for it and I'm waiting for it to happen...no sign yet tho!
Fixing it seems to be fairly easy...there is a ton of info on the 3 sites I mentioned.
That said...my bike will be 4yrs old in July, and if I were to buy another (I would!), this is what I would do (in my
order of importance...YMMV), knowing what I know now, and averaging about 12000mi a year as well...
- Ditch the oem battery, and get a MF. Just because...~60bux
- Relocate or replace and relocate the oem RR...no cost to relocate, ~120bux to replace.
- At the 500mi service, I would INSIST that the dealer take the rear tire off and inspect/lube both fr and rr splines. Make them notate that they performed this on the invoice! I'd bring my own Moly. They will charge you probably 2hrs labor. Then I would get on an 8000~10000mi program to do this myself. It's easy, really, and will prevent what I went thru at 20000mi.
- Replace the front springs w/ a set of ProgressiveSuspension springs. About 60bux, and you can do this yourself easily.
- Install a voltmeter to monitor the battery. Could save you a tow if the charging system starts to misbehave....
Altho I have a rather long list of mods or upgrades, these are the 5 things the 750 needs, IMHO. The rest is CLAP and general maint.
There are of course all kinds of experiences related here and elsewhere, but, beside the stator and maybe the ACCT, I can't think of any widespread, recurring issues that are not mostly preventable....