long term problems with the VN 750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Question long term problems with the VN 750?

Hi. I live in So Cal and was leaning heavily towards buying an '05 Kawi VN 750.

Basically, I just want to know what the long term issues with owning one would be. I'm planning on putting about 12,000 miles a year on the bike, and want to know what your experiences have been as far as repairs go.

I saw on a couple of Delphi boards that there's a problem with the Cam Chain tensioner spring. When exactly does this problem start... like at how many miles? Has the problem been fixed on the '05 model? Is there an upgradeable spring in the aftermarket that will fix the problem?

Thanks for all the help, advice and wisdom in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:18 AM

Re: long term problems with the VN 750?

Hey Wannabe,
I put on at least that many miles in a year and can tell you that the cam chain tensioners have been the least of my problems. The main thing to do if you decide to go with this bike is to replace the stock battery with a maintenance free, It wouldn't be a bad idea to fuse your stator wires and put a voltage meter on bike as well, in order to be aware when the system isn't charging. Than check your splines on the drive shaft to be sure they're greased well. They didn't grease mine well at all and I will end up buying a new final drive soon. My tensioners may be ready for replacement as well since the chain does sound like it rattles a bit, but it isn't much anything yet, once it warms up it quiets down. The bike is fun to ride though, and plenty enough power for me, but be aware, there is a decent amount of maintenance that needs to be done on this bike just like any other...but maybe less. Hope this helps a little.

Justin
2003 VN750
24000 miles 2nd stator
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_4x4
Hi. I live in So Cal and was leaning heavily towards buying an '05 Kawi VN 750.

Basically, I just want to know what the long term issues with owning one would be. I'm planning on putting about 12,000 miles a year on the bike, and want to know what your experiences have been as far as repairs go.

I saw on a couple of Delphi boards that there's a problem with the Cam Chain tensioner spring. When exactly does this problem start... like at how many miles? Has the problem been fixed on the '05 model? Is there an upgradeable spring in the aftermarket that will fix the problem?

I have had exactly 3 maintanence issues in 35000mi...things that 'broke' and were not considered consumables, like brake pads.

FinalDrive/Splines go @ 20000mi (dealer and my own ignorance...never lubed!!! Do a search for posts on this.) DEFINITELY PREVENTABLE. Cost to repair =300bux (Dealer labor & towing). I've posted details on here somewhere....

Stator gone to heaven @ 25800mi. Don't know what I could have done to prevent this. I bought a MF HP battery and a new Electrex RR at 16500mi. ALWAYS had oil topped off. The jury is still out about whether this can be prevented... Cost to repair =180bux for the parts (ElectrexG05 stator, gaskets, shipping) and 16hrs of my time to install. Read all about it in my Stator Replacement Notes in the 'Electrical' section....

Don't know if I should even count this, but I replaced all the wheel bearings at 32200mi when I changed to my second set of Metzelers. Bearings cost me 22bux online, and an additonal hour of my time while doing the tires. I changed them because I started to hear the front ones squeak a bit when I leaned the bike while turning it in my garage. I'm anal when it comes to my ride, so I went for all four bearings....

That's it....besides the usual (and not so usual) upgrades and regular maint, nothing else, nada, zippo.

I think the ACCT is not a major problem, and does not effect everybody. I've read just about everything written abt this on here, Yahoo and VROC (www.vroc.org), because at 35000mi I've yet to hear the onerous loud clanking, tapping etc as it is described. I'm listening for it and I'm waiting for it to happen...no sign yet tho!
Fixing it seems to be fairly easy...there is a ton of info on the 3 sites I mentioned.
That said...my bike will be 4yrs old in July, and if I were to buy another (I would!), this is what I would do (in my order of importance...YMMV), knowing what I know now, and averaging about 12000mi a year as well...

• Ditch the oem battery, and get a MF. Just because...~60bux
  • Relocate or replace and relocate the oem RR...no cost to relocate, ~120bux to replace.
  • At the 500mi service, I would INSIST that the dealer take the rear tire off and inspect/lube both fr and rr splines. Make them notate that they performed this on the invoice! I'd bring my own Moly. They will charge you probably 2hrs labor. Then I would get on an 8000~10000mi program to do this myself. It's easy, really, and will prevent what I went thru at 20000mi.
  • Replace the front springs w/ a set of ProgressiveSuspension springs. About 60bux, and you can do this yourself easily.
  • Install a voltmeter to monitor the battery. Could save you a tow if the charging system starts to misbehave....
That's it....
Altho I have a rather long list of mods or upgrades, these are the 5 things the 750 needs, IMHO. The rest is CLAP and general maint.
There are of course all kinds of experiences related here and elsewhere, but, beside the stator and maybe the ACCT, I can't think of any widespread, recurring issues that are not mostly preventable....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: long term problems with the VN 750?

awesome... thanks for the insights. I'm about a week away from buying my VN 750.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Forum Faciliator

Yes, you can get beefier springs from www.tocmanufacturing.com. But you should not have to worry about them for at least 12K miles and then usually preloading them is sufficient.

Other week spots are:
- stock wet cell battery - when you make your deal with the dealer, have him put in a sealed gel battery at no cost to you. It does not cost him anything to do this and the other battery is new so he can sell that to some other sucker.
- rear splines may not be lubed from the factory, although it has been mainly the 03/04 models with that problem, hopefully they have corrected that mfg defect by now. It is not a difficult thing to check yourself but would require removing the back tire. Details on that procedure is here:
http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike2....%20Lubrication
- Stator. Some preventive procedures are also at the above page. See stator fusing procedure and regulator relocation.

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_4x4
... snip... Is there an upgradeable spring in the aftermarket that will fix the problem?

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement