Front Fork Bag - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Front Fork Bag

Put a little leather bag on my front fork. Secured it around the fork and the crossbar where the horns are mounted. Figured that it would stay put nice and high above the fender. Ideal place for my camera a bandana and a good cigar. Looked great, until I noticed that my fender right under the bag was scratched. Didn't realize the the front shocks allowed the wheel to travel up that far. Came home and quickly removed the bag, took out the compound and did a little rubbing to restore my good looking fender.

Has anyone got a solution to this front bag problem? Is there a way to put a small bag in the front and attach it high enough so the wheel/fender doesn't come up and bang into it over the bumps? All opinions welcome.

"Gemguy"
Fred K. VROC #389
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Put a little leather bag on my front fork. Secured it around the fork and the crossbar where the horns are mounted. Figured that it would stay put nice and high above the fender. Ideal place for my camera a bandana and a good cigar. Looked great, until I noticed that my fender right under the bag was scratched. Didn't realize the the front shocks allowed the wheel to travel up that far. Came home and quickly removed the bag, took out the compound and did a little rubbing to restore my good looking fender.

Has anyone got a solution to this front bag problem? Is there a way to put a small bag in the front and attach it high enough so the wheel/fender doesn't come up and bang into it over the bumps? All opinions welcome.
As soon as I can get to my daughter's digital camera, I'll snap some pics of my fork bag.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The only way I'd put a fork bag on a VN 750, would be to remove the front brake "coupler" and the Kawasaki logo thing, and make a bracket that held the bag forwards-away from the forks.
Fender problems have been reported, but scratches and wear to the fork tubes are even worse. If you want to carry a few small items on the bike, get a tank bag, of set of saddlebags.
Or put a bag on the back, either using a luggage rack or building a mount so the rear fender does not suffer the same fate.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 PM

here is what i got, doesn't hit. relocated horns. holds tool bag, and 2 sets googles. would not trust it for camera.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Mine seats on top of my light bar.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...r/100_0811.jpg

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM

Unless you take off your tank bag and wax underneath (how often I don't know), after a few years of use, it will create a wear mark on the paint of the tank.

On one of my magnas, I have a fork bag mounted to the left side grab rail (don't have any saddle bags mounted so it is better than nothing).

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

What I use as a small capacity carry bag is one of the small (China-Mart +/-$4.98)) semi insulated 6pk type box w/hard plastic liner inside (approx. 8"H x 10"L x 10"H), on the seat behind me, it serves as a back rest also, but must be removed for 2 up riding... In my case it carries a short bicycle drink bottle frozen 1/2 full and add 1/2 water, my chewing tobacco, and I keep some other small items there also... Works great tied down to the sides in front w/rawhide straps, and in the back w/bungie cord...
I am thinking about having a black leather cover for a hard Alum. box made this winter, it should look better... I did carry my larger DSLR camera in a rear bag, but have since bought a smaller P&S type camera (Canon G9 12.1 mp w/6X Opt. zoom) that I can carry on my belt for faster access, and it seems to do about as good as the DSLRs...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
... In my case it carries a short bicycle drink bottle frozen 1/2 full and add 1/2 water, my chewing tobacco, and I keep some other small items there also... ...Old Dog...
Note to self - Never ride behind Old Dog . . .

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Note to self - Never ride behind Old Dog . . .
Hmmm, wondered why they always made me ride in the rear, thought it might have been I was the better rider...lol...
Scoop; You sure busted my bubble...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I have a tool bag on my forks and there is no sign of damage to the fork or fender. I have it strapped on so it covers up the kawasaki name plate. it doesn't touch the fork and is no where near the fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement