opinion Question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
notmechanical

Question opinion Question

Just sold my bike. Going to get another next year. Question is what should i get. My budget will be no more than 5,000. I cant decide on getting another vulcan but newer, buells have sparked my curiosity but have heard from birth that harleys break down frequently. I know this is really just a personal choice really but with everyone here i feel there is a broad spectrum of stories......like has anyone bought a rebuilt older bike (triumph/indian ect) if done right are they practical for everyday use? would parts be ridiculous? I love bobbers to but more into the hybrid type bikes......To many choices my head just exploded. ive also thought about a nice Nighthawk or something like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 PM

I think yer lookin fer something like a Vulcan 900 Classic (not the LT)....something you can go on long trips with is needed, yet still light and nimble enough for around town......easily customized as well....
...and Harleys only break down when their owners allow them too.....Ive had MANY Harleys over the years, and worst I ever had was a flat tire....

Personally, Im keepin my VN700, and then gettin a long hauler like the Vaquero.....tradin Mom's Camry in as soon as she passes....that way I got 2 bikes, 2 purposes.....I dont need no 4 wheels....mebbe I'll find an old beatup chevy pickup fer winter....

Last edited by Wolfie; 07-02-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I think yer lookin fer something like a Vulcan 900 Classic (not the LT)....something you can go on long trips with is needed, yet still light and nimble enough for around town......easily customized as well....
...and Harleys only break down when their owners allow them too.....Ive had MANY Harleys over the years, and worst I ever had was a flat tire....

Personally, Im keepin my VN700, and then gettin a long hauler like the Vaquero.....tradin Mom's Camry in as soon as she passes....that way I got 2 bikes, 2 purposes.....I dont need no 4 wheels....mebbe I'll find an old beatup chevy pickup fer winter....
I'll x2 Wolfie's recommendation of the Vulcan 900. Though, I got the Custom myself rather then the Classic, but unlike him, I like the thin front tire
it all comes down to personal preference.

I can say that the 900 is a very comfortable bike, I've put a little over 4,000 miles on it so far in the almost 3 months that I've had it.

As far as being able to ride it long distance, I'll find out for sure next week. Going on a 2,000 mile round trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway, Deals Gap, and back.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
notmechanical

I really like both bikes, good suggestions as always.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardcastle View Post
have heard from birth that harleys break down frequently.
I firmly believed the same thing, for nearly half my life. I owned 3 HD's.

Not true any more. For some time.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

2002 to 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 for around $4000. Kinda thinking about one myself.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM

if yer gonna do a V-Star, I suggest the V-Star Classic....lot more comfy....thats the seat Im usin now on my VN....and my bony azz loves it...although over winter, I wanna add a gelpad....

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 AM

I have a 2008 VN 900 Classic LT and I love my bike. It's quick enough but it has legs on the open highway. I cruise at around 70 with no complaints. I had her up to 90 with north of moderate vibration. I wouldn't travel distance at that speed. When the 900 came out I was convinced this was the right move for me coming from the 750. I bought mine used two years ago and cannot stay off of it. Thirty years ago I use to say that about my girlfriend. I see lots of larger bikes out there and other bikes that run well in the city. The 900 seems to do everything well with plenty of extras out there for upgrades. I have a barons big air kit and V&H flat black slash cuts on her. Never did hook up the fuel kit as the dealer did a sweet job tuning her up with the mods. I'm currently riding without my windshield and backrest on the bike. I'm putting on a crash bar tomorrow and if I can figure it out a tachometer as well I picked up off of Ebay. There are so many of these bikes out there you can come across deals on Ebay on parts or upgrades. Good luck choosing!

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Mod

Don't leave out the Honda Shadow. 1100 or 1300. Love mine. Also, coming from a vn750 you may not like having the speedo in the tank, Takes your eyes off the road. Just a thought.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 11:35 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
Don't leave out the Honda Shadow. 1100 or 1300. Love mine. Also, coming from a vn750 you may not like having the speedo in the tank, Takes your eyes off the road. Just a thought.
....except for fill up time, who looks at the Speedo ? LOL

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement