Got a new bike that actually runs! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Got a new bike that actually runs!

Its the craziest thing, I get on the red and silver bike parked next to the vulcan in the garage, turn the key and push a button and VROOM! it fires right up!
Thursday I was making my one of my usual twice weekly trips to the stealership in town to trade even more cash for new parts for basketcase. While the kid behind the counter was looking around for parts they failed to order yet again I was over at the connie dripping drool all over the shiny new paint. Then I noticed a KLR 650 tucked into a corner. It was the last 07 model they had since the 08 updated model has come out. A bottom dollar was agreed upon and I loaded it up and brought it home. Sure its ugly but its dependable. Those bikes have traveled all over the world. And just today my purchase of a bike with nobbies was verified when I had to hit the ditch due to a house being moved down the road. Had I been on the vn I would have had to turn around and go sit in someones driveway while the house cruised by.
So the vn sits just waiting for further carb work. I just havent been able to find the time since Im enjoying the new toy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 AM
85 VN 700

Right on! Someone at school rides one of those (I think) pretty frequently and seems to like it. He does have a bigger (plastic) tank for it, looks funny but it lets him go farther between gas stops (kinda important when you're in the woods in the boonies).

I've kinda considered getting something similar as "the other bike" and probably eventually will... (along with a wing and a crotch rocket and a newer vulcan style bike)...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

curtis you cant go wrong with one of these things. it goes everywhere and seems to be rock solid. i just finished a three day trip and now have 1,250 on the clock. it cruises at 90 at six grand and will do it all day long. the bad you ask? standard seating position gets old after an hour, however the seat is long and flat so you can adjust your position to make it better. the stock seat sux. feels like riding on a 6x6. its a great adventure bike but after 400 miles today I wish that the vn was behaving and I had taken that on the trip.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
AND THAT , in a nutshell , is why I only buy new bikes. My Vulcan 750 , I bought new ......and it fired up fine everyday for the 4 years I owned it. No problems at all, just added gas and changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
So far , my 06 FJR is doing the same thing.

My dad always told me that if you buy a used car or bike , your just buying someone elses problem. I can understand the financial reasons why someone would buy a used car, but not a used bike.
KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:08 PM
85 VN 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
AND THAT , in a nutshell , is why I only buy new bikes. My Vulcan 750 , I bought new ......and it fired up fine everyday for the 4 years I owned it. No problems at all, just added gas and changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
So far , my 06 FJR is doing the same thing.

My dad always told me that if you buy a used car or bike , your just buying someone elses problem. I can understand the financial reasons why someone would buy a used car, but not a used bike.
KM
Agreed... I'll probably never buy a NEW car (rather I'll eventually buy 1-2 year old cars with most of the depreciation taken care of)... for now my vehicles remain old enough to vote...

With bikes however (especially "lower end" ones), the price difference between a new bike and an "almost new" bike isn't so significant... add to that the fact that most "almost new" bikes have been ridden (or trailered) home, taken on (Maybe) a couple thousand miles worth of rides over the summer, and then garaged with old gas...

Not that I'm bitter.... (my bike supposedly had rebuilt carbs... then sat for several years... so I've gotta pull those carbs soon to get rid of issues I've been having off and on for years... more so now that the *&$% winter gas is here.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement