VN750 Life Span? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

VN750 Life Span?

From reading a lot of the posts on this board, there's a lot of low mileage bikes owned here. I had close to 70K on my '85 Goldwing that I traded for my '95 VN750 that only had 13K. There's a guy in the parking lot at work with a GL 1000 from around 1980 that is close to 200K with the engine never being opened. What kind of mileage should I expect to be at when this little jewel finally gets hard to steer whenever she goes by a junkyard? Most of the high mileage bikers I've talked to swear that it's the liquid cooling that makes them last so long...

Buck

Buck Snorts
Longmont, Colorado
Patriot Guard Rider
1995 VN750
17,000 Miles on 09/01/07
(Haven't named her, in case I have to shoot her for food.)
Slipstream "Enterprise" Windshield for Cold Weather
Coastered
De-Goated & Exhaust Drilled
K&N Air Filters
Re-Jetted & Shimmed
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom Dynamics LED Brake/Tail Light Board
Saddleman Bags
Splines Lubed & New Dunlop on Rear 09/08/07
Relocated R/R w/Bulldogs kit 09/22/07 (Thanks BD)
TOC MCCT 09/22/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, there are 100,000 mile Vulcan 750's out there. But likely not as many as there are Goldwings. Mostly because there are, well, more Goldwings on the road to start with, and most GW owners buy them specificly to do some long distance touring on.
The fact that we have member here representing every model year of the Vulcan, (1985-2006) does show the longevity that this bike can posess. 1985? thats like 22 years old and still running.
Again , total milage wise, your not going to find alot of 200k bikes out there, no matter what the model. The Goldwing being the most likely to look at for just this purpose of course, but what does that mean?
I have seen GW with blown engines at 5k and Vulcans with no work done on them other than oil changes with 45k.
I think the whole "urban myth" that liquid cooled bikes run up more miles than air cooled bikes is totaly based on high miles seen on Goldwings.
I was at the dealer the other day an saw a guy with a Kaw Mach II two stroke triple that ran like a top...
Good maintainance and luck always can make a diffrence.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Wow, Buck, I'd be curious to learn why you traded a Wing for a VN750......

With that said, I think you'll find the basic engine in the VN750 to be as reliable as anything else out there--provided you do the oil changes as you should, and other required maintenance. Stay away from motor oils labeled as "energy-conserving"!!!!!!!!

The VN750 is one of the few cruisers (or bikes!) that has self-adjusting lifters, a centerstand, shaft-drive, tubeless tires, along with complete instrumentation (fuel gauge, tach, etc). It's designed to be as low-maintenance as possible, and as easy to live with as anything else out there.

Some VN750s have an issue with the stator (and so do many other bikes)--but you can search around inside this forum for ways to extend stator life, or get around the problem all together. Watch what you add in the way of electrical accessories--the bike doesn't have much extra capacity (another 40-50 watts). To pick up added electrical capacity, some here have switched all or part of their lighting to LEDs. There are threads here on how to do that.

A major hiccup with this bike is the factory automatic cam chain tensioners. As a rule, they don't last very long.

Fortunately, one remedy for this problem is permanent and relatively easy and inexpensive.

Also: since you've switched from a Wing to our bike, I think you may find that the factory seat on this bike leaves something to be desired, on long hauls. Several remedies are available, depending on your tastes and your budget.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 11-11-2007 at 08:18 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Well, when I bought the GW it was so that my wife and I could travel cheaply. But she decided she was not comfortable all exposed and vulnerable. So I ended up just using it as a commuter. I wasn't using the CB, the stereo, the intercom, etc. And my physical stature is pretty small so my feet just barely reached the ground at stop lights. The VN750, on the other hand gets 15-20 miles per gallon more than the GW, is a LOT more manuverable, and is a great commuter and sport cruiser.

I've already replaced the cam chain tensioners, and done a lot more upgrades over this last summer. See my posts regarding the petcock mod. And I didn't have to remove a plastic body to do any of the work...

Buck

Buck Snorts
Longmont, Colorado
Patriot Guard Rider
1995 VN750
17,000 Miles on 09/01/07
(Haven't named her, in case I have to shoot her for food.)
Slipstream "Enterprise" Windshield for Cold Weather
Coastered
De-Goated & Exhaust Drilled
K&N Air Filters
Re-Jetted & Shimmed
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom Dynamics LED Brake/Tail Light Board
Saddleman Bags
Splines Lubed & New Dunlop on Rear 09/08/07
Relocated R/R w/Bulldogs kit 09/22/07 (Thanks BD)
TOC MCCT 09/22/07
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Buck, What do you have to do to access the cam chain tensioners?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1111 View Post
Buck, What do you have to do to access the cam chain tensioners?
The left (front) one's easy; it's at the rear of the cylinder below the carbs. Just be careful when pulling it out, you have to lift (pry) the oil line over and away from the back stud after you remove that nut, to get the tensioner off if you're gonna rebuild it.

The right (rear) one, you have to remove the coolant bottle to get access to.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post

A major hiccup with this bike is the factory automatic cam chain tensioners. As a rule, they don't last very long.

Fortunately, one remedy for this problem is permanent and relatively easy and inexpensive.
What goes wrong with the tensioners; i would guess they just stop working? Please point me to the inexpensive fix.

thanks

Stone
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

This is in the archives http://web.archive.org/web/200503112...ensioners.html maybe it will help...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement