First ride on my first vulcan - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

First ride on my first vulcan

Well....I took the vn750 out for a little ride today, my fist in ten years and first ever on a vulcan.

On a power scale, it put my old 750 Magna to shame. She's a much louder bike than the Magna, but I expected that. Smooth ride, seems fairly easy to control and once I get the feel of her, I think we are going to get along very well.

Some wind buffetting at 55 (full windshield) but then again, we have a storm rolling in and the wind is blowing about 20 +. Not the best of conditions for my first ride in years, but I just could'nt sit and look at her in the garage anymore.

I did notice a periodic miss at higher RPM's and the front brake is a bit grabby almost like a rotor is out of whack...the shoes look good. Rear brake is smooth as silk.

She does have the common intermit backfire on decel but I'm not sure I can do anything with that without screwing up the California emissions junk. If I can't then I'll just wait a few months till I vacate Cali for Idaho and get er done there.

One thing I don't like much is the placement of the right foot peg. By the time I get my foot off the brake, there ain't much room left on the peg and my big ole' foot felt like it was gonna slip off a couple of times. If they make floorboards or better optional pegs for the vn, that will likely be my first add on.

All in all, "Sasha" (named the bike Sasha just to irritate the wife ) is a fine machine. Ride long and prosper.........Cassack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
85 VN 700

Knifemaker makes floorboards for the bike (passenger and driver), but I'm not sure when (if) his next production run is - ya might shoot him an e-mail and see.

Kyrukyn (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) also makes some but they're cost prohibitive.

I and some other members have made floorboards based on knifemaker's design. Dimensions and pictures are in his flickr account.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of the VN750 - she's a great bike and you'll love her.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Got it....thanks. I checked out Knifemakers photos on flicker and that should do the trick. I'll shoot him an e-mail. Thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Calif Rider

Cassack the intermittant backfire on the bike is because of the way the air mixture screws are set at the factory for Calif. If they have not been drilled out and adjusted, your bike will backfire on decel. They are set at only 1 and a half turn out for emission control. What most of us have done is drilled out a little lead seal covering the screws and readjusted them. You can check the forum for how most of us did this adjustment.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs