Ext'd. Warranty and R/R Etc.--- - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question Ext'd. Warranty and R/R Etc.---

I was all set to do the R/R this winter and got to thinking (unusual for me)... I got what I think was a good deal on a 4yr. Kaw. extended warranty from the dealer that I bought my cycle from, if you bought your bike from them they would sell you a 4yr. Ext'd. warranty at the cost to you of a 2yr., you pay for 2yrs. and they pay the difference to extend to 4yr... I have about 3 1/2 yrs. left...So my question is,--shouldn't I just leave everything as is just in case I happen to have a failure in a location where I might have to take the bike to an unfamuliar dealer ??? Could they use the excuse, you've moved the rectifier and that voided the warranty on it ??? I don't know it just came to mind as I think it would be covered under warranty... Right ???
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
85 VN 700

Since you're concerned about warranty crap - ya might consider doing what some others have done and order another R/R and leave the stock one where it is. Put the new one where we relocate em to.

Main issue with the r/r going is it can take the stator with it - which best case means a while without your trusty steed, worst case it goes 4 years 1 day after ya bought the bike.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM

If I remember right from one of your other posts, you've de-goated. If that's the case, the main source of heat that impacts the r/r is gone and you shouldn't have much to worry about with the r/r in the stock location.

Of course moving it to a location where it gets more direct air flow could only help. You may check with the dealer and see if moving the r/r would void the warranty. My gut feel is that it wouldn't because you're not actually changing anything except where it's connected to the bike. You don't have to mess with the wiring or anything that would void a warranty. I'd ask though, just to make sure.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Curtis; I like the ammo can saddle bags, you should be able to get a bunch of stuff in them, I like large saddle bags, never know what you might need... BTW-Are you a shooter ?? I shot rifle competion through 05, but have'nt shot any to amount to anything in the last year or so...
BigT;you are right about the degoat, but I only turned the exausts streight through, the goats belly is still in place, the exaust going streight through should help reduce the heat a bit, but not eliminate it like seperate pipes would have...I think my only real concern should probably be keeping the splines lubed... Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 AM
85 VN 700

OD - thanks - I am able to get a bunch of stuff in the saddlebags - I'm a fulltime student that also happens to work, and I ride the bike year round so I need the space. I can fit all the books for a term, rain gear, and some groceries if needed in em.

Haven't shot a gun in almost 5 years, used to shoot my pistol at the range pretty frequently. Once my daughter is older (she's 3) and I'm done with my degree and am able to move out of this hellhole (crappy mobile home park where I would NOT trust a gun even in a safe bolted to the floor) I'll get a gun again...

I've kinda thought about going with a military theme on the bike (though it'd require spare fenders and tank - and new but "Stock colored" ammo cans) and might do the same eventually.... gosh knows the ammo cans could stand to be replaced (I've slid in the rain on one side, had a first rain oops on the other).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement