Need help from Cali Riders - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Need help from Cali Riders

Just picked up my first vulcan a couple of weeks ago and my permit today. The DMV book clearly stated that while riding on the permit, I'm not permitted to ride on the freeway, at night or carry a passanger (which makes perfect sense to me).

When I returned to my office, I read a statement on the bottom of the permit which also states that I must ride with a non-provisional licensed driver of the classification of vehicle that I am operating who can take control of the vehicle in the event of an emergency (not exact wording, but I'm too lazy to get the permit off the bike right now).

My question is, If I am to comply with the above statement, would that person (licensed driver) not also be considered a "passenger" under any legal definition and thus in violation with the permit restriction #3????

Seems to me like strapping a novice rider with a passenger on his/her first few rides is potentially dangerous for both given the changes in handling characteristics when riding two up. I further doubt that anybody on the back seat can take control of the bike in the event of an emergency without first throwing off the novice.....

Perhaps my intrepretation is what is in error.

Thoughts, comments appreciated???

Signed: Confused Cassack in Santa Ynez..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Old Truck Junkie

In most cases this means that u need a licensed for motorcycle 18 yrs of age or over and to be within sight. This person could be riding with u seperate bike or watching from a parking lot. As long as they within sight. I guess they are to call 911.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 AM

What niterider said, but add 'in a cage' to that list. Not from california, but all the permits i've seen around here say something similair (md, va, dc). And basically, yeah, just have someone who can ride in case of emergency with you -- following in a bike, cage, or supervising the parking lot.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM

That is really odd, i don't recall any of that on my permit, it was just that i had to ride alone in the day time and not on freeways. And in the MSF course i took for my license (which i totally recommend, i thought i knew how to ride, i did not but thanks to MSF i now do) never even mentioned that just reinforced the no freeway thing because you had to take a freeway to get to the course so they said don't ride there take a car or get a ride ya know.

Now i want to dig it out and look in case i missed something, but from everything I know you should not need a licensed driver to be with you while you have the permit. Mind you I'm not a cop/dmv official/etc, but hey check out BARF (Bay area riders forum) In the LEO (law enforcement officer) area. Most of the guys in there are bike cops and are happy to answer questions on this sort of things, or just search past threads and see if you get lucky on permit questions.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Hey California riders; I live in Tn. and traded my 03 for an 06... The new 06 bike after a short sit while hot (eng.off), like stopping for a coke or gas or whatever, would start and take off then fall on its face stumbling along, danged near got me hit a time or two... Guess what, I had a California VN750 !! The California emissions control was the problem... The engine heat was heating the gas tank or something and causing the problem... Have you folks had that problem with the Cal. Mods. ??? I fixed mine, but you probably can't legally fix yours... I got on the Kaw. Rep. that came by the shop and was told that they could legally sell Cal. bikes anywhere, but not the other way around...
I just jumped in here where I have no bussiness, as a caution to the stumbling problem I had with the Cal. emission thing... Hope yours don't have that problem...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have a Cal '93 and I haven't had the "stumbling" problem you mention. However, there is a label on the gas tank that warns you not to overfill the tank or hard starting or other rideability problems could occur. This happens when raw fuel gets into the charcoal canister of the evaporative emissions system. That could have caused your problem.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Hmmm, I don't remember a warning label, but it didn't just happen after fillups, it would happen mostly after a rest stop, say even when the tank was 1/2 full... But I do tend to fill-er up so to speak... No fuel gets into the canister now though...lol... Runs great now...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM

It's interesting how each state differs in what they dictate a permit carrying rider can do and can't do. Here in Washington state when you're using a permit you can't have a passenger and can't ride after dark. Aside from that, press on and get your experience built up.
I can't imagine being restricted from riding on a freeway.
And requiring another person that is legally authorized to operate that same type bike present and available to me sounds very restrictive.
When I had my permit I was riding up and down Mt Rainier and basically going all over the place free and clear as long as it was in the daytime. You can't always find people to ride along with you.
This reminds me of a similar thing with concealed carry permits for weapons. Each state has it's own peculiar rules but Washington state is pretty good about how they look at it.
Some states are so restrictive in their rules as to almost make it not worth "packing" at all. This bike permit thing of no freeway and requiring that other person be present strikes me almost of the state not wanting bike riders at all.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It's California, what do you expect???

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
It's California, what do you expect???
Ya. Nothing surprises me anymore in Cali.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement