Engine Heat Deflector??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Engine Heat Deflector???

Is there or has anyone found a way to deflect the heat coming from the engine to stop blowing it on the legs? I am courious cuz i like to do a lot of around town riding and the bike reaches normal temp pretty quickly by doing this. I am thinking if i cant find something i might have to go out an buy a 150 cc scooter just to cruz around town.....
Please Help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 PM
85 VN 700

Never been a problem for me - hell, I almost wish I could get MORE heat from the engine during this time of year.

I do wear full pants (jeans) since I don't like the idea of burns/ roadrash if that makes any difference (I don't know if ya do).

I'd think that in WI around this time heat from the engine wouldn't be an issue as well as everthing is functioning as it should.

How fast ya going around town and is the fan going? The only time I feel warm air is when the fan is going.... but it rarely kicks on on my rides (including in town riding) as long as I'm above about 20.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

i am doing roughly 25-30 but all the stop and go lights and stop signs. The fan does kick in which makes it unbarable to ride on warm days. The heat is good this time of year but not during the summer when i just want to ride around town.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM

That's an interesting observation. I don't remember seeing someone posting a similar thread before. As with Curtis, mine doesn't bother me either.. I wonder if anyone in....... oh say Phoenix for example has similar issues. My Mach 1 used to hate going in towards Central Avenue due to all of the stoplights and 115 temps.
I've not noticed even noticing any heat sensations coming from my Vulcan though. Of course, I don't live in Phoenix anymore.........
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Before I moved to the land of dirt track racing, I lived near Vancouver (wa). I too was uncomfortable with the placement of the rear jug and the closeness to the front of the seat. The fan was hot, but with my short legs, the right chrome heat guard on the top of the rear head was very hot when stopped.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Heat was never a problem with me either, but if you are only traveling 25-30mph "around town" , you likely are not helping the bike out either...wear and tear wise and charging wise.
Yes, get a scooter...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Does it really hurt our bikes that much if we ride around town?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.1bearsfan View Post
Does it really hurt our bikes that much if we ride around town?
Well...it kinda depends on how much low speed riding you are doing, as in how long and how often you stop. If you live 6 miles out of town and ride in at 55 mph then spend only ten minutes riding around before stopping, then ride back home..you are likely alright. But if you run from store to store, turning the bike off and on, along with riding in stop and go traffic, your not doing good things to the bike.
Generaly you need to avoid stopping and starting the bike frequnetly in short time spans...as this puts some strain on the battery, along with the engine itself if the bike never gets to run long enough to charge properly, and constant stop and go is bad for any engine.
Many folks when riding in parades notice the battery never charges well, and add to that riding a liquid cooled engine at a slow pace tend to make it overheat.
Other than putting a strain on the battery, you likely won't notice any detremental effects right off, but they add up. Short trips (less than 8 miles?)are bad for the oil, and thus can be bad for the engine.
If you "finish" a ride of stop and go with a nice 15-20 minute ride at cruising speeds , you are doing yourself and the bike a favor.
But don't get paranoid about all this, just keep an eye on the temp gauge ...a voltmeter is a nice thing to have too , so you can moniter the battery. Most folks don't keep the engine turning at higher rpms when riding around town...part for noise and part for just making the bike hotter, but the bike does need to get its rpms up for at least a little while to make sure the battery charges.
So moniter your "in town" riding habits and see exactly what kind of running the bike is subjected to.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

But is it normal if you are riding at highway speed for about 30 minutes then hit a bunch of stop and go lights should the engine heat up quickly??? Because after a Few of my rides like after the first 2-3 lights the engine is at the normal temp right away. Otherwise it is like at the 2nd bar of the cold side when i am at highway speeds. Would diffrent engine collant help me out???
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.1bearsfan View Post
But is it normal if you are riding at highway speed for about 30 minutes then hit a bunch of stop and go lights should the engine heat up quickly??? Because after a Few of my rides like after the first 2-3 lights the engine is at the normal temp right away. Otherwise it is like at the 2nd bar of the cold side when i am at highway speeds. Would diffrent engine collant help me out???
sounds normal to me. my bike responds the same way. dont know how you would improve. if it got into the red, another story. ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement