OK I think I'm Keeping the VN, But need Advice-Help ! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question OK I think I'm Keeping the VN, But need Advice-Help !

I think I will not trade for the 1200R Sportster...-- OK, here is what I have done so far to the VN750, I have added homemade Hwy. bars and turned the exaust streight through the muffler (I believe y'all call it the goats belly) and pulled out the packing in the ends of the pipes (both take offs from my 03 VN), added zip off saddle bags, and a $5.98 china-mart backrest (drink box tye for backrest & storage), and the little rear chrome rack w/a storage bag, corrected up the speedo w/110x90 (D404) front tire... Went to PureOne oil filters and Rotella T 5w-40 Syn.oil, (is that good ??)...Now I guess I need to marble, get the better spark plugs, and listen to the good advice here and do whatever seems to work for you Folks... BTW-My 06 VN came new with 2 different brands of spark plugs, 2 of one brand in front Cyl. & 2 of a different brand in rear Cyl., did that have something to do with the killer California emissions control or what (Why did they sell me a Cal. bike here in Tenn.??-- Now hopfully cured)---OK,Now for the questions --(Dependability being 1st order--Performance 2nd if I can't have both)--I am running NGK DPR 8EA-9 spark plugs that seem a tad on the light color side (hot), is this OK or should I go a bit colder and if so what plugs do you recommend??--Marbleing--Should I do this, and if so what changes do I make other than the marbles (carb.)??? Also on cold starts it seems as I am running on only 1 Cyl. for a minute or so, would that indicate my Carbs. need syncronizing or what ???-- I am running the stock rear tire, and it is worn a bit, should I go to the fatter tire (170x80) when I replace it, if so is there a clearance prob. ???---What other things do I need to do during the cold weather season ???---BTW--I have 8,100+mi. on the bike (kinda low for me due to some surgery and couldn't ride for a spell)... Hope I didn't ask tooo much...Hey, I think I should mention something about the Cal. emissions that gave me a serious problem... When the warm bike would sit 5-15 min., like when you stopped for gas and a coke or whatever (eng. off), when you started up and pulled out it would start out good then have a serious stumble, so California folks be careful when you pull out in front of traffic, don't get your arse kicked by a 4 wheeler... I think the heat from the engine was pressurizing the gas tank or something... Thank y'all very much for any and all help...Have a good one...Old Dog...
[Edie] BTW-What is R/R Rel., is that relocated rectifier?? If so where to??

Last edited by Old Dog; 11-06-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM

I can't help with any of your questions, except for the r/r relocate. The reason for the relocate is to get the r/r away from the goat's belly where it sees way too much heat. Relocating now will save you some heartache in the future. I'd also suggest looking at the splines on your final drive. A lot of the later model 750's came with little or no lube on the rear splines and with 8100 miles you're getting close to the maintenance interval anyway.

Fergy has some good stuff here on the spline lube, the r/r relocate as well as some other good stuff. Both the r/r relocate and the spline lube should take less than an hour with the steps that Fergy's laid out and it doesn't take a mechanic to do it.

Good luck, I'm sure some folks will be along with some answers to some of your other questions.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Thanks for the link Big T;--Fergy had some good info on the R/R & spline lube, I'll be into that this winter..Thanks again, and have a good one...Old Dog...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
I do have some RR Relo kits made up if anyone is interested.

http://www.bulldogsbike.com/relorr.htm

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You don't need to "marble" ...I never did on my bike at it ran like a top...this is just something to do if the popping under rapid de-accelleration bugs you.

Use the stock heat range, but use iridium plugs. Make sure if you "de-california'd" your bike you are using the "non CA" spark plugs..(if there is a diffrence, can't remember)

I'd also keep the reat tire the stock size , but go to a 110 in front when the time comes.

If it seems to run on one jug when you start it cold...just let it warm up some...slowly back the choke off until it revs fine without the choke and doesn't stall. Most folks don't use the choke properly or do not warm up the bike enough.

Syncing the carbs should not effect idle anyway..and with CV carbs is not a big problem on this bike unless you suspect they are way out of whack.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Knifemaker; The bike does run great, but the popping does bother me, but only a tad... So what is Iridium plugs, and what number (heat range) do folks like in their VN 750s, where do you get them (auto parts store) ??? Good to know that the temporary single cyl. run is no indication of carbs out of Sync., I just thought that might be a sign they were out of sync... I will probably do the R/R this winter as most think the heat is a killer on the rectifier, and do the spline lube... I do have the 110x90 on the front, but don't see much advantage to the 170x80 on the rear unless I could run less pressure for a tad softer ride, but really the ride is ok now...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

Last edited by Old Dog; 11-06-2007 at 06:28 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Knifemaker; The bike does run great, but the popping does bother me, but only a tad... So what is Iridium plugs, and what number (heat range) do folks like in their VN 750s, where do you get them ...

From the Vulcan Verses:

Just thought I'd mentioned this as it might save someone a few bucks. There was a discussion on the group a little while go about these plugs (DPR7EIX-9) and where to get them. The internet lowest price was around 7 bucks plus shipping. I decided to get some before the Gathering and thought I'd try locally to save the shipping. I looked on the net at the chains here locally (Autozone, O'Reilly's, and Advance Auto) and they were all around 10.xx or so. In talking to Dan Tadrick of the group he mentioned he had them and the part number is 7803. Well, if you search for DPR7EIX-9 at the Advance Auto site is comes back at 10.99. However if you put in just 7803, you get several things with the same part number, but one of them is the NGK plug for only 6.96. What's up with that? Anyway, I went to the local Advance store and it is the same plug. So if you happen to have an Advance store nearby (mostly east and some in the midwest), the price is as low as the internet without the shipping. (And yes I'm an accountant so maybe Freak is right about the beancounter part :-). John STL,MO

You folks really need to start looking stuff up yourselves....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
Even old dogs can be shown a new path...
Right!!--Who said..."You can't teach an old dog new tricks" !!--I think that only applies if the old dog is hard of hearing...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement