Kind of Thinking about trading my VN750 for a 1200R-?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Kind of Thinking about trading my VN750 for a 1200R-??

I don't know why, maybe because my riding buddies ride Harleys, maybe because of problems I read about on the VN750, maybe because the Sportster looks better to me, maybe because I am stupid... Probably the last... I know the Sportster has problems as well, I'll have to change the bars, probably shocks, and will probably be out $7,000+ and my 06 VN750 by the time all is to my liking... Anyone here have a Sportster as well as the VN750??? I have heard that some Sportster owners experience hand numbness, some have been known to use oil, some over heat etc.... What will I gain or loose in the Sportster other than (I have a Harley...lol...)???
My VN seems to fit me well, runs good, don't use oil, don't over heat, sounds good, dang, have I answered my own question... I'll be 71 next month and my back is not the best in the world, and I don't want to do something I will regret and have to make another trade... How would you compare the Sportster 1200R to the VN750 ??? Would I be doing good, bad or ugly???
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM

The only thing a Hog is good for is an investment. Don't ride it so it don't break. I understand the final drive belts on some Harleys are #1 very expensive to replace, and #2 difficult to replace. Nearly every ride I've been on with a group of Harley riders at least one breaks down.

My suggestion is a Honda VTX, Kawasaki 900 (or bigger if needed), Yamaha (but they aren't water cooled are they?). The metric dealers are offering some great pricing this time of year even better prices if you find a new 05 or 06 in the showroom.

71 years young? congrats! How about a Bonnie or Trident? but wait, you want something that will get you from point A to point B ;-) (lucas electrics)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Trading a perfectly good running and comfortable VN 750 for a Sportster is, well , Stupid ...(Your word , not mine)
I would think at your age you would be past that point where names matter , and what your freinds think was more important than what you like.
You should be ashamed of yourself for even entertaining the whole idea...

Not going to dump on Harleys here, but for the money , you are still ahead. Harleys will numb your hands and your ass. Your Vulcan is faster , and smoother and doesn't sound like it was made in someones garage.
The only was I would own a Harley is if someone GAVE one to me...and I'd likely trade it in on a BMW.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

I have rode many miles with my riding buddies and the Harleys they ride seem to be almost trouble free, except for a bit of overheat when in traffic in extremly hot weather... I don't want a bigger heavier bike, just a better running & handling bike, lighter would even be better... The only thing age has to do with it is I won't have the time to try or to find the perfect bike so to speak... Yes from point A to point B, but pretty quick...lol... Naaa, I've had Hondas, besides they don't make one I like at all (neither does Kawi now that they have dropped the VN750)... We ride the mountain blacktops, back roads mostly, and I probably have the bike for me anyway... I traded my 03 VN750 due to an oil pump prob. w/humpteen thousand miles on it and the 06 I guess still has me a bit worried although the only prob. I have had with it was a stumbling prob. due to Kawi selling a California bike in Tenn.... The Kawi Rep. said they could legally do that, and they wouldn't take the killer junk off either, so I guess they dang near leagally killed me, but I have fixed that...
Anyway I guess I will stick with what I have as the Sportster 1200R is all I would consider trading for...
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 PM

There is one Harley I would like, but could never buy it. It's the 9/11 tribute road king in fire engine red. Big bike, big bucks, but 10 years from now it'll be worth twice it's value.

BTW, I love Triumph's, BSA's, Norton's, but can only afford my Yamaha XS650 spin off.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 PM

Old Dog youre 71 years old. Cool! Spend your money on fast bikes, old whiskey and loose women and blow the rest. One thing about a harley is that they will hold value, so if you get it and dont like the sporty then pawn it off to some yuppy at or above what you paid for it.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM

:it appears you have answered your question, but you would gain 250 dollar oilchanges per hd shop, plus you would be a member of a cult, kool-aid anyone? seriously, i had heard of high dollar oil changes and asked a friend if it was true. he said 250-300 dollar was the range. of course they check bolts etc. for the money, plus keep warranty going, you probably remember why you bought your 750, plus you bought the second, does that tell you anything? hard to beat overall. having turned 71 yesterday, i can appreciate what you are saying, but i can put 150-200 miles on my 06 without that hot poker running down my back. whtever you ride---keep riding
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The lower end Harley's (Sportsters) don't have a counter balanced engine. It flops around like a fish out of water, hence the numb hands and butt. The leaking probs have been fixed for the most part but the vibration issues from the flopping engine will make the $250 oil change mandatory unless you want to go through every nut and bolt on it yourself.
I was seriously considering the 1200C as I liked the forward controls and the tear drop tank but after seeing one run, I changed my mind pretty quick!! The decision is still yours though. Personally, I'd stick with the 750. It's faster, corners better, and even though it has some weak points, I think dollar for dollar, it is a better bike. Now if you want resale value, buy the Harley. If you want something to ride, keep the Vulcan. My .02.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

aradams, I think you only need to have one of those $200 oil changes (1,000mi.) and get the warranty stamp (whatever that is)... And yes, I pretty much like riding the VN, thats why I am having a tough decision, and am feeling more like I will stay with the VN... We ride about the same as you 150-200mi at a time... My longest ride was a couple of weeks ago, we rode from home (Winchester Tn.) to Deals Gap and rode the dragon tail, then on through Townsend Tn. to Peigon Forge, got up the next morning and rode across New Found gap to Cherokee N.C. and got on the Blueridge Pkwy. and went to Ashville N.C. where I turned around and rode back home to Winchester Tn., all said and done it was about 300mi.+ the first day and about 400+ the second for a total of 700+... I got home between sundown and dark, and my arse was dragging my tracks out... The reason I returned was to get my camera as the scenery was beautiful on the parkway and I wanted to get some photos, got the wife and car and returned after a days rest, but the fog and drizzle made for a near fruitless trip... BTW-I worked at Fontana Dam (near Deals gap) in the early-mid 80s, so the Dragon Tail was no big deal to me, other than I was on a cycle this time...lol... And back then you about had it to yourself, now it is crowded with crotch rockets & cops...lol... Good to hear that you are still enjoying riding also, most of the guys I ride with are retired also, most from the railroad... I agree with you, the VN750 is hard to beat especially the type of riding we do, but a lot of folks were saying how good the XL1200 Roadster handled in the twisties and I sort of got the hots to try one...lol... Hey you know the old saying "once a man & twice a child", I intend to enjoy my 2nd childhood, lets ride...lol...
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
PS-Sky Rider, it is to ride, thats it...Thanks again...

Last edited by Old Dog; 11-01-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement