My oil soaked experiance - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Chasin' the blacktop

My oil soaked experiance

Getting ready to go on the ride with the guys in a few days and figured I'd change the oil. Drained as usual, new filter prefilled with 10-40, added to the full mark. Oil screen looks clean. I always dread doing the next step because it generally takes 3-6 seconds before the low oil pressure light to go out. I don't like running the bike dry those 3-6 seconds while the system pressurizes.

Cranks right up and oil light is still on after about 10 seconds at 1500 rpm. shut her off, recheck oil level and try again; still got the oil light blazing red at me. Tried a 3rd time and counted to 30 with the engine between 1500 and 2000 rpm before shutting her off with the red light still screaming "you're running the engine dry!"

Went online and searched, found two posts (one from this site) saying "with the engine running slowly unscrew the filter until a bit of oil pumps out the filter and retighten filter" I find this sage advice along with several idiots who claim they usually have to run the bike around the block before their oil lights go off,,, dumbasses!

Any way, on my hands and knees again with the bike running and I slowly loosen the filter when I suddenly get a huge stream of oil blasting all over me. Lady friend turns the key off in like 1 second as I quickly retighten the filter. Dripping in oil (had just taken my weekly shower an hour before) I toss kitty litter on the floor before topping off the engine oil (2 quarts) Double check that the filter is tight and crank her up. Oil light is off but she's spewing a waterfall of oil over the starter. I toss a bit more cat litter on the floor and run out to buy more oil before pulling the filter, Gasket is doubled up. I guess my loosen/tighten routine screwed the gasket up. With trepidation I mount my last spare filter after pre-filling it and add another quart to the engine. All seems fine now but my floor is covered with kitty litter and now I've got to take another shower,,, bummer.

I still don't know why the oil system wouldn't prime the 1st time. Any ideas?

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1 View Post
Getting ready to go on the ride with the guys in a few days and figured I'd change the oil. Drained as usual, new filter prefilled with 10-40, added to the full mark. Oil screen looks clean. I always dread doing the next step because it generally takes 3-6 seconds before the low oil pressure light to go out. I don't like running the bike dry those 3-6 seconds while the system pressurizes.

Cranks right up and oil light is still on after about 10 seconds at 1500 rpm. shut her off, recheck oil level and try again; still got the oil light blazing red at me. Tried a 3rd time and counted to 30 with the engine between 1500 and 2000 rpm before shutting her off with the red light still screaming "you're running the engine dry!"

Went online and searched, found two posts (one from this site) saying "with the engine running slowly unscrew the filter until a bit of oil pumps out the filter and retighten filter" I find this sage advice along with several idiots who claim they usually have to run the bike around the block before their oil lights go off,,, dumbasses!

Any way, on my hands and knees again with the bike running and I slowly loosen the filter when I suddenly get a huge stream of oil blasting all over me. Lady friend turns the key off in like 1 second as I quickly retighten the filter. Dripping in oil (had just taken my weekly shower an hour before) I toss kitty litter on the floor before topping off the engine oil (2 quarts) Double check that the filter is tight and crank her up. Oil light is off but she's spewing a waterfall of oil over the starter. I toss a bit more cat litter on the floor and run out to buy more oil before pulling the filter, Gasket is doubled up. I guess my loosen/tighten routine screwed the gasket up. With trepidation I mount my last spare filter after pre-filling it and add another quart to the engine. All seems fine now but my floor is covered with kitty litter and now I've got to take another shower,,, bummer.

I never had that experience but you make it sound like it would have been a hoot to watch My 750 always went of in a second or two, you may have had a defective filter to begin with.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Ndr

Ha, yeah... I've done the loosen the oil filter while it was running ONCE.

I didn't have quite the same experience as you there getting a 2nd shower, but still. With me, the oil seal/gasket on the filter got blown out of its retaining ring and oil spewed everywhere. I swear it felt like an eternity with me sitting there starting dumbfounded at the engine spewing oil all over the ground before I jumped up and turned it off.

Rather then use another filter, I just popped the oil seal back in place and spun the filter back on. worked just fine.

Never doing THAT again...

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM

Since reading the advice on here about prefilling the oil filter I have always done it that way and never had a problem with the oil light going off. That is until my last oil change. I consider that one a fluke because the engine was REALLY completely drained of oil since I pulled it to replace the balance dampers before that. When it happened to me, I loosened the oil filter and got a few drips of oil and tightened it back up and all was fine. I did that with the engine off by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1 View Post

Yes. You should have rode the bike around the block.

Even after draining all the oil, all the oiled parts are still coated with a film of oil. Running the bike a few minutes with no oil put back in the machine won't hurt anything. An air bubble in the system should work itself out quickly, and "burping" the filter just makes this happen quicker.

Sorry to say I've never had a problem like this, pre filling the filter seems to always work for me. Never heard of unscrewing the filter WHILE the engine was running. But more sorry you didn't video the whole thing for others to enjoy....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes. You should have rode the bike around the block.

Even after draining all the oil, all the oiled parts are still coated with a film of oil. Running the bike a few minutes with no oil put back in the machine won't hurt anything. An air bubble in the system should work itself out quickly, and "burping" the filter just makes this happen quicker.

Sorry to say I've never had a problem like this, pre filling the filter seems to always work for me. Never heard of unscrewing the filter WHILE the engine was running. But more sorry you didn't video the whole thing for others to enjoy....
Stright from the Vulcan Verses

Quote:
Q: Every time I change my oil ...Blah, Blah, Blah... Any one else getting this?

A: This isn't uncommon. My used '96 did after the first oil change I did. I did pre-fill the filter that first time. Since then it hasn't happened and I'm glad. Some members loosen the oil filter and let some oil out while it's running and find it get's the low pressure light to go out sooner. I would also recommend you change the oil on a warm day and have the oil already warm - in the house the night before, not the unheated garage.

And yes, a video would have been awesome. lol

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

The only time I am going to pre fill a filter is when it is vertical , open end up.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Guess I got lucky with my filter haha. I've done it with a car though. Been underneath and loosing the filter and it just spray me

2007 Kawi ninja-sold
1990 Vulcan 750-sold
2001 Honda Sabre 1100-wrecked then sold
2013 Victory Highball
Ride on wolf
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Is this a real thing? I've not had any such problems. Never prefiled the filter either. A few seconds at idle without pressure isn't going to harm anything though. I have seen that when cold if you let it lop around at 500 rpm you won't generate pressure.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Garage
Best advice is to run the engine until its up to operating temp and then drain the oil while all parts are well luded. Refill and add the empty new filter. When you drain the oil it drains all the way through the pump and pick-up because the filter has an anti bleed back system and it was removed with the filter. When you fill the new filter with oil it puts a block on the air not being able to pass easily through it. The pump is trying to pull cold thick oil up into it on start up. Air is trapped all the way to the pickup. The air is having to compress between the filter and pump in order to push the oil out of the filter so the air can escape and oil can pass just into the pump itself. What you got was oily compress air from the filter!

Never change oil on a cold engine. Starves the bearing so oil. Empty filter will fill in what, 3-4 seconds.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 06-24-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement