Doing research on MMO FEE SAMPLE - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Doing research on MMO FEE SAMPLE

Marvel Mystery Oil that is. I posted I like it and use it, but was not received with much - respect? - from a fellow member of VN750 so I'm researching the product.

Turns out that it is used to de-carbonize engines - aircraft

"Back in the late 1940s and early 1950s, at military air bases there were 55-gallon barrels labeled MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil). I forget the MIL spec number.... We had charts that told us how many gallons of MMO to put in per tank of fuel."
source - Robert Parker

Use the directions on the back for amount to put in the fuel per gallon of fuel (4 to 6 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel). MMO goes through the carburetor as a droplet, broken up like the fuel. When it enters the combustion chamber and the gasoline ignites, it is vaporized and soaks into the carbon buildup on cumbustion chamber walls, valve guides, around the valve stem, and on the spark plug. It soaks into the carbon and eventually loosens it up and it goes out the exhaust system.

go here for free sample:
http://landing.turtlewax.com/sept2007/

And finally read these threads from BMW - good for a beemer, works for me.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?p=253569
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My father who was in the automotive repair busniess (mechanic, machinist, service manager . . .) for 50 plus years swears by it! Does it really work? I don't know for sure but I use it and add a pint to most of my oil changes. To me it adds to the multi-viscosity of the oil.

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil in my 2006 750 since new. I only use it in the gas, I add a few ounces every tank full. I now have 10,000 miles and have never touched my carburaters, it is also a great upper cylinder lube when used in the gas. I'm glad its in there especially when she heat up s little on hot summer days when stuck in traffic, a little lube in the fuel saves wear. I haven't used any in the oil, I 'm concerned about clutch slippage.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 AM

It does seem to work In my earlier life as a mechanic when cars had carbs I have seen it work both in the gas and in the oil.it does wonders for cleaning out the returns in the heads.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sence I am one who has no "respect" for most of the "snake oils" on the market today , I'd be intrested in your test. Am not really sure how you plan to "test" this stuff , as you did not mention that, but I would guess you have two indentical bikes with the same milage on them and you plan to use the MMO in one , and not the other. Then ride each bike the exact same way for the exact same milage and then tear them down and look for a diffrence.
As tedious as this sounds, I do "respect" you for undertaking this test and finding out once and for all if MMO really does anything.

I however point out that in the 40's and 50's , they also thought ciggerettes were good for you and radiation was not that dangerous.

And to Blaze...I had a 2006 with the same miles and never "touched" the carbs either , but then I used Seafoam...

Anyway , anxiously waiting the results of you test.

Knifemaker

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 PM
85 VN 700

I've used MMO, seafoam, and straight gas in my bike. I ride every day. The MMO seemed to make the bike happier, I'll probably pick up another bottle and see if some issues I've been having disappear again (they'll disappear with either seafoam or MMO in the tank, come back when they aren't in there... delaying the inevitable carb pull).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
I've used MMO, seafoam, and straight gas in my bike. I ride every day. The MMO seemed to make the bike happier, I'll probably pick up another bottle and see if some issues I've been having disappear again (they'll disappear with either seafoam or MMO in the tank, come back when they aren't in there... delaying the inevitable carb pull).

I just want to clarify that I do believe that Seafoam, and possibly MMO , do a good job of keeping the carburators clean. Hell, even a good old Gumouit gas treatment should work here.
My contention that use of MMO in the oil, or that when used in the gas also keeps the engine clean is stretching it. All engines get some carbon build up, but after several thousand miles on my Vulcan ,I pulled the plugs, and they looked pretty damn good..this being owed to complete cumbustion in a somewhat lean engine and not attributed to the seafoam.
Other than keeping the carbs clean, being a guy from the "Show Me" state, you are going to have to offer me some pretty conclusive proof that MMO also does all the other stuff folks claim it does.
THNX.
KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Do any of you have to take emission test to get registered,and if you do ,do you test with mmo in your fuel,or do you test with fresh fuel?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
I use MMO as listed on the can. It works. Seafoam will always be my #1 favorite, but MMO has it's uses too. To me, neither of them are "snakeoil".

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement