when do you put the bike away for winter? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

when do you put the bike away for winter?

well, it's almost that time. i've just started to get the bike ready for the winter. took off the windshield, tool bag, and saddlebags. if all goes well, i should have my bike put up for the winter by the weekend. but i'm going to see how long i can keep riding the wife's bike.

so i was just wondering when does everyone else put their bikes away for the winter?

Last edited by ruger; 10-28-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Drink alot and have lots of sex??

Dunno, I don't "put my bike away" durring the winter. Last year we had several 60 degree days right after a snow. Warm enough to ride. A few days of that then later that month a few more warmer days. So, seems pointless to winterize the bike to bed when there is even just a small chance I'll get a ride or two through the winter. On those real cold snowy days however...well, go back to above...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

well, my tags need to be renewed every December. so, i but the bikes away and get new tags in the spring. saves me a little $. also i like to wait until after a few good rains in the spring to make sure all the salt is off the road.

thanks for the good advise!

Last edited by ruger; 10-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.

post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I don't winterize to the point that I get the bike down to where I can not ride it. I add some stuff to the fuel and set a trickle charge on it. Cover it and park it in the car port.

I don't drink and I am too old for a LOT of sex. I do the best I can.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I'm with knifemaker on this one. This may be my first winter, but there have already been several chilly mornings & I survived. Besides I just finished making new saddle bag "Mounts" , shortened the rear signals & added led tail lights (extras not the board) So I've got to give it all a good run before I quit for the season. Basicly, If it's below or at freezing. I'm not going to ride. If it's not freezing out I'll be on the bike. And drink & lots of sex!
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Lebanon, NJ

1st winter here for me too and I plan on doing what I do with all my vehicles. Park it in the garage with a full tank of gas of which I always have some seafoam added.

I went for a 60 mile ride today at 46 degrees and did well except for the very strong cross winds. I'll take it for a ride whenever the weather is above 40 degrees.

I've never had a problem starting my tractor after it has sat all winter in the shed. I do remove the tractor battery and store it in the basement till spring.

The bike will stay in the garage as is. I'll clean it up in the spring.

post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Benjammin'

Since I'm a fair weather rider, I put mine up for the winters. What I have done the past year is put a heavy dose of Seafoam in a full tank of gas- run it until I'm sure the Seafoam is throughout the carbs, then park it in the garage. I use a charger to place one last charge on the battery, then I pull the battery and bring it inside with me where it is warm an toasty. In years past, I have pulled the plugs and shot the cylinders with Seafoam before I put her up, but that may be slight overkill.

For what its worth, I have heard putting the battery directly on a concrete floor will drain it, so I put mine on a board. (May not be true, but at the least, I figure I will prevent any spillage of anything in my house.)

I feel pretty good about the bike's 'hibernation' until I get her out next spring. This procedure hasn't failed me yet.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I have only missed one month of riding in 2 years, I'm in Chicago to.
I add Sea Foam and put a float charger, Park her in the garage and wate for nice days .

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkaggs513 View Post
Since I'm a fair weather rider, I put mine up for the winters. What I have done the past year is put a heavy dose of Seafoam in a full tank of gas- run it until I'm sure the Seafoam is throughout the carbs, then park it in the garage. I use a charger to place one last charge on the battery, then I pull the battery and bring it inside with me where it is warm an toasty. In years past, I have pulled the plugs and shot the cylinders with Seafoam before I put her up, but that may be slight overkill.

For what its worth, I have heard putting the battery directly on a concrete floor will drain it, so I put mine on a board. (May not be true, but at the least, I figure I will prevent any spillage of anything in my house.)

I feel pretty good about the bike's 'hibernation' until I get her out next spring. This procedure hasn't failed me yet.
It is a common misconseption. The only way to drain the battery is to get a current from one post to the other.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Put it up for winter? "ride to live and live to ride and to save gas" I'll be riding to work as much as I can. Washington state is not as cold as it is wet. Rain I can do, ice not good. I'll start it once a week to bring up some lube when the weather turns bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement