Performance Numbers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Performance Numbers

Has any of you guys gone faster than 120MPH on a vulcan?
Dont know if my speedo is reading correct or is it really going at that speed (127MPH). I Only have k&n filters and jet kit., no aftermarket exhaust. But according to some articles the fastest it will go is about 110-118MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I believe our speedos (and most bikes for that matter) read about 10% high, so your indicated 120 could really only be 108 or so. Now if you GPS'd that speed, or trapped that fast in a 1/4, that'd be different.

I gone 120 on my Meanie several times, and my friend on his 06' CBR 1000 passes me like I'm going backwards.

I think that they show higher speeds to actually keep speeds down. Most bikes I have checked are off from 5 - 10%, yet, odometers are right on.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

What size front tire do you have?
Putting a 110 on will put the speedo closer to accurate speed. If you have something smaller than a stock 100 size, it'd make the speedo show even faster.

Also, a nice tail wind, as compared to a head wind, will really help with top speed.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I use the stock bridgestone tires, Ill have to take a peek to confirm its size.
That speed was reached on a looong hiway (with no cops near) following a group of superbikes, who by the way were just fooling around with me. They found it really fun to see a cruiser going at that speed, as they told me later. But none of those guys can really tell me whats the fastest I really went that day. Thats why Im searching for info, some of them agreed it was 127 others say it was more like 120.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
i passed a harley and he was goin 120

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:39 AM

A stock bike can do 115 on the clock for sure. At this speed there seems to be just a tiny wisp of power left in the engine that can get you up to 120 if the circumstances are right, as Hyperbuzzin says - a tail wind instead of a head wind and a long run up. This is on the clock, though - the true speed may be different as everyone says. You and Oglejust have re-jetted your bikes and this seems to add a little extra on the top end. I tried a long run at speeds of 100 - 110 - it was great but I was hard put to get 100 miles out of a tank of petrol. I wonder how you find it with different jets?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Well Simon, as for my case I sense almost no difference with the new jets. But obviously if I get speedy my gas tank wont last much more than a 100 miles. Driven normal at sane speeds I dont get a worse than stock mileage, but maybe its because of the aditional torque figures of the new setting. My advice is that its a cost effective upgrade, and also very cheap.
Im curious about that mean streak of our fellow (93vn750), I supose it can go much faster than 120mph, Even when I havent seen one of those bikes here around. Some dude I know has a 2000cc vulcan and it just runs like hell. How similar is that vulcan to the mean streak?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 PM

Were talkin a 750 Cruzer with what, 60 hp? Its not a rice burner guys. Its a 750 Cruzer.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Of course Im not suggesting the vn750 is a superbike or a sport naked. But she can easily acomplish sport aspirations more like a quick bike than a sleepy, fat easyrider.
I mean shes a nimble, light motorcycle with a revvy engine.
If cruising along at 55MPH for 3 hundred miles on a day is your objective you'll be better acomodated on a nomad 1500 than a relatively light (500cc to 800cc) bike.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, as they say, there is no replacement for displacement. The VN 750 is fast , for a V twin 750. It puts a few larger V twins to shame..until you reach the upper end. Going fast is not just about top speed, bikes are "quick" and some bikes are quicker than others.
You can gear a bike to get a higher top speed, and going over 120 mph may be fun , but the real test to me is 0-60 , or 80 , and one has to look at their bike objectively.
My FJR will go from 0-60 in about 3 seconds. This of course is a no contenst with the Vulcan , but given the engine size , the vulcan is still impressive.
The fastest production car can't make 0-60 anywhere near that, and of course , the power to weight ratio of bikes simply makes them "faster" than your average sports car.
I like to go fast , but in everyday life m there are so few places to do this , illegal or not. Roads in most areas along with traffic make the idea of going over 100 mph a bit insane. The only advantage of most sport bikes is they can get there quickly...then slow down quickly before they attract attention.
The fact that a bike can go 140 mph does not impress me anymore...what does is how quickly it gets there..............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement