Sticky Speedometer... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Sticky Speedometer...

Some of ya know that I ride daily.

I recently took a trip to WV and didn't ride for 5 days (the longest the bike's sat since I got her). The next 2 days, the speedometer didn't work till I gave it a "thump" - but seems to be working well now. So something is sticking, and I don't wanna take the chance of it getting worse. Is there somewhere in the speedo that should be lubed or????

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Curtis, here in the great NW, things gum up. Try oiling your cable with light weight oil; I do this at least once a year. I use Dupont oil with Teflon in a small blue plastic bottle. I think it's 2 or 4 oz size in hardware stores. The Teflon seems to add that extra slickness to the cable.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Uh, WRONG...you do not use oil on the speedo cable, you need to use grease. (as it spins , not moves back and forth) I used a combo of STP and axle grease.
You should remove the cable from the bike, and carfully pull the sleeve off. Becarefull as there are tiny spacers at each end.(little washers)
Clean the cable itself with brake cleaner or some simular solvent, and spray some down the housing to clean the inside. Make sure all is clean and free of solvent, then grease the cable and re-insert it into the houseing. Make sure the spacers are in place, and attach it at the wheel first, then the speedo.
(the cable pulls out at the speedo end)
Make sure it is opperating correctly by spinning the wheel or riding down the street......
The furrels at each end should be tightened with pliers till snug, do not use alot of force.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM

This teflon product is what I use, please accept that w/o the anger and shouting.

There are many ways to achieve the goal (we all want the best for our bikes) and in our wet, damp, soggy climate of the northwest, this is what I found to extend the life of cables. Other parts of the country have different climates. Did you know that Washington state has two rain forests? That's what I'm talking about wetness, mold, mildew. Grease tends to gum things up and cause jumping of the needle while the teflon lube keeps the rotation free. I also stated that I do this once a year - including cleaning and lubing all cables at the beginning of each riding season. My bike is a sport as well as a commuter - and I'll be riding home in the rain today.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sorry, did not mean to shout...or question your use of the "Teflon Product"

The speedo cable is not a "regular" cable, as the inner part spins inside the housing. The shop manual states that this should greased , not oiled. Not really sure what being in a cool wet climate has to do with it as the speedo cable, once installed , does not offer openings for water to enter, unlike the brake cable and clutch cable. Oil would in this enviroment heat up from friction and tend to flow to the bottom of the housing , just as engine oil when heated "runs" in the direction of gravity.
Your suggestion to use "oil" is still "wrong"..just because it works does not mean it is the right stuff to use. As you say you lube this once a year, then I can see you not having any problems , of course.
My intention here was merely to give the poster the correct answer, not an opinion.

KM

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The problem is not the cable. The problem is inside the speedo housing. It will probably be okay on its own. Do not use teflon or grease mixed with honey inside the speedo housing.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

yeah - the problem isn't with the cable - it's with the speedo housing. The speedo is currently working fine (no jumping) and did both times it was stuck after a thump on the housing... I'm just wondering what I can do to prevent the inner workings of the housing from getting stuck again... or if there is anything that can be done...

not sure that it should be lubed - not sure what was causing it to stick...the cable is fine - the housing is where the issue is...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The only thing that you may try is a very little bit of wd 40 or the like. But you would have to remove it and turn it upside down and use a swab to apply the oil and let gravity pull it down into the housing. You don't want a lot of oil in the housing.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
yeah - the problem isn't with the cable - it's with the speedo housing. .....

Yes, sorry, got off an a tanget about lubing the cable.

Your bike is old. The speedo has plastic gears so guessing they are just dirty/wearing some. I'd try some canned air , or low pressure air. Maybe follow up with a quick shot of a fast drying silicone spray.
Then go real fast for awhile....

KM

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

You sure going fast in the rain is a good idea? <G> (not that it stops me... but I'm sometimes not the brightest)

I'll probably take your suggestion of at least blowing the housing out with some compressed air (from the air compressor - I have a dryer hooked up and will clear the line first to minimize water) - maybe lube it... though I was hoping for someone to have had the issue and tell me "such and such worked" or such and such screwed my speedo up...

And WD-40... not something that I'd put in my speedo housing (it's a great water displacer... not much of a lubricant... and it can gum up... NOT what I want).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes, sorry, got off an a tanget about lubing the cable.

Your bike is old. The speedo has plastic gears so guessing they are just dirty/wearing some. I'd try some canned air , or low pressure air. Maybe follow up with a quick shot of a fast drying silicone spray.
Then go real fast for awhile....

KM

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

Sponsored Links
Advertisement