Hard starting, backfiring, rough low rpm's, smell's like gas? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Hard starting, backfiring, rough low rpm's, smell's like gas?

Well I got a new battery, put it in and tried starting the bike, it took quite a while of cranking then shot a blue flame and backfired out of the exhaust.

It finally started but stuttered at about 500 rpm and wanted to die, I raised the idle rpm, revved it and the rpm's now take a lot longer to drop.

The bike smell's like fuel when its started and after you shut it off, previous plug's were black and smelted like fuel before I swapped them out.

Seems to be flooding on it's own? Back-tracking, I got gas from a nearby station that I'd never went to and this all started the next day, I was running on reserve to the station although once I got there it didn't look like it was that low but died more than once getting there, ran better after I filled it up...getting it home, next day was a whole different story, hoping I didn't suck up crap from the bottom of the tank.

Could bad gas cause these issue's? Going to take the tank off and drain it.

Always a huge thanks to everyone who chimes in.

Chris

Last edited by Cruiser; 06-18-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Did you ride more than 5 miles after you got gas before the symptoms started? Sounds like you got a little something in your gas like a lot of alcohol (slow burning with a higher vapor point than gasoline and blue flame) mixed in the gas.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 06-18-2014 at 10:52 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

No, I didn't, the gas station is roughly 1.5-2 miles from my house.

I got 91 but I'm in Iowa and you have to be careful when getting fuel because they put ethanol in a lot of stuff to lower the price but I'm pretty sure this was straight 91.

I went out and took a video later of the bike, it's in the "Show me your VN750", you can hear the ACCT that needs to be replaced but that's when I first noticed it was idling like crap, next morning, wouldn't start.

Now it start's (If it want's) but backfires and stumbles, changed the plugs and gapped them right.

Last edited by Cruiser; 06-18-2014 at 11:22 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 PM

Stuck float.....clean/rebuild carbs, or try my backblow proceedure....

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Wolfie, what would of causes a stuck float? Bike ran great and then this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

you should run 87 not 91 my bike runs like hammer dog crap on high octane but as soon as i get it all out of there it runs fine on the cheap stuff

stuck float can be from any sort of debris in the tank getting into the carbs or from varnish in the float chambers or chunks of dry rotted air filter all kinds of crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Alright, if that's is it, it must of been when I put it on reserve...although I'd like to add one thing.

When the bike was running good, occasionally and I don't mean a lot but a couple times, it would die at a stop light while idling and it's always had a "stutter" when getting on it at 50-55 mph in 5th (stock ear's, no pod's), could this be attributed to the stuck float or maybe it was halfway stuck then?

It has cobra pipes on it, previous owner said it wasn't jetted and didn't need to be.

Just wanted to add this before I tear into it.

Last edited by Cruiser; 06-18-2014 at 11:58 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 AM

Backblow both carbs (my proceedure is stickied in the carb section)...then open up both low speed mixture screws to 2 3/4 to start with....stock carb settings are way too lean for this "finely engineered machine"....lol...

Might need to backblow twice...if real dirty...can try to run some SeaFoam thru the tank first (couldnt hurt), but that wont dislodge solids....

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I agree with dropping to lower octane. Runs hotter slightly but better ignition. I have certainly had bad gas at a station just as you describe. went to one I normally didn't go to. So especially if you buy higher octane. Not as much turnover in the inground tank so it can get water in it.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

I considered the float and it's a possibility but I still suspect the fuel in the tank has a little something extra in it like a fair amount of alcohol.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement