Thinking of getting back in the saddle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting back in the saddle

Greetings everyone,

I've been sans bike now for over three months and it is absolutely killing me. I desperately want to get back on that horse. The major thing holding me back is that my family is going to be very nervous about it.

(quick re-cap for those of you not on the forum about 3 months ago...I totalled my 2006 VN750 on I-270 at about 50 mph thanks to some recent road construction...bastards)

But, I'm not sure I can hold out much longer. I've been scouring craigslist and ebay just about every day. But, I'm leaning toward getting another brand new bike. Since they no longer make the VN750, my options are to pick up one of the few 2006's still on the shelf, grab a 2005-2006 with few miles, or go to another bike.

So, here's my question, and I apologize for the blasphemy...have any of you driven a Suzuki Boulevard M50? What are your thoughts in comparison to the VN750? Any known mechanical or electrical issues (like our well-known R/R and rear spline lube problems)?

I'm still on the fence both about getting a bike at all and between whether to get an old VN750 or another model. But, I do like the looks of the blacked out version of the M50.

Best to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Got a friend who has one.
Let me start by saying it is a great bike. Similar in size to the vn750, similar in power, and laid back more as a chopper than a cruiser.
The only thing is that you wont find some items that come standart on the vulcan, but hey thats ok.
Anyway I would consider the vn a little more of my taste after all. I dont know, maybe Im getting too used to it like a wife.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 PM

I know what you are going through. I dropped my bike in the rain on I-85 back in June. The insurance company wanted to total it. I gave some serious thought to getting a different bike for a replacement. However I realized the insurance company was undervaluing the bike and overvaluing the repairs. It took several weeks of discussion, but I won out and got a settlement that would repair the bike (as long as I did some of the work myself). It was well into August before mine was 100 % again. I've put nearly 1,000 miles on it since the repairs were complete. I am really glad I stuck with it. I've had my VN750 for 3 years and I can't imagine another bike having the features and handling of that one. I may get another bike someday, but it will probably be as a second bike, not a replacement.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 AM

Have you looked at the Kaw 900s.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I like the looks of the M50 better, though. It's a little more modern looking. Also, the Vulcan 900 is belt drive, I prefer shaft drive like the VN750. The Vulcan also costs a little more, not much, but a factor that weighs in favor of the M50.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

My son has an '06 M50 that I have ridden. It is an OK bike but not as nimble as the Kaw and the brakes don't compare well at all. On the plus side, it has lots more room for both rider and passanger.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM

If you go to www.vroc.org and look in the classifieds folder someone is selling an '04 vn750 with 4500 miles on it..........

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

new tires (OEM Stones) 6/2008
home made floorboards (knifemakers styling)
stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
clear alternatives brake & tailight 8/2008
Added Mutazu hard bags 3/2009
added customLED load equalizers for the bags LED lights 3/2009
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...not sure if it's the one you meant, but I saw an '01 with 4300 miles and its very nice looking. Not sure what that "chin spoiler" is all about...looks a little strange, but I like the forward controls and it looks well cared for.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I still have my vn750 but am not riding it as I have to change the head and cylinder gaskets.

I bought an 02' Meanstreak to have something to ride, very glad I did.

There is always used ones around with lower miles that can be had for around $5-6K.

If you don't mind a bigger bike that doesn't handle like one, then check out a Meanie. In production since 02. Very reliable. Put 4K miles on mine and only changed the oil twice.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement